'Classic Albums' that really aren't that good

Dire Straits and AC/DC? Haway lads, it's like punk never happened.
Surely AC/DC are more 'punk' than say Sham 69?
That's if you're counting punk as a positive thing...
That is such a brilliant song. If you like that, listen to this by Blue Oyster Cult for a beautiful melody and some supremely tasteful guitar playing from Buck Dharma and you can see where Mark Knopfler maybe was influenced on Brothers in Arms:

Blue Öyster Cult - Then Came the Last Days of May (Live) - YouTube
Strangely enough I've found the latest BOC album to be the most 'listener-friendly' one that I've heard by them. I'm no expert mind I only own Agents of Fortune

Last edited:
Cale's is wayyyyyy better.
Popa Chubby’s is even better
My cousin is one of the most musically knowledgeable people I've ever met, I'd generrally trust his judgement with my life. However, his favourite album of all time is Pet Sounds, by a f***ing country mile as well. I like the album but I don't get it like he does.

😆
That's a helluva hand grenade to hoy in. If you weren't a mod I'd assume you were a black belt in trolling.
Give ower man it’s shite

Last edited:
Doesn’t mean it’s not breathtakingly beautiful though.

Its definitely not that, songs you can describe as breath takingly beautiful would be How to disappear, Dreaming, Reckoner etc (most of Kid A, In Rainbows, and the latter half of TKoL are).

It's obviously a very good record though, which I think is more the point you were making.

I like it, I like them, I like him but I think Pet Sounds has a canny bit of filler.

I saw U2 at Leeds shortly after that and they were class. The drop off in quality they suffered within 2 or 3 years was astounding.

Last year I attempted to show our lass why the Beatles are always classed as one of, if not the most important band in modern music. She had always dismissed them, mainly because she says she was bombarded by media and peer pressure, trying to force her into liking them. I played her the rock & roll stuff, she liked it. She loved the bluesy songs as well, once I'd explained about their working class roots and how they'd paid their dues in Germany.
We then put the Stones on, I told her about their bad boy image being deliberately constructed as the bad boy opposite of the Beatles when, if anything, they hadn't faced the hurdles that the Beatles had. Plus that their first hit was written by Lennon and McCartney as a favour. Anyway, by the time we'd finished I had to admit that The Stones had made many more songs that I properly loved than The Beatles. I love them both though, we are lucky to have had them.
I’m a huge Beatles fan. I was doing some marketing work for a record store in Houston a few years back and one month they were struggling to pay me. Instead I agreed to take a copy of every Stones album. It included Sticky Fingers with the zipper. I own pretty much all of their back catalogue now, but my favorites are a couple of outliers, LIve at the BBC a great Blues album, and Blue and Lonesome

Back