Checked ya pension pot lately?

There’s not many of us left mate..I’ve done the right thing leaving it in actually..the transfer value has gone up around 20% so lads who took it out a couple of years ago have missed out that way..on the other hand they’ve been getting an income on having it invested so it’s a bit swings and roundabouts..the financial advisors I’ve spoken to have said to leave it in Caterpillar if I’m not going to retire which I’m in a right dilemma about.
Same here.

There’s not many of us left mate..I’ve done the right thing leaving it in actually..the transfer value has gone up around 20% so lads who took it out a couple of years ago have missed out that way..on the other hand they’ve been getting an income on having it invested so it’s a bit swings and roundabouts..the financial advisors I’ve spoken to have said to leave it in Caterpillar if I’m not going to retire which I’m in a right dilemma about.

Can you PM me about this bit mate. Just so I can understand what level of work they’ve done to come to this conclusion.

Hopefully it gets calculated in the next couple of weeks mate. That’s prime time!!!

Wouldn’t like to guess over the next 3 years. I know yields have fallen sharply these last two weeks to record lows so thats great for cash equivalent transfer valuations for people with deferred final salary pensions. Low gilt yields increase the cost to pension schemes as they need larger funds to produce the same income for members so this will push transfer values up.
Aye . I'm coming up 62 and just wondering and if calling it in early given the current situation might be capitalising ( I can probably do retire and return with nhs) . Got about 27 years in between 2-3 employers Might just get some values now and 65 for the hell of it.

Empty your inbox.

Done mate!
Aye . I'm coming up 62 and just wondering and if calling it in early given the current situation might be capitalising ( I can probably do retire and return with nhs) . Got about 27 years in between 2-3 employers Might just get some values now and 65 for the hell of it.

Defiantly ask for some and feel free to give me a PM if you need any assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here.
Don’t just be enticed by a transfer value , as the past couple weeks showed these pots can dip drastically when things go wrong . A final salary pension does give you security that nobody can touch , it’s not as clear cut as seeing a value to transfer and thinking yes I’ll have that . For some it will be the right thing to do but there will also be plenty advised to transfer out who should Not have and the only one benefitting will be the advisor (commission ) . Massive decision

Last edited:
Don’t just be enticed by a transfer value , as the past couple weeks showed these pots can dip drastically when things go wrong . A final salary pension does give you security that nobody can touch , it’s not as clear cut as seeing a value to transfer and thinking yes I’ll have that . For some it will be the right thing to do but there will also be plenty advised to transfer out who should Not have and the only one benefitting will be the advisor (commission ) . Massive decision

You make some valid points mate but let’s not use the recent crash as a way to scapegoat financial advisers. The level of scrutiny and compliance checking required to get to the point of recommendation to transfer this type of business is huge. Advisers simply do not do this for “commission”. It must clearly be demonstrated that it is in a clients best interests to transfer before a recommendation is made. We are the most heavily regulated industry around. Do you think the FCA just let us transfer for the crack? Or for commission? Advisers are on the hook for the advice they give. That’s why they need to insure against potential future complaints.

me mam gets 2 thirds of what me late dad got, i had a read of the bumf a few weeks ago with the amount of deaths every year it'll not be long before there's no one to pay out to
True enough. There wasn't a great deal of new starters in the eighties and beyond so those that started early 80's are mid fifties now. I would say another 30 year would see most of us gone.

Last edited:
You make some valid points mate but let’s not use the recent crash as a way to scapegoat financial advisers. The level of scrutiny and compliance checking required to get to the point of recommendation to transfer this type of business is huge. Advisers simply do not do this for “commission”. It must clearly be demonstrated that it is in a clients best interests to transfer before a recommendation is made. We are the most heavily regulated industry around. Do you think the FCA just let us transfer for the crack? Or for commission? Advisers are on the hook for the advice they give. That’s why they need to insure against potential future complaints.
like all trades there will be good and bad. Couple of IFAs post on here , including yourself and Taff etc who I would certainly trust and go for advice . I’m just saying to the original poster there’s often lot more to it than just the initial value , that royal London link is a canny starting point

Back