Checked ya pension pot lately?

How’s not being part of the rat race & your new found freedom treating you?! Hope you didn’t have a bucket list you wanted to start straight away?!
The skiing hol got cancelled a week before we were due to go. The planned climbing trip to Croatia is up the creek. Holiday in Switzerland & Apuan Alps in Tuscany has just been written off. Climbing in Austria later in the year looking doubtful. Basically I needn't have f***ing bothered, but otherwise pretty damned good actually.

Genuinely don’t worry unless you were planning to buy an annuity with your fund.

All we can look at is history which tells us that when markets fall they always rise again. Your pot is not lost forever. If you want send me a PM and I can send you some reassuring literature on historic lengths of bull and bead markets. That could put your mind at rest. It’s important not to be fearful in times like this. Easier said that done but hold your nerve.

Definitely not mate. In fact drawdown is a better option now following the fall. You’d be buying an annuity with a significantly lower fund value. Using drawdown gives the pension fund the opportunity to rise again - which if will.

This is just another stock market crash - albeit a pretty serious one and one which will talked about for years. But markets WILL recover. They always have and they always will.
If I had say, a few grand lying around at the minute, do you think it would be better if put into my shrunken pot, (assuming we’re somewhere near the bottom of the curve), or investing in shares, which I also know next to nothing about? Also if you have info on markets bouncing back historically I’d be interested to read.

If I had say, a few grand lying around at the minute, do you think it would be better if put into my shrunken pot, (assuming we’re somewhere near the bottom of the curve), or investing in shares, which I also know next to nothing about? Also if you have info on markets bouncing back historically I’d be interested to read.

Give me a PM

Hopefully me and the wife get through this and it will make us retire even sooner. Was planning on 11 years but fingers crossed we’ll pack in in 8.

That said we might not have jobs.

Just done some sums on me portfolio.
13th February it was at its all time peak. Between then and 1st of March it fell 10% and then between 1st March and today a further 7%.
So thats me showing down 17% during this mess :(
How does that sound Shirley?

13th February it was at its all time peak. Between then and 1st of March it fell 10% and then between 1st March and today a further 7%.

I have some ever so slightly good news for you. Presuming you calculated your percentages as described above, then overall you’re probably down closer to 16% then 17%.

Not saying the above as a mickey take rather to make people aware of %’s.

Example:

You have £200, you lose 10% (£20), you now have £180. You then lose another 7%, of £180 not the original £200 amount, (£12.60). So altogether you have lost £32.60 (£20+12.60). £200-32.60 = £167.40.

Percentage Change = (Difference in new and old value / original (old) value) multiplied by 100.

(32.60/200)*100 = 16.3%

I`m nee SS but my view on my fund is not to compare it now to its peak. The markets have performed very well indeed in the 18 months or so before this mess so a fairer comparison might be when FTSE was "steady" around 6500. Think my pot increased about 12% over that period so the drop is not so dramatic compared to before that.
I aint panicking and I just retired in December.
I had a nice trip to NZ as part of Celebration which went well not so much so my 20 day cruise where I had to spend 16 days onboard and took 2 days to get home from last Tuesday!

It’s about average I’d say for a portfolio with about 60% equities. FTSE 100 was down about 35% at its worst. So if you are down just 17% you are seeing the benefits of diversification I’d think.

Last edited by a moderator:
17% loss is quite good..... mad to think

Yeah but it’s better than losing double that which you would have at one point if you had it all in the FTSE. Plus it’s not a banked loss. It’s a paper loss. You’ve only lost 17% if you cash in when you are 17% down. Fear based selling is something you should 100% avoid.

Some investment quotes from days gone by that still reasonate:

“Buy when there’s blood on the street even if the blood is you own”

And

“Be greedy when others are fearful”

Yeah but it’s better than losing double that which you would have at one point if you had it all in the FTSE. Plus it’s not a banked loss. It’s a paper loss. You’ve only lost 17% if you cash in when you are 17% down. Fear based selling is something you should 100% avoid.

And

Cheers, was pondering selling mine but decided to leave it for the time being. Not that its a huge amount.

I have some ever so slightly good news for you. Presuming you calculated your percentages as described above, then overall you’re probably down closer to 16% then 17%.

Not saying the above as a mickey take rather to make people aware of %’s.

Example:

You have £200, you lose 10% (£20), you now have £180. You then lose another 7%, of £180 not the original £200 amount, (£12.60). So altogether you have lost £32.60 (£20+12.60). £200-32.60 = £167.40.

Percentage Change = (Difference in new and old value / original (old) value) multiplied by 100.

(32.60/200)*100 = 16.3%
Yeh thats how i calculated mine, (difference/original figure x 100)
It’s about average I’d say for a portfolio with about 60% equities. FTSE 100 was down about 35% at its worst. So if you are down just 17% you are seeing the benefits of diversification I’d think.
I think i,m a lot higher than 60% equities probably more like 80%. Cheers

And

Scraped together a few grand a couple of weeks ago and stuck it in me ISA, i guess thats me being greedy ;)

Last edited:
Yeh thats how i calculated mine, (difference/original figure x 100)

I think i,m a lot higher than 60% equities probably more like 80%. Cheers

Scraped together a few grand a couple of weeks ago and stuck it in me ISA, i guess thats me being greedy ;)

If it’s 80% equity then that loss is not too bad at all, all things considered. If you PM me which funds you invest in I’ll take a look for you to check their crown ratings etc.

Banks have cancelled paying out dividends till the end of 2020. This contributed to a 4% plunge of the FTSE 100 this morning.

There was also mutterings about bonuses being held back.

Banks have cancelled paying out dividends till the end of 2020. This contributed to a 4% plunge of the FTSE 100 this morning.

There was also mutterings about bonuses being held back.
So bonuses should be cancelled

I’m after a pension for the wife , nothing too fancy as will never have a load in it , have missed deadline for 4th April cut off point so ideally want something up and running in 3-4 weeks time so can start paying in

Back