Civil Service Behaviours

well what’s the issue if they have done it inappropriately and against the rules then what would you expect?

I'd expect then to get sacked as they should know better.

You totally missed the point - I raised that issue in response to the suggestion that you need to do the equivalent of buggering the bishop to get sacked from the Civil Service.

6 of us started together at 15/16 Yonks ago and at our first Years appraisal worked out what was acceptable by who did and didn't get a bollocking for attendance:lol:
Was Yonks ago like in RB block 8 which has been knocked down for a while now.
I left after a couple of Years but have worked as an external trainer for Pensions service, DWP, JC+ and CSA. I was attached to SNEBU for CSR and still have pals in the reorganised depts. so do know attendance management is more active now so no need to be so defensive:lol:;)
First rule of Civil Service, drop a bag of Scrabble letters on the floor and the letters you see will be the ones you use to try and convince others you know what you're talking about. :lol:

I'm a civil servant, and like every walk of life,there are some very good staff and some downright awful ones. Similarly, there are some very good managers and some in whom I have zero confidence in.

I'm bloody useless at these competency things, mind. I submit applications that I think will blow the sifter away and I score a 3. I suspect sometimes there is already a "preferred" candidate.
Id say attendance management is now taken much more seriously in parts of the civil service than in many parts of the private sector.

Right up until the point when someone has to sack them, and the individual walks away with a final final final final written warning.

Last edited:
Clock in as early as allowed then immediately go for a "meeting" in the canteen.
Do not, ever, write or say anything which could possibly be misconstrued as a decision.

Back in the day, there were only three ways to get sacked; theft, leaking classified documents, or being caught bending your secretary over the desk.
Worked with a lad who got sacked for forging a cheque to buy a trophy for the 10 pin bowling sociey , marched back to the office by the police and sacked , his parents and sister all worked in the same office , his mother was the secretary to the chief exec

Back