'Classic Albums' that really aren't that good

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the sort of thing you'll like if you like that sort of thing - his first 4 solo albums are acoustic/folky sort of stuff, and by any objective standard are f***ing excellent. You're playing the man not the ball. And the stuff he did with The Faces is the f***ing bollocks anarl.
I like some of his songs, I've heard loads of his stuff over the years as my mate's Dad f***ing loved him and would hoy the records on just before the whisky ran out on a weekend. He's on the list with Leonard Cohen, Barry White and Bruce Springsteen, not for me.

That's fair enough, like I said earlier, the trouble with music threads on here is that people get argumentative about stuff that's all about personal taste. I love Pet Sounds, and never tire of listening to it, but I suppose I can understand why some might not like it. It's also not just about the sound of the music is it - if you know the back story to the album, and Brian's psychological/drug issues, and the pressure he was under to just carry on producing hits - it adds to it I think - music has context.
I like it, I like them, I like him but I think Pet Sounds has a canny bit of filler.
I saw an interview with Bono talking about The Joshua Tree. He said he'd been with Keith Richards who was playing some Stones songs on a acoustic, and he handed the guitar to Bono and said 'play some of your songs'. Bono couldn't, because none of their 'songs' could be sung that way - so he toddled off and wrote some 'songs' and the result was The Joshua Tree. It's not as good as Achtung Baby though, although I'm biased because Achtung Baby was the only album I played during my acid days :p
I saw U2 at Leeds shortly after that and they were class. The drop off in quality they suffered within 2 or 3 years was astounding.
Keef reckons he's still alive cos he only ever used pharmaceutical grade cocaine. The only album I like all the way through is Sticky Fingers.
Last year I attempted to show our lass why the Beatles are always classed as one of, if not the most important band in modern music. She had always dismissed them, mainly because she says she was bombarded by media and peer pressure, trying to force her into liking them. I played her the rock & roll stuff, she liked it. She loved the bluesy songs as well, once I'd explained about their working class roots and how they'd paid their dues in Germany.
We then put the Stones on, I told her about their bad boy image being deliberately constructed as the bad boy opposite of the Beatles when, if anything, they hadn't faced the hurdles that the Beatles had. Plus that their first hit was written by Lennon and McCartney as a favour. Anyway, by the time we'd finished I had to admit that The Stones had made many more songs that I properly loved than The Beatles. I love them both though, we are lucky to have had them.

Last edited:
The Who laughable as well; each thing is the chords A G D bashed out to high heaven with Oscar braying bloody murder out of ninety dustbin lids to a wonky crescendo no one asked for.

Townsend's leads as fully developed as Alex Brooker's mitts.
The worst Beatles album.

Only decent track is 'Day in the Life'.
'She's Leaving Home'/'Fixing A Hole', me lad, off the stagnant Sgt. Pepper's.

The Who laughable as well; each thing is the chords A G D bashed out to high heaven with Oscar braying bloody murder out of ninety dustbin lids to a wonky crescendo no one asked for.

🤣🤣
You've never liked poor Mooney have you?

Good call and description of The Who. Must admit 'Fixing a Hole' was the only other track that I considered.

I don't understand this type of thread to be honest. Everyone's musical taste's are different and that's great. Why would you go on and be passionate about how shit or under rated you think a certain album is?

Good call and description of The Who. Must admit 'Fixing a Hole' was the only other track that I considered.
The Whee have got 4 good songs. Won’t get fooled again, Baba o’Riley, and two others I can’t be arsed to remember at the moment. There’s a video on YouTube of a live version of Wont get fooled where the camera is on Entwistle, and the bass is isolated. It’s f***ing awesome.
I don't understand this type of thread to be honest. Everyone's musical taste's are different and that's great. Why would you go on and be passionate about how shit or under rated you think a certain album is?
It’s summat to talk about, I’ve got nowt else on this evening.

Last edited:
Hup and Construction For The Modern Idiot are both classics.

The 8-Legged Groove Machine was iconic as well, but probably falls slightly short of "classic" for me.
Hup is one of my favorite albums, probably top 5, but I wouldn't think, much as I love it, and my username checks out, that I (or them for that matter) would think it fell into the category of classic albums. I feel like that's a category that's been decided by critics or era, a bit like classic rock, and a lot of them aren't my cuppa, which is fine. I probably like very few classic albums

Hup is one of my favorite albums, probably top 5, but I wouldn't think, much as I love it, and my username checks out, that I (or them for that matter) would think it fell into the category of classic albums. I feel like that's a category that's been decided by critics or era, a bit like classic rock, and a lot of them aren't my cuppa, which is fine. I probably like very few classic albums

Critics can suck my ass. ;)

As for era, Hup was a flagship album of the late-80's/early-90's era of British indie IMO.

Almost hate saying this cos he's the best of all time, but What's Going On by Marvin Gaye is not all that

f***ing hell. Its the greatest album ever committed to tape. I thought you were a canny lad anarl.
Jesus I should have stopped at that post.
I can only conclude that there are some significant tone deaf people post on this board.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back