Climate change

Status
Not open for further replies.
One is highly predictable the other is much more complicated. Governments around the world have said fuck off egghead.

The Australian government and the American Republican party have. But they're f***ing idiots. Case in point:

Now you might think it's just some random politician thinking he's disproving global warming because it's snowing outside and he's holding a snowball, but that's the Senator who heads the committee that produces all of America's environmental legislation. Everything America does to fight climate change has to go through him and idiots like him. The scientific consensus is that a lot of the warming is manmade and there's also a consensus that we can mitigate the future effects of climate change by taking various actions. So we should.

Currently in the lake District, I normally reside in county Durham

Not in County Durham it wasn't.

Isn't far off mind. 2014 had the joint highest yearly mean temperature for County Durham since records began in 1880, shared with 1990 and 1949.

We've not had a year as cold as 1892 since 1892.

The yearly high and low are both getting higher. Roughly half a degree since 1880. That's a lot more than it sounds.

*for the maths bods, I took Met office data of monthly means then averaged them again by aggregating them into years. Not pretty but it tells the story

Didn't know how to do this on excel so learnt something new so I have. Getting auto fill to fill in sequence, i.e. Blocks of 12 cells like d1:d13 then d14:d26 is a pain in the arse!

The Australian government and the American Republican party have. But they're f***ing idiots. Case in point:

Now you might think it's just some random politician thinking he's disproving global warming because it's snowing outside and he's holding a snowball, but that's the Senator who heads the committee that produces all of America's environmental legislation. Everything America does to fight climate change has to go through him and idiots like him. The scientific consensus is that a lot of the warming is manmade and there's also a consensus that we can mitigate the future effects of climate change by taking various actions. So we should.
Not since January he isn't. The chair of the committee is now John Barraso [R-Wyoming].

Wiki has this to say about the two:

Inhofe: In the 2008 election cycle, Inhofe's largest campaign donors represented the oil and gas ($446,900 in donations), leadership PACs ($316,720) and electric utilities ($221,654) industries/categories. In 2010, his largest donors represented the oil and gas ($429,950) and electric ($206,654) utilities.

Barraso: Barrasso co-authored and was one of 22 senators to sign a letter to President Donald Trump urging the President to have the United States withdraw from the Paris Agreement. According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Barrasso has received over $585,000 from the oil and gas industry since 2012.

Not since January he isn't. The chair of the committee is now John Barraso [R-Wyoming].

Wiki has this to say about the two:

Inhofe: In the 2008 election cycle, Inhofe's largest campaign donors represented the oil and gas ($446,900 in donations), leadership PACs ($316,720) and electric utilities ($221,654) industries/categories. In 2010, his largest donors represented the oil and gas ($429,950) and electric ($206,654) utilities.

Barraso: Barrasso co-authored and was one of 22 senators to sign a letter to President Donald Trump urging the President to have the United States withdraw from the Paris Agreement. According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Barrasso has received over $585,000 from the oil and gas industry since 2012.

I can't fathom how they - and we probably - have ended up with a system in which elected reps are literally bought and paid for by organsations who will benefit from legislation the people they've bought will write and approve

Surely congress are there for the people not the corporations and wealthy individuals

Seriously why does nobody seem arsed about this it's bizarre

I can't fathom how they - and we probably - have ended up with a system in which elected reps are literally bought and paid for by organsations who will benefit from legislation the people they've bought will write and approve

Surely congress are there for the people not the corporations and wealthy individuals

Most people I know are arsed about it. But they have no choice but to elect them It's the same on both sides to an extent, though the REPs seem to be most susceptible.

They should make them wear patches on their suits like Formula One drivers.

Logon or register to see this image

Isn't far off mind. 2014 had the joint highest yearly mean temperature for County Durham since records began in 1880, shared with 1990 and 1949.

We've not had a year as cold as 1892 since 1892.

The yearly high and low are both getting higher. Roughly half a degree since 1880. That's a lot more than it sounds.

*for the maths bods, I took Met office data of monthly means then averaged them again by aggregating them into years. Not pretty but it tells the story

Didn't know how to do this on excel so learnt something new so I have. Getting auto fill to fill in sequence, i.e. Blocks of 12 cells like d1:d13 then d14:d26 is a pain in the arse!

Sorry like, I don't care what the stats say, last year didn't feel like one of the warmest since records began, it was a piss poor summer and dreary winter. 1976 is what I'd expect a hot year to feel like.

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry. it doesn't matter if people deny it or not. We are doing fuck all about it anyway.

Unfortunately that's true. Common sense would suggest cutting emissions and recycling as much as we can would be good for our present health and future prosperity regardless of climate change.
Sorry like, I don't care what the stats say, last year didn't feel like one of the warmest since records began, it was a piss poor summer and dreary winter. 1976 is what I'd expect a hot year to feel like.
It is a frequently held misunderstanding that global warming will make our country warmer. The Gulf Stream currently keeps our climate as it is. Without the Gulf Stream our climate would be much colder. If the polar ice caps melt dumping lots of fresh water into the oceans they will be less salty and that will affect their temperature and density which, in turn, could affect the currents such as the Gulf Stream. Our climate could end up being noticeably colder.

Unfortunately that's true. Common sense would suggest cutting emissions and recycling as much as we can would be good for our present health and future prosperity regardless of climate change.

It is a frequently held misunderstanding that global warming will make our country warmer. The Gulf Stream currently keeps our climate as it is. Without the Gulf Stream our climate would be much colder. If the polar ice caps melt dumping lots of fresh water into the oceans they will be less salty and that will affect their temperature and density which, in turn, could affect the currents such as the Gulf Stream. Our climate could end up being noticeably colder.
How climate change is affecting annual floods, some are earlier but some are later:

Logon or register to see this image

Climate change has shifted the timing of European floods

Which governments? Ones like Australia's by any chance?
All governments.

It may or may not be true. It doesn't matter because we aren't going to tackle the problem.

That's not what was being said 20 years ago when it was called global warming, then it was conveniently renamed to the catch all climate change (which has happened for aeons). There were grapes grown in Northumberland in Roman times, who was responsible for the cooling down?

Name one who takes it seriously. They all want growth and follow the capitalist doctrine. It's a busted flush. If you think otherwise it's up to you.
Most of them understand it is an issue, I thought you were on about governments who deny that it is happening or that humanity is responsible.

That's not what was being said 20 years ago when it was called global warming, then it was conveniently renamed to the catch all climate change (which has happened for aeons). There were grapes grown in Northumberland in Roman times, who was responsible for the cooling down?
Lack of slaves?

England stopped making wine when Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries as there were no longer any monks prepared to slog all day in the vineyards for little return.

No, I said it is irrelevant if it is an issue or not. They are doing fuck all about it is my point.
Not so. They are doing something about it. Whether they are doing enough is another matter.

Lack of slaves?

England stopped making wine when Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries as there were no longer any monks prepared to slog all day in the vineyards for little return.

What are you on about, were there vineyards in Northumberland in the 16th century? Pay attention man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back