City Bistro at the College

Status
Not open for further replies.

But I take it not when you turned up - would be a bit of a let down in my book that. Especially considering their standard menu, which isn't all that exciting.
Have you just missed my OP :lol: I said we had to have the normal menu! We were called the day before to say it had to be cancelled.
The normal menu was very good imo.

Absolutely spot on. Ate here last night. Had the 10 course tasting menu and sat at the chef’s table.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and chatting to the head chef Kelvin (has worked at Peace and Loaf, Slaley Hall, Pan Haggerty and The Prickley Pear amongst other places) who is obviously very passionate about the bistro and the college. Great crack and he gave us a full tour of the kitchens and also other parts of the college including the spa. The facilities really are fantastic and I’m led to believe some of the best in the country for educational purposes.

Highlights of the meal were the black pudding canapes, the stone bass and the lamb. Great value for money at £45 per head.

The restaurant itself was a little quiet for a Friday evening but is a lovely big bright space. For anybody who hasn’t been yet and is thinking of going, book now. I’d definitely recommend the chef’s table for anybody even vaguely interested in food. This place really is a credit to the city but needs our support.

Absolutely spot on. Ate here last night. Had the 10 course tasting menu and sat at the chef’s table.

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and chatting to the head chef Kelvin (has worked at Peace and Loaf, Slaley Hall, Pan Haggerty and The Prickley Pear amongst other places) who is obviously very passionate about the bistro and the college. Great crack and he gave us a full tour of the kitchens and also other parts of the college including the spa. The facilities really are fantastic and I’m led to believe some of the best in the country for educational purposes.

Highlights of the meal were the black pudding canapes, the stone bass and the lamb. Great value for money at £45 per head.

The restaurant itself was a little quiet for a Friday evening but is a lovely big bright space. For anybody who hasn’t been yet and is thinking of going, book now. I’d definitely recommend the chef’s table for anybody even vaguely interested in food. This place really is a credit to the city but needs our support.

Class , practically the same as my review from February:

wouldn't normally bother but this place deserves major recognition. the first genuine fine dining experience in sunderland, and much more.

had the 10 course tasting menu, which was varied, imaginative, and expertly delivered. had the 5-glass wine tasting to compliment it and at £55 all in, its superb value. i've paid 3 or 4 times this amount for similar standard food in big cities. won't bore anybody with the individual courses, but the 2 year cured mangalica ham was really special. never felt meat texture like it

in addition, the head chef is supported by A-level students in the kitchen, who are a joy to watch. its quite therapeutic being in the kitchen with them. it borders on art. the head chef spends a large portion of the night chatting about the restaurant, set up with the college, the food and the students, and also takes you for a detailed tour of the kitchens which he is clearly passionate about.

anyone who has half an interest in eating food that has been prepared to high standards and with love and imagination, on par with the toprestaurants, needs to have a look at this place. i'm so happy sunderland has somewhere like this.

somehow ranked #62 of restaurants in sunderland on TripAdvisor (!). its one of the best restaurants in the whole of the north east

Class , practically the same as my review from February:

wouldn't normally bother but this place deserves major recognition. the first genuine fine dining experience in sunderland, and much more.

had the 10 course tasting menu, which was varied, imaginative, and expertly delivered. had the 5-glass wine tasting to compliment it and at £55 all in, its superb value. i've paid 3 or 4 times this amount for similar standard food in big cities. won't bore anybody with the individual courses, but the 2 year cured mangalica ham was really special. never felt meat texture like it

in addition, the head chef is supported by A-level students in the kitchen, who are a joy to watch. its quite therapeutic being in the kitchen with them. it borders on art. the head chef spends a large portion of the night chatting about the restaurant, set up with the college, the food and the students, and also takes you for a detailed tour of the kitchens which he is clearly passionate about.

anyone who has half an interest in eating food that has been prepared to high standards and with love and imagination, on par with the toprestaurants, needs to have a look at this place. i'm so happy sunderland has somewhere like this.

somehow ranked #62 of restaurants in sunderland on TripAdvisor (!). its one of the best restaurants in the whole of the north east
He took us downstairs to see the training kitchens and we were blown away. The money that has been spent is unbelievable. Like I say, a credit to the city.

Hope it does well but like everything in the City Centre it will struggle to attract people to it after 6pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back