Clough - Nobody Ever Says Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was a man of his times no doubt.
Suspect was he starting out again he wouldnt get away with half of what he got away with then.
Billionnaire owners like abramovic and the mansoors wouldnt let the hired help go on like he did at derby.
Players also were very much tethered by contracts ..it was pre bosman.
No way would they take what he gave out. A 19yo roy keane ( on his first contract ) would be cowed by such a personality. A 27/28 yo keane wouldnt have put up with it.
Keane in trying to emulate clough's despotic ways, when a manager, failed pretty miserably.
Course I wish we had him when it was ok for him to be like he was but nowadays he wouldnt get away with it.
I realise many on here believe treating underperforming players with absolute disdain is the only way forward hence the unabashed adulation.

Wedve been his Brighton had he come to,us & not them

Good documentary here

Including footage of the incident test finished his career

David Moyes take note

Teams enjoyable to watch not your rancid stuff

Last edited:
Google 'workie ticket' and a picture of Bowyer comes up
He was awful for us but scored one incredible goal, a 30 yarder, no idea who against. He went back to forest and I'm pretty sure lifted the EC for them the following season

Insult to put them in the same sentence!

Clough- 2 Titles
2- European Cups
4 League Cups
Cup Winners Cup

Moyes- N/A
Got a couple of teams to Wembley Preston to the championship and Everton to 4th. Won't keep us up though. So he will be lifting the relegation cup soon. Although I'd love to be wrong I can't see it

And another one.
I remember being crammed in the back of a van with a load of lads from Peterlee on the way to some away game.
One of the lads recounted how he'd met Cloughie in a bar somewhere and they started talking about football.
After a short while, Cloughie says-
"Let's talk about something other than football, so we can talk as equals!"

Dunno about that but he was a loveable character who somehow made average players World Beaters.
I mean, Kenny Burns, John McGovern, Frank Clark and many more.
How did he do it ?
John Robertson. Now he became some player under Cloughie.

Well, I might as well tell you now. You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Don Revie. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest f***ing dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Well, I might as well tell you now. You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Don Revie. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest f***ing dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.
You seen the full interview tween him and revie

To think two smoggy lads ended up been Sunderland greats :lol:

Got a couple of teams to Wembley Preston to the championship and Everton to 4th. Won't keep us up though. So he will be lifting the relegation cup soon. Although I'd love to be wrong I can't see it

I'm talking trophies and genuine success though. Gus Poyet got us to Wembley, so what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back