Civil Service Behaviours

It definitely isn't in DWP.

They've really clamped down on attendance management, even if there is no dispute about the illnesses being genuine.

Loads also get sacked for stupidly inappropriately accessing the department's computer systems, even if no malice or gain was intended.

Yep I work for DWP and attendance management taken very seriously that can and has ended in dismissal for some

1. Frustrate the general public at every turn
2. Speak in a patronising tone wherever possible
3. Don't be be held accountable - for anything. Ever.
4. If in doubt, do nothing
5. Ensure you leave no later than 5pm and NEVER leave your work in a way that someone else could pick it up in your absence.

Hope that helps... ;)

Worked in the civil service 27 years and have had full attendance the last 18 with zero sickness so no idea what you talking about!
6 of us started together at 15/16 Yonks ago and at our first Years appraisal worked out what was acceptable by who did and didn't get a bollocking for attendance:lol:
Was Yonks ago like in RB block 8 which has been knocked down for a while now.
I left after a couple of Years but have worked as an external trainer for Pensions service, DWP, JC+ and CSA. I was attached to SNEBU for CSR and still have pals in the reorganised depts. so do know attendance management is more active now so no need to be so defensive:lol:;)

It definitely isn't in DWP.

They've really clamped down on attendance management, even if there is no dispute about the illnesses being genuine.

Loads also get sacked for stupidly inappropriately accessing the department's computer systems, even if no malice or gain was intended.
well what’s the issue if they have done it inappropriately and against the rules then what would you expect?

Yep I work for DWP and attendance management taken very seriously that can and has ended in dismissal for some

Still hard to dismiss people mind, only last year I managed an utter waste of space who was in her probation, over the 6 months had roughly 45 days absence, she played the game well and made up loads of health conditions making it virtually impossible for me to fail her probation. She eventually quit but it was far from certain we were going to be able to fail her probation.

6 of us started together at 15/16 Yonks ago and at our first Years appraisal worked out what was acceptable by who did and didn't get a bollocking for attendance:lol:
Was Yonks ago like in RB block 8 which has been knocked down for a while now.
I left after a couple of Years but have worked as an external trainer for Pensions service, DWP, JC+ and CSA. I was attached to SNEBU for CSR and still have pals in the reorganised depts. so do know attendance management is more active now so no need to be so defensive:lol:;)

Apologies mate never meant to come across defensive, just a soap box thing for me that people think they have sick allowance!
Still hard to dismiss people mind, only last year I managed an utter waste of space who was in her probation, over the 6 months had roughly 45 days absence, she played the game well and made up loads of health conditions making it virtually impossible for me to fail her probation. She eventually quit but it was far from certain we were going to be able to fail her probation.

Aye that definitely happens as well mate!

Last edited:

Back