Checkatrade attendances

Is it just me who’s hearing about this boycott for the first time tonight?
The first I heard of any boycott? Surely fans should be boycotting the games against U21 teams? What's the point of boycotting a game with Morecombe? We had 1,600 there last night and I think Morecombe only get about 2,000 at home, so we've just boosted their coffers.

Not having a pop. It’s a Mickey Mouse Cup. Have some self respect man.
We are Sunderland AFC and we should be looking to win every competition we enter. Who do we think we are turning our noses up at the EFL Trophy?!

Last edited:

Sunderland supporters have came in for a bit of stick from fans of other clubs for turning up in large numbers to get behind the team - and whilst their concerns are valid, they quite simply don’t understand how much any form of success would mean to us. I have to admit, reading the bitterness from fan of other clubs on social media just because...

More at Roker Report...

The first I heard of any boycott? Surely fans should be boycotting the games against U21 teams? What's the point of boycotting a game with Morecombe? We had 1,600 there last night and I think Morecombe only get about 2,000 at home, so we've just boosted their coffers.

We are Sunderland AFC and we should be looking to win every competition we enter. Who do we think we are turning our noses up at the EFL Trophy?!

This. Surely any boycott would be much more effective if loads of fans turned up for every game between league one/ league two clubs but then boycotted any games against u21 sides. That would show that it is a viable, welcome competition but that they have no interest in having academy sides involved. For me that would make a much bigger statement, rather than simply being a convenient excuse not to have to attend a match that many people would choose to miss anyway

This. Surely any boycott would be much more effective if loads of fans turned up for every game between league one/ league two clubs but then boycotted any games against u21 sides. That would show that it is a viable, welcome competition but that they have no interest in having academy sides involved. For me that would make a much bigger statement, rather than simply being a convenient excuse not to have to attend a match that many people would choose to miss anyway
Especially when clubs at the bottom end of league 2 are so desperate for revenue and income - a couple of thousand through the gate could be make of break for a club like morecambe or newport.

Will these people be expecting an empty Wembley for the final?

They want attention, this is raw patter, Talksport style to get hits

My brother is a season ticket holder at Lincoln City. Last season was their first time back in the football League for a few years and thus their first time in the Football League Trophy for a few years as well. Over the past few years their attendances have absolutely rocketed (for them) historically they would only get 3/4000 on average and 5/6000 for local derby games against the likes of Grimsby , Hull and Scunthorpe et al now they're selling out every week with around 9'000 give or take a few away supporters but what's also entailed is that their band of modern 'ultra' style supporters has gone from a handful of teenagers waving flags and jumping up and down chanting to a few hundred. They call themselves the 617 Squadron and they made a very big deal last season about how they were going to be boycotting the Checkatrade Trophy so much so that the local media gave it some heavy coverage and the manager Danny Cowley even appealed for them not to boycott because they would be taking the competition seriously. Well, we all know what happened next, for the very first time Lincoln got to Wembley and actually won the thing. Do you think those lifelong Lincoln ultra supporters stuck to their guns and morals by not attending Wembley for the final? DID-THEY-FUCK!!

Last edited:

Agreed.

This comment from Mr Lee Ryder stood out for me like:

"That attendance has just been announced with the 66 fans from #nufc winning a round of applause for their efforts by home supporters."

He really is a proper bell end that fella.

:lol: They were applauded by the Morecambe and Sunderland fans alike.

The thing I find funniest about this, is that one of the arguments is that it costs clubs money to put the matches on.

The lad in the third link in the OP is suggesting that it puts a strain on clubs to staff the matches and most clubs make a loss, and that were an exception because of the amount of fans we take away.

Well the question I find myself asking is...why don’t you f***ing turn up, support your team, possibly get to wembley and help the club financially?

f***ing idiots.

I don’t give a toss what wank stain other “fans” think of us.

Morecambe football club don’t see it this way.
They are eternally greatful of our support yesterday as they have made a significant amount of money yesterday despite the lower ticket prices.
They have needed a boost for a while and have taken Sunderland to their hearts.
The feed back has been extremely positive from our visit.

Back