Chuks Aneke - MK Dons

Status
Not open for further replies.

So whats your point?

The day i support a team that aspires to be like Barnsley, then football is over for me!

Yes we've fallen massively recently, but i've no doubt in 2 or 3 years, we'll be some way ahead of Barnsley. I wonder if you come on the boards then? I bet you dont.

But they’re doing better than us like

What are we aspiring to be?

Being a self sufficient league one club

It’s shite

The last two seasons they've made less than a million pound profit on players. what on earth is so good about that. Yes we've been terrible in recruitment, but why on earth would we want to copy Barnsley.

Brentford are turning over millions year on year in profit and still have a far superior team than Barnsley.

We're shite in the market, yet with a decent manager we still would have finished ahead of them this season.

Leeds and Wednesday both have far better teams.

Nah Barnsley had a better team than us

You can deny it but it’s true

Last edited:
Our recruitment and transfer policy is barely one season old!

Things do actually take time to implement you know.
That's true but we don't know what the plan is going forward. We don't know what structure, philosophy or strategy the club have in mind or have put in place.

The best way to run a club, if you can, is buy cheap, sell for a profit and reinvest in better players who are still cheap compared to their quality/potential.

The only other models for a League 1 club are have a sugar daddy (or some other unusually high income source, that may be cut off); overspend (but suffer if the gamble doesn't come off) or develop young players (and lose them on free transfers if you dont sell them at a profit). The Barnsley model is the best of those. Not sure what model you think is better...
A model where you hold onto your better players and progress with a core squad and not become a selling club to teams in the same league as you.

I want more for Sunderland otherwise it's small time mentality

Less than a week?

Seriously though, have we kept hold of a single player another club has wanted to sign since new owners took over?

Reece James went to Doncaster as a first choice with an extra year on his contract, not because we couldn't hang onto him.

Bryan Oviedo in January. They got Hume, Gooch, Mumba all under contract, I'm sure there would've been interest in all 3.

But of course when the owners came in to our sinking ship they had to lower the financial outgoings and increase incomings.

Reece James went to Doncaster as a first choice with an extra year on his contract, not because we couldn't hang onto him.

Bryan Oviedo in January. They got Hume, Gooch, Mumba all under contract, I'm sure there would've been interest in all 3.

But of course when the owners came in to our sinking ship they had to lower the financial outgoings and increase incomings.

Oviedo wasn't one. He was away on deadline day until it fell through last min and nobody seems to know why.

Who wanted to sign Hume, Gooch and Mumba?

Oviedo wasn't one. He was away on deadline day until it fell through last min and nobody seems to know why.

Who wanted to sign Hume, Gooch and Mumba?

Well I know last season there was talk of Mumba going to Liverpool with some kid coming here on loan in return. There's clearly a market for players playing for England youths.

Point is, we've kept players that clearly our competitors would have taken. Who isn't at the club now who you think should be, and it's the owners' fault?

Well I know last season there was talk of Mumba going to Liverpool with some kid coming here on loan in return. There's clearly a market for players playing for England youths.

Point is, we've kept players that clearly our competitors would have taken. Who isn't at the club now who you think should be, and it's the owners' fault?

Donald said a couple of weeks ago every player who has had serious interest has left. It was an excuse for not getting promoted.

So the point is, we haven't kept a single player somebody else wants so I'd be happy to do what that West Ham fan was suggesting. I've not yet seen anything to suggest we will keep players who are wanted by other clubs.

They did like sorry

Our team was very ordinary

Our back 4 wasn’t good enough, we had no pace at all

Catts n mcgeady would get in their side, who else?

Still think we had the best team in the league on paper. Mix of Championship and upper League One level players. Just couldn't put it all together.

A model where you hold onto your better players and progress with a core squad and not become a selling club to teams in the same league as you.

I want more for Sunderland otherwise it's small time mentality
To do that, you need to increase your player's wages along with their ability, or they'll want to leave and run down their contract. To pay them more money, you either have to sell players to get the budgets or have another source of income, which could be lost at any time. There's rarely a magic, inexaustable source of money that never has to be paid back.

In addition, upper Championship teams are almost a different league financially to those at the bottom. Almost all lower Championship teams would sell a player to Leeds or Stoke.

Last edited:
To do that, you need to increase your player's wages along with their ability, or they'll want to leave and run down their contract. To pay them more money, you either have to sell players to get the budgets or have another source of income, which could be lost at any time. There's rarely a magic, inexaustable source of money that never has to be paid back.

In addition, upper Championship teams are almost a different league financially to those at the bottom. Almost all lower Championship teams would sell a player to Leeds or Stoke.

If we were in the same league as Stoke or Leeds then I would not want to follow a model that allowed us to sell our best players to them.

Agree it is different for a lot of league one teams trying to scrape by, but we are capable of matching their income, so I'd like to do things a bit differently to Barnsley

So whats your point?

The day i support a team that aspires to be like Barnsley, then football is over for me!

Yes we've fallen massively recently, but i've no doubt in 2 or 3 years, we'll be some way ahead of Barnsley. I wonder if you come on the boards then? I bet you dont.

Barnsley are a smaller club than us yet are in a higher league, with a better recruitment policy. Why wouldn't you want to use their policy as a model?

Barnsley are a smaller club than us yet are in a higher league, with a better recruitment policy. Why wouldn't you want to use their policy as a model?
QPR, Millwall are in a higher league than us, would you want to follow their policy?

Like I say Barnsley have only made 750k profit in the last two seasons, what the fuck is so special about that.

Brentford on the other hand are on a different level altogether, so yes, I'd like to follow theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back