Civil Service Behaviours

Its all a load of bollocks, it should go on your reports, otherwise what is the point of having one?

Been saying that for years you could someone who has had a brilliant report/appraisal for years and be competing against someone who has had a shit one for years, yet you have no advantage against them at all.

The one with shit reports could get someone to fill in a competency for them and get through a promotion exercise ahead on the one with excellent report for years.

Basically the system disregards years of evidence and goes of a form that could be completed in hours, farcical system.

This new success profiles supposed to change that but not much!

The interview process is daft, it’s basically how much you can bullshit for 45 minutes.

clear your inbox mate

At least the interview gets you to see the real person and get the real person to answer the questions.

Where as with behaviours/competencies and these tests who knows who has filled them in
Not sure mate, waiting for an interview for that myself.

What grade that for mate?

I'm bloody useless at these competency things, mind. I submit applications that I think will blow the sifter away and I score a 3. I suspect sometimes there is already a "preferred" candidate.

Thing is with a "blind" sift half the time if you're applying in the same area you're in, the sifters can work out who it is. I mean if I write one based on a training programme I did 2 years ago and a TP I got last year most will know it's me. It's at the point now where I don't bother applying for the jobs requiring them, luckily since they changed the system (i.e the name of it) more just want a CV style application. The highest I ever got was a 4 back in 2012 and it was enough to get me an interview with the MoD for the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight but I ended up in hospital the week of the interview so wasn't able to go.

Mind the verbal reasoning test is still the worst thing devised by man.
Do you know when DWP recruitment will be unpaused?

Can't speak for the DWP but HMRC, Homes England and DEFRA are putting more and more vacancies up. I'm on an EO reserve list for MMO and time's ticking for it.

Last edited:
The interview process is daft, it’s basically how much you can bullshit for 45 minutes.

clear your inbox mate
Cleared mate, thanks
Where abouts do you work
I work in HMRC at Peterlee. Not on the call centre side though, I work in the Surge and Rapid Response Team so I get moved onto different workloads / GOV departments every few months.

Last edited:
Cleared mate, thanks

I work in HMRC at Peterlee. Not on the call centre side though, I work in the Surge and Rapid Response Team so I get moved onto different workloads / GOV departments every few months.
Clear your inbox mate
60 days annual leave a year when you add up the sick days....flexi working, stonking pension and other t&c....

A shirkers paradise....
:rolleyes:

60 days annual leave a year when you add up the sick days....flexi working, stonking pension and other t&c....

A shirkers paradise....

Its 25 days annual leave then 30 after 10 years.

Flexi is good but you only get extra days by working more than your contracted hours.

The pensions were cut massively and a whole new system introduced 5 years ago which is lot lot less generous.

And as discussed earlier in the thread sickness monitoring a lot tougher nowadays and me personally my last sick day I had was August 2003!

And as for shirkers everybody in the last 3 months has been working extremely hard after seeing work coming in up to 8/9 times more than the norm, with roughly 40% less staff due to them been at home with underlying health conditions.

Soo while we have been lucky to have a secure job at this terrible time shirking is soo far off the mark!

In short your post is at least 15 years out of date!

Last edited:

Flexi is good but you only get extra days by working more than your contracted hours.

The pensions were cut massively and a whole new system introduced 5 years ago which is lot lot less generous.

And as discussed earlier in the thread sickness monitoring a lot tougher nowadays and me personally my last sick day I had was August 2003!

And as for shirkers everybody in the last 3 months has been working extremely hard after seeing work coming in up to 8/9 times more than the norm, with roughly 40% less staff due to them been at home with underlying health conditions.

Soo while we have been lucky to have a secure job at this terrible time shirking is soo far off the mark!

Very good post mate.

Clear your inbox mate

:rolleyes:

Cleared mate
If you can be arsed with the travel go to Longbenton plenty of promotion there

Nah I'd never work there tbh. The wages for EO role wouldn't be worth the time / cost of travelling, especially as I'm moving to Peterlee next week. Tbh I love my job and the office / people I work with, just know that long term it isn't going to be enough for me. I'm coming up the last few years of my 20s now and want to be in a managers role within the next 6-12 months.

Applying for the Fast Stream every year too but I always fall short at the video interview!

Spot on marra.

Last edited:
Its all a load of bollocks, it should go on your reports, otherwise what is the point of having one?

I've been saying this for a couple of years now. Each year, we all compile a report (self-assessment) which our manager comments on, and it is filed away. Come recruitment time, anyone can blag/embellish an internal application, then bullshit at the interview, and there is zero reference made to their annual appraisal which should (if true) have clear reference to anything they have done, unless they are external candidates. Similarly, if someone chokes at interview, if the panel have a copy of their report, they could coax the information from the candidate.

In my previous life outside the CS, annual reports were the only thing referred to by promotion boards. Looking back, it seems a hell of a lot fairer now, as you would only be promoted on clear documented evidence contained in numerous years' reports.
with roughly 40% less staff due to them been at home with underlying health conditions.

Same at my place - yet sickness absence isn't a huge issue in normal times. Its opened my eyes as to how many people manage their conditions very well.

Last edited:
I've been saying this for a couple of years now. Each year, we all compile a report (self-assessment) which our manager comments on, and it is filed away. Come recruitment time, anyone can blag/embellish an internal application, then bullshit at the interview, and there is zero reference made to their annual appraisal which should (if true) have clear reference to anything they have done, unless they are external candidates. Similarly, if someone chokes at interview, if the panel have a copy of their report, they could coax the information from the candidate.

In my previous life outside the CS, annual reports were the only thing referred to by promotion boards. Looking back, it seems a hell of a lot fairer now, as you would only be promoted on clear documented evidence contained in numerous years' reports.

Same at my place - yet sickness absence isn't a huge issue in normal times. Its opened my eyes as to how many people manage their conditions very well.

Yeah it makes no sense whatsoever to ignore years of evidence that is factual and true when going for promotion,against a form that may be done in hours and could be made up.

Yet amazingly that’s how it is done!

Back