Checked ya pension pot lately?

* bear markets (re above post)
At times like this we need to not let panic or fear dictate how we feel about our investments and pensions. You only lose if you sell.

There’ll obviously be people who may have needed immediate tax free cash for whatever reason who’ll be suffering now and some other exceptions but try not to let this “ruin your retirement”. Have faith in history.

I’m putting together a presentation for some of my clients next week about this where I’ll be covering some of the stuff discussed in here and I’d be happy to share it with anyone that wants it.
At the time you posted this I think my fund was down 30%.
Ita gone up 20% since then (so down 10% overall).
I know a couple of posters took theirs out at the lowest point.
I hope the markets continue to recover, but I'm unsure, another lockdown in the USA may produce another drop. Saying that, I'm still gonna keep mine in

I hope the markets continue to recover, but I'm unsure, another lockdown in the USA may produce another drop. Saying that, I'm still gonna keep mine in

Well done for holding your nerve mate. Central banks globally are doing everything in their power to ensure that a functioning financial system remains in place.

I baffled as to why you would withdraw it when the value has dropped 30% - did some posters really do this?!

I’m assuming you mean say a £100k pot went down to £70k, but is now at £90k?

If you lose 30% of the pot, the remainder has to go up 43%-44% from the bottom price to get back to your original position. Just in case you were using % returns from the bottom point.

Markets always bounce and the overall trend of the major indexes is always up.

Assuming you invested in mainstream steady investments

I’m assuming you mean say a £100k pot went down to £70k, but is now at £90k?

If you lose 30% of the pot, the remainder has to go up 43%-44% from the bottom price to get back to your original position. Just in case you were using % returns from the bottom point.
Yes, that's right.
It's down 10% from its February total.
So as you said, down 30%, then back up about 30%.
I said it wrong in my first post!

I baffled as to why you would withdraw it when the value has dropped 30% - did some posters really do this?!

Fear based selling was as much to blame for the market falls as Covid itself - certainly the speed and ferocity of the falls anyway. Throw the Russian Saudi oil price war into the mixer and it just became a bloodbath of epic proportions and markets were massively oversold. Thankfully they seem to be recovering just as quick which has surprised many including some of the best fund managers around.

If your fund went down 30% then a 20 % increase , your fund is still 16 % down .

Recovered pretty well considering, mine is around 8% lower than highest point before Covid, (bc ?). Was down around 35% I think at one point.

Back