Checked ya pension pot lately?

Not that it’s your fault, but DBs are economy killers and should all have been banned years ago with all schemes converted to money purchase schemes.

As the market crashes, the DB schemes assets no longer cover the expected liabilities of the scheme. This means the companies have to throw cash they could be investing to grow/recover their business into the DB scheme. This suppresses profits which hits the share price growth which makes the scheme assets not cover the expected liabilities and we go round the merry go round again.

Don’t get me wrong, offer me one and I’ll snatch your hand off, but they’re not right.
Most of our local government scheme is invested in commercial property iirc.
Luv pensions me!!

Free money
Free money in, tax to pay out.

Last edited:
I’m just waiting for my final figure on my DB pension..won’t be taking it out of the company while this virus malarkey is going on like.

You’ll actually find that due to falling gilt yields that the transfer value will go up. Won’t go into the whys and wherefores but that’s the case. Combine that with the opportunity to get into the market at a ridiculously low price and it’s something people should really be seeking advice on. This is the ideal time to get a cash equivalent transfer value on your final salary pension. Last month was good, in fact the last couple of years have been excellent in the main for transfer values but what you’ll see now in the coming months is unlikely to ever be seen again. Market hopefully close to the bottom and transfer values at record highs (beating the current record highs we’ve seen in the last couple of years or so).

Last edited by a moderator:
You’ll actually find that due to falling gilt yields that the transfer value will go up. Won’t go into the whys and wherefores but that’s the case. Combine that with the opportunity to get into the market at a ridiculously low price and it’s something people should really be seeking advice on. This is the ideal time to get a cash equivalent transfer value on your final salary pension. Last month was good, in fact the last couple of years have been excellent in the main for transfer values but what you’ll see now in the coming months is unlikely to ever be seen again. Market hopefully close to the bottom and transfer values at record highs (beating the current record highs we’ve seen in the last couple of years or so).
Aye was thinking this about mine. The amount they will have to shell out cash to match the expected index linked annuity will be mighty at this time I expect . What's the projection on gilts for the next 3 years any thoughts .

Thanks for that mate..I’m waiting for my valuation coming through.

I worked for NII/ONR, part of HSE. I have no idea what civil service grade it equated to. I also transferred in a previous pension from the TPA from when I taught in a University.
Dont think i will get 27k ,, hopefully get another promotion and a bit of a boost to my lump sum and pension

I'd have thought you'd have yanked yours out by now, not many hadn't by the sounds of things

There’s not many of us left mate..I’ve done the right thing leaving it in actually..the transfer value has gone up around 20% so lads who took it out a couple of years ago have missed out that way..on the other hand they’ve been getting an income on having it invested so it’s a bit swings and roundabouts..the financial advisors I’ve spoken to have said to leave it in Caterpillar if I’m not going to retire which I’m in a right dilemma about.

Thanks for that mate..I’m waiting for my valuation coming through.

Hopefully it gets calculated in the next couple of weeks mate. That’s prime time!!!
Aye was thinking this about mine. The amount they will have to shell out cash to match the expected index linked annuity will be mighty at this time I expect . What's the projection on gilts for the next 3 years any thoughts .

Wouldn’t like to guess over the next 3 years. I know yields have fallen sharply these last two weeks to record lows so thats great for cash equivalent transfer valuations for people with deferred final salary pensions. Low gilt yields increase the cost to pension schemes as they need larger funds to produce the same income for members so this will push transfer values up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back