Climate change

I'm not even going to read it but I'll hazard a guess that the author, and you, are deniers.
The author doesn't quite go as far as outright denying climate change, they just say that they aren't sure how big of an issue it is. They also seem to have an issue with lowering emissions at the cost of economic growth, and think that there should be some kind of balance between the two. Personally I'd say the future of the planet is more important than a (relatively) short term boost to the economy.

The author doesn't quite go as far as outright denying climate change, they just say that they aren't sure how big of an issue it is. They also seem to have an issue with lowering emissions at the cost of economic growth, and think that there should be some kind of balance between the two. Personally I'd say the future of the planet is more important than a (relatively) short term boost to the economy.

Do you not feel uncomfortable about anyone with a differing opinion having "DENIER" screamed at them (with accompanying spittle)? It's a religious movement now, failure to attempt to answer valid questions weakens the argument surely?

Do you not feel uncomfortable about anyone with a differing opinion having "DENIER" screamed at them (with accompanying spittle)? It's a religious movement now, failure to attempt to answer valid questions weakens the argument surely?
Depends what the differing opinion is. In the case of the article (if it happened as written) then it's very poor on Gore's part, this scientist that the author mentions certainly doesn't seem to be anything close to a climate change denier looking at what I can find. To be honest I've never been a big fan of how Gore's done things, even if he has helped to raise awareness for climate change, the sensationalism does more harm than good. I disagree with the author over how we should go about dealing with climate change, but I wouldn't outright call them a denier either.

Where does it say anything about screaming and spitting?

Depends what the differing opinion is. In the case of the article (if it happened as written) then it's very poor on Gore's part, this scientist that the author mentions certainly doesn't seem to be anything close to a climate change denier looking at what I can find. To be honest I've never been a big fan of how Gore's done things, even if he has helped to raise awareness for climate change, the sensationalism does more harm than good. I disagree with the author over how we should go about dealing with climate change, but I wouldn't outright call them a denier either.

A sensible response. I don't know anyone who denies climate change anyway, it's like denying oxygen exists, it's the cause of it that's up for debate.

Where does it say anything about screaming and spitting?

It doesn't, I did.

Read it and you'll find out. Classic response by the way.

If I had to guess I'd have you down as a climate change skeptic but only by association and not by anything you've directly said on the issue.

Are you, and if so do you deny that climate change is man-made or at least primarily driven through human action?

It's absolutely anthropogenic IMO.

Climate change.
Hard to be certain but having sizzled through a Spanish summer I hear the locals being concerned. ''30 years ago the rocks were green, now they are white. Birds have disappeared from our valley. ''
I understand that the Great Barrier Reef effectively died these last twelve months.
I ask Juan' The Water Engineer .'
He says 'In 10 years we will have exhausted this water deposit.' This water deposit supplies everyone with water for miles around.
Something is happening.
Famished polar bears skip from one detached ice floe to another.Great cascades of ice are detached from continental shelves. Methane geysers, long since buried under ice , following the retreat of the ice cap, are spewing huge, huge quantities of climate change accelerants into the atmosphere. And in the oceans 8 or is it 80 million tons of plastic are being dumped every year.
As a species we are f***ing up this planet big time.
Best to retreat to the land. Make one tiny part ecological. Don't make my mistake though and get somewhere where there isn't a natural spring.

Climate change has happened before and lot of species died out when it did. It's entirely possible we will be one of them next time. What we are doing almost certainly contributes to global warming but, even if it doesn't, it makes sense to reduce emissions that reduce the quality of the air we breathe and kill thousands every year. It makes sense to reduce waste and recycle what we can as most resources are finite. It makes sense not to pollute the sea or the land reducing our possible food sources. It makes sense to keep water sources as clean as possible. Using renewable sources of energy and cutting back on polluting forms of energy is being careful with our valuable resources. If we all do our bit we can be prosperous and healthy and help others to be the same. Renewables are obviously the way forward and working to improve their efficiency will eventually pay dividends and contribute to our economic prosperity.

So you've had personal experience of someone screaming and spitting "DENIER!" at you?

Just metaphorically. If it was physically I would make sure climate change was the least of their worries. I'm not a denier by the way, and don't know anyone that is, I just question the causes. There were grapes grown in Northumberland in Roman times, who's to blame for global cooling? Or warming? Ah fuck it, let's call it climate change, catch all statements win the day.

If I had to guess I'd have you down as a climate change skeptic but only by association and not by anything you've directly said on the issue.

Are you, and if so do you deny that climate change is man-made or at least primarily driven through human action?

It's absolutely anthropogenic IMO.

How can anyone deny climate change, it's been a fact of life for millennia? Who was to blame for the ice age, or the mini ice age in the 16th century? Far greater changes than what is taking place at the moment, but there is no way you could blame man for those occurrences. Al Gore is doing very nicely out of the climate change business, I wonder why he pushed it so much?

Climate change has happened before and lot of species died out when it did. It's entirely possible we will be one of them next time. What we are doing almost certainly contributes to global warming but, even if it doesn't, it makes sense to reduce emissions that reduce the quality of the air we breathe and kill thousands every year. It makes sense to reduce waste and recycle what we can as most resources are finite. It makes sense not to pollute the sea or the land reducing our possible food sources. It makes sense to keep water sources as clean as possible. Using renewable sources of energy and cutting back on polluting forms of energy is being careful with our valuable resources. If we all do our bit we can be prosperous and healthy and help others to be the same. Renewables are obviously the way forward and working to improve their efficiency will eventually pay dividends and contribute to our economic prosperity.

What about nuclear energy, far more efficient than renewable, doesn't use mother earth's resources and if looked after and monitored correctly is surely the perfect solution?

Last edited:
Just metaphorically. If it was physically I would make sure climate change was the least of their worries. I'm not a denier by the way, and don't know anyone that is, I just question the causes. There were grapes grown in Northumberland in Roman times, who's to blame for global cooling? Or warming? Ah fuck it, let's call it climate change, catch all statements win the day.

How can anyone deny climate change, it's been a fact of life for millennia? Who was to blame for the ice age, or the mini ice age in the 16th century? Far greater changes than what is taking place at the moment, but there is no way you could blame man for those occurrences. Al Gore is doing very nicely out of the climate change business, I wonder why he pushed it so much?

What about nuclear energy, far more efficient than renewable, doesn't use mother earth's resources and if looked after and monitored correctly is surely the perfect solution?

If we could come up with a good way of dealing with the waste products and make the plants safe then yes, nuclear power would be great. Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and other incidents cause public concern as, when things go wrong, they are potentially catastrophic. It does use resources but not in the way coal, gas and oil fired plants do. The JET project to develop a fusion Reactor would be great if it ever worked commercially.

Back