Civil Service Behaviours

All this extra Flexi leave for nothing is a myth. You do have to be productive and clear cases or take calls if you work extra hours. You can't just twiddle your thumbs. Productivity gets monitored it's not like the 80s when you were at Child Benefit.
Not in my recent experience in IT

I work on the operations side where the grafters are so can't comment on IT workers.
Thing is I was "proper" civil service from leaving school at 17 (1977). Freeman Road, Durham House, then "getting my EO" by moving to London in 83. There was fuck all to do after you had cleared your post by 9.30 then you had to pretend to work. No phones or internet - you hid the crossword under a case file that you pretended to read for the rest of the day. Everyone had a f***ing great time socially. London was slightly different as you had the punters knocking on the door for their giros but it was still an absolute piss take considering miners were being fucked by Thatcher at the time - again the social side was great. Got back home in 86 by passing an aptitude test for "computer work". Even better as you were a grade higher with no staff plus an allowance for working in "computers" and loads of "overtime" plus your flexi . The biggest piss take was at Durham House on shifts (another allowance) - nights shifts were finished by 10pm so you could either go to the snooker room, fall asleep in the tower rest area or get pissed at the Oasis/Scirocco at weekends. It kind of ended when we were outsourced in 95 to EDS, except the full week off site training courses to give you actual professional qualifications were brilliant. After 9/11 EDS had no money and the place had the soul ripped out of it. I was on secondment in Lytham at the time and packed in without any kind of severance after 27 years years I was so pissed off. Went freelance and never looked back.
My experience of Longbenton as a contractor 2 years ago was so bloody awful I was tempted to retire.
I don't think it's actually changed from when I started in 1977, other than the fun has been taken out of it. Shame really... I'm blaming Mr Moretti for this rant. One day I will write a book cos we had some brilliant laughs.

Thing is I was "proper" civil service from leaving school at 17 (1977). Freeman Road, Durham House, then "getting my EO" by moving to London in 83. There was fuck all to do after you had cleared your post by 9.30 then you had to pretend to work. No phones or internet - you hid the crossword under a case file that you pretended to read for the rest of the day. Everyone had a f***ing great time socially. London was slightly different as you had the punters knocking on the door for their giros but it was still an absolute piss take considering miners were being fucked by Thatcher at the time - again the social side was great. Got back home in 86 by passing an aptitude test for "computer work". Even better as you were a grade higher with no staff plus an allowance for working in "computers" and loads of "overtime" plus your flexi . The biggest piss take was at Durham House on shifts (another allowance) - nights shifts were finished by 10pm so you could either go to the snooker room, fall asleep in the tower rest area or get pissed at the Oasis/Scirocco at weekends. It kind of ended when we were outsourced in 95 to EDS, except the full week off site training courses to give you actual professional qualifications were brilliant. After 9/11 EDS had no money and the place had the soul ripped out of it. I was on secondment in Lytham at the time and packed in without any kind of severance after 27 years years I was so pissed off. Went freelance and never looked back.
My experience of Longbenton as a contractor 2 years ago was so bloody awful I was tempted to retire.
I don't think it's actually changed from when I started in 1977, other than the fun has been taken out of it. Shame really... I'm blaming Mr Moretti for this rant. One day I will write a book cos we had some brilliant laughs.
Those were the days,pre privatisation on shifts at Durham house, think my records stand at work finished 45mins into night shift,slept the rest until 7am,woken up in time for day shift starting at 8.
Not bad considering getting paid 20% shift allowance plus adp allowance, also clocking 9 overtime shifts in a single month doing nowt.
The amount of extra marital shenanigans going on was prolific as was the boozing...then the wheels fell off.

Those were the days,pre privatisation on shifts at Durham house, think my records stand at work finished 45mins into night shift,slept the rest until 7am,woken up in time for day shift starting at 8.
Not bad considering getting paid 20% shift allowance plus adp allowance, also clocking 9 overtime shifts in a single month doing nowt.
The amount of extra marital shenanigans going on was prolific as was the boozing...then the wheels fell off.
Never saw anyone kipping in Output Handling on night shift when I worked there. Still running the Kerns until the early hours.

I worked at Durham House in 2003-2005, the stories of years gone by from those who worked at Hebburn were legendary. Some cracking ones.

I worked at Durham House in 2003-2005, the stories of years gone by from those who worked at Hebburn were legendary. Some cracking ones.
different era and people then mate.
Was a free for all most days...As long as the work went out of the door on time,the gaffers didnt give a shiny..

Back in the day, there were only three ways to get sacked; theft, leaking classified documents, or being caught bending your secretary over the desk.

Shit at your job always got you a promotion to get you out of the team and no fall back on the current hiring manager.
I thought that's how you got promoted.

If you’re shagging the secretary and not the hiring manager, you’re doing promotion wrong!!!

Last edited:
Does anyone on here work on civil service pre employment checks / for the GRS?

Waiting on a transfer from HMRC to Home Office as was successful in applying for a role, I sent forms off a month ago now and my status is still the same / haven't heard anything. Just wondering if they are behind of processing checks due to covid?

Also they are transferring my SC over so that I don't need to do any checks for CTC, is this likely to delay the process or speed it up?

Thanks

Got a few jobs to apply for, I'm not really doing well on the judgement tests. I asked someone for help and they said you're probably being too nice with your answers and next time imagine you are a ruthless leader. So will give this a go!

Does anyone on here work on civil service pre employment checks / for the GRS?

Waiting on a transfer from HMRC to Home Office as was successful in applying for a role, I sent forms off a month ago now and my status is still the same / haven't heard anything. Just wondering if they are behind of processing checks due to covid?

Also they are transferring my SC over so that I don't need to do any checks for CTC, is this likely to delay the process or speed it up?

Thanks

A team member is waiting for her checks/clearance for transfer from HMRC and HO....it's taking an age apparently.
Other transfers to other OGD are going through far quicker.

looked like a blloodhound
There was a Tony worked at Longbenton mid nineties. Proper plonky with a red nose and knocked about with the legend that was Neil Armstrong. When I say knocked about, I think he just used him for beer money. Two of them were lashed every afternoon.
The time they went to Malia and Neil came back with a black eye for taking "you just have to ask for a shag" literally. :lol:

Back