Chicken in Indian Takeaways

Possibly pre cooked frozen chicken, it has a false texture if that makes sense. It’s cheaper as it’s bought over from places like Poland or even Brazil.
They just defrost it then drop it in the curry to heat, saves an awful lot of cross contamination issues and makes it much easier to get 5* from the EHO.
Really?
That's awful if the health and safety side of things takes away from the quality of the product :(

Will do cheers..was going to try that Aroma Spice on Durham Road as a few on here have spoken highly of it but it gets some dodgy reviews online like.
Akkis is good has all the traditional stuff and has plenty stuff other places doesn't have. As mentioned Goa and cinemon kitchen also good, I'm off for a belated birthday meal to Mumbai silk in the town next Friday iv only been the once so looking forward to it.

We’ve had chicken breasts when eating out that have been almost crunchy when biting through them. When I googled it at the time they mentioned that it was due to those chickens being bred to be as big as possible in a short space of time.
chicken with a crunchy texture is due to the way it has been cooked, and nothing to do with being bred in a particular way

Last edited:
Someone at work had a Tesco tikka masala... The ingredients stated the chicken was apparently from Indonesia or somewhere out that way... I couldn't believe it then saw the same with their sandwiches....how can chicken be cheaper when it's flown half way round the world.? .. We should be supporting British chicken... Goodness knows the conditions over there... I always check now

How do you check ? Most people are happy to but those huge trays of massive chicken breasts that aren’t British and a takeaway will just pay lip service

How do you check ? Most people are happy to but those huge trays of massive chicken breasts that aren’t British and a takeaway will just pay lip service

a lot of the 5kg chicken breast you get in Makro, food warehouse are from Poland. I guess the only way you know their origin if it’s in the packaging, A takeaway doesn’t need to state where it’s from
Just it’s tracking/purchasing/supplier source

Try Akkis
Had one the other night. Very very nice, not quite Saffron quality for my taste anyway, but will definitely order from there again.
Akkis is good has all the traditional stuff and has plenty stuff other places doesn't have. As mentioned Goa and cinemon kitchen also good, I'm off for a belated birthday meal to Mumbai silk in the town next Friday iv only been the once so looking forward to it.
Mumbai Silk is lovely.

If anything this thread shows just how many class Indians we have in Sunderland

Last edited:
Delhi emperor (formerly Indian style on the Barnes roundabout) is spot on. Owned by the same family who have Mumbai silk and Goa.

I stopped eating takeaway chineses for this reason. Used to be quite partial to sweet & sour chicken til I asked someone how come the chicken inside the batter was always cut into little cubes and they explained that it was probably mechanically recovered reformed stuff. It’s frustrating cos a lot of places do it, and if it was a case of just paying a quid or 2 more for proper breast I’d happily do it.

The takeaway market has too many players in it now. The vast majority up here are competing with each other on price = cheap as possible ingredients.

The takeaway market has too many players in it now. The vast majority up here are competing with each other on price = cheap as possible ingredients.
Can't fault Goa, cinemon kitchen and Goa all seem to be doing really well.
Delhi emperor (formerly Indian style on the Barnes roundabout) is spot on. Owned by the same family who have Mumbai silk and Goa.
Does deli emperer Mumbai silk and Goa do the same stuff, they must be loaded they have places in shields and Durham as well.

Last edited:
Can't fault Goa, cinemon kitchen and Goa all seem to be doing really well.

Does deli emperer Mumbai silk and Goa do the same stuff, they must be loaded they have places in shields and Durham as well.
Been a while since I’ve been in Mumbai silk but the Delhi emperor menu is very restaurant-esque and a step up from what it used to be .

Akkis is very good as well spiced potato dumplings with chickpeas really good
A lass in the hairdressers recommend Forhans in Hylton road to me - I’m guessing it’s canny as she’s from southwick so it’s a bit of a hike for a curry. I may be wrong but I’m sure that place was once the subject of a load of fawning from jolene and her band of sycophants on the north east foodies facebook page so not an indication of quality necessarily, just that they are prepared to pay a crook for reviews and advertising .

Back