Checkatrade attendances

Funny that - both Carlisle and Morecambe brought decent numbers to the SOL. So it seems that in our group the boycott hasnt been followed. Wonder if the boycotters have had a go at Morecambe and Carlisle.

I think they would have had a fair point if we had been one of the U21 clubs and took 1500 away to see them at Morecambe or if we’d taken that many away to an U21 side. But they all seem to be overlooking the fact that 1500 went away to see a L1 and L2 side play. Isn’t that what they want the cup to be all about.

100% this.

Having u21s in the competition is a shite idea mind and the sooner they revert it to L1 & L2 clubs the better.

Sunderland getting dogs abuse online for taking 1600 to Morecambe and "breaking the boycott" of the Checkatrade.

Football Away Days on Twitter
Dan Wright on Twitter
Jay Shaw on Twitter

There's clearly a strong feeling from lower league clubs fans against this competition (though Portsmouth had a crowd of 3,000 which no-one seems to be mentioning). When you press the angry folk on it, there seems to be a sense that U21 teams in the tournament are an insult (which seems fair), and that this is the thin end of the wedge, and before long they'll be in the league pyramid (which seems like bollocks).

I know we generally couldn't give a fuck that other fans don't like us, but in this case, is this us just not "getting it"?
I cant understand what they are twisten about we only took 7 to Grimsby last season.

It was certainly a few hundred (there were Mags in there as well) and I remember being quite impressed given the tournament and it being a weekday. Given that they don't get many at home they certainly didn't boycott it. Stoke brought about 5 fans,
Are you talking about this season? If you are then have you noticed we played at their place not the SOL.

I think they would have had a fair point if we had been one of the U21 clubs and took 1500 away to see them at Morecambe or if we’d taken that many away to an U21 side. But they all seem to be overlooking the fact that 1500 went away to see a L1 and L2 side play. Isn’t that what they want the cup to be all about?

Absolutely this. Criticism of it and us is beyond ridiculous given we fit the absolute criteria they want entering the competition.

It was certainly a few hundred (there were Mags in there as well) and I remember being quite impressed given the tournament and it being a weekday. Given that they don't get many at home they certainly didn't boycott it. Stoke brought about 5 fans,
Think you’ve dreamt that, last night was first time we’ve played them in the Checkatrade trophy this or any other season

Think you’ve dreamt that, last night was first time we’ve played them in the Checkatrade trophy this or any other season
Yes, I did realise - I was thinking of when we played them in the FA cup - that said, Carlisle brought plenty and Morecambe probably had almost as many of their fans at the match as they do for most league games - my point is that these club's fans are not boycotting this tournament just as Sunderland's fans aren't.

We haven't played Morecambe at home in the Checkatrade trophy

Yes, I did realise - I was thinking of when we played them in the FA cup - that said, Carlisle brought plenty and Morecambe probably had almost as many of their fans at the match as they do for most league games - my point is that these club's fans are not boycotting this tournament just as Sunderland's fans aren't.

Or the FA Cup.

We played them in the league Cup and they brought hardly any. Was less than 200

We haven't played Morecambe at home in the Checkatrade trophy

Or the FA Cup.

We played them in the league Cup and they brought hardly any. Was less than 200
Considering they only get about 2000 at home they brought quite a few to that cup match - it was more than 200.

Back