Checked ya pension pot lately?

Not that it’s your fault, but DBs are economy killers and should all have been banned years ago with all schemes converted to money purchase schemes.

As the market crashes, the DB schemes assets no longer cover the expected liabilities of the scheme. This means the companies have to throw cash they could be investing to grow/recover their business into the DB scheme. This suppresses profits which hits the share price growth which makes the scheme assets not cover the expected liabilities and we go round the merry go round again.

Don’t get me wrong, offer me one and I’ll snatch your hand off, but they’re not right.
Except when the actuaries update for the higher retirees mortality rate and the liability falls as well...

My retire in 18 months plan may have just gone down the shutter. I'd probably be better wiping my arse on the pension and saving bog roll
Your funds will have moved to safer places in the last few years before retirement so it won't make much odds. 18 months is a long time anyway, so the markets will be back to where they were in January by then.

Back