Checked ya pension pot lately?

Yes I did for the first time in many years a week ago. Surprised to find I've got lots of small ones with a few K in each, maybe 5 of them. Going to wait for a bit a start a new personal plan - advice welcome for a good one? Got the RAF and state pensions as well. 49 now and aiming to retire late 50's.

There are large funds out there that continually beat the market - and by some margin.

One of the funds I was monitoring hasn't lost anything compared to its early March price

Basically, it goes low and then recovers at some point.

So, I've topped up my investments over the last few weeks based on past experience of crashes and some of the advice on here.

The cash I had as a reserve was about to drop to an all time low interest rate and had already been losing value in real terms.

Time will tell if I've done the right thing or not
Generally topping up when market is on its arse is alwsys a good thing. Over time it always recovers. The problem is if you need the funds now.

There are large funds out there that continually beat the market - and by some margin.

One of the funds I was monitoring hasn't lost anything compared to its early March price

Basically, it goes low and then recovers at some point.

So, I've topped up my investments over the last few weeks based on past experience of crashes and some of the advice on here.

The cash I had as a reserve was about to drop to an all time low interest rate and had already been losing value in real terms.

Time will tell if I've done the right thing or not
Didn’t mean that mate. I was referring to when somebody mentioned large fund choices. Unless you have a shit load of time on your hands, who has the resources, knowledge, experience and time to research every fund manager, their past performance (not just the fund’s) future views and plans etc etc.

Too much choice is a hindrance.

Didn’t mean that mate. I was referring to when somebody mentioned large fund choices. Unless you have a shit load of time on your hands, who has the resources, knowledge, experience and time to research every fund manager, their past performance (not just the fund’s) future views and plans etc etc.

Kroijer said it is important to use a global tracker rather than your home index in this hypothetical portfolio as it offers instant diversification – for example, he said that while the figures for compound returns in the US over the past 100 years are spectacular, for the Russian market “they are less so”.

Last edited:
Which fund did you go for?

Fidelity Global Technology.

Don't know how long the growth can go on like this but we'll see.
Generally topping up when market is on its arse is alwsys a good thing. Over time it always recovers. The problem is if you need the funds now.

I had some rainy day money which was earning pitiful interest and was about to be cut again.

Agreed.

Google helps so it's much easier than it used to be.

I've bought right turkey's over the years in the packaged fund supermarket scramble

Last edited:
The other problem is knowing when it’s truly on its arse.

Next couple of days of consecutive falls and I’m going to go in again though.
Just get in mate. By trying to time it, you’re chance to miss the best days rises, which will end up costing more in the long term. There will be those who’ll guess right every now & then & a bit like when you’re a a comes in on a weekend you get excited & tell everyone. The truth is it’s impossible to call it right on a consistent basis & you’ll end up costing yourself.

Yes I did for the first time in many years a week ago. Surprised to find I've got lots of small ones with a few K in each, maybe 5 of them. Going to wait for a bit a start a new personal plan - advice welcome for a good one? Got the RAF and state pensions as well. 49 now and aiming to retire late 50's.
Men plan, God laughs.

Back