Cheap car to daily drive to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

We still don't know what the OP's budget is. But in this case there is more than enough evidence to support the saying that the best things come in small packages. The old advert for the Metro with Batman in the 80's proved it. The ad demonstrated the fact whereas the Batmobile was too big for a big build up city traffic congestion, the Metro on the other hand could nip through. In most other situations a smaller car is more practical. Why people venerate larger cars is beyond me.

For me there is nothing wrong with my Fizzy' (Slang for Fiesta) for commutes like the OP requires.

But if you want something that looks the part and has lots of equipment that won't let you down but that is cheap then the Audi A1.

how about an electric car? You can get a 13 plate Nissan Leaf for 7.5k. Let's face it, you'll be spending 90% of your commute either not moving or moving very slowly, an electric car uses next to no power in this situation, whereas a petrol will continue ticking over. There is also a good chance Newcastle will become a low emissions zone in the next few years, stage one for commercial vehicles is already on it's way, public won't be far behind. Parking is also easier since there are reserve electric car spots. Bigger upfront outlay for massively reduced costs over the lifetime.

We still don't know what the OP's budget is. But in this case there is more than enough evidence to support the saying that the best things come in small packages. The old advert for the Metro with Batman in the 80's proved it. The ad demonstrated the fact whereas the Batmobile was too big for a big build up city traffic congestion, the Metro on the other hand could nip through. In most other situations a smaller car is more practical. Why people venerate larger cars is beyond me.

For me there is nothing wrong with my Fizzy' (Slang for Fiesta) for commutes like the OP requires.

But if you want something that looks the part and has lots of equipment that won't let you down but that is cheap then the Audi A1.
You telling the lad to get a Metro?

how about an electric car? You can get a 13 plate Nissan Leaf for 7.5k. Let's face it, you'll be spending 90% of your commute either not moving or moving very slowly, an electric car uses next to no power in this situation, whereas a petrol will continue ticking over. There is also a good chance Newcastle will become a low emissions zone in the next few years, stage one for commercial vehicles is already on it's way, public won't be far behind. Parking is also easier since there are reserve electric car spots. Bigger upfront outlay for massively reduced costs over the lifetime.

Have been thinking about this. Would need to get an electric charging point installed at the house too.

What's reliability like for the 1st gen electric cars?

Good advice. If the OP ever needs to drive to London I’m sure you can chip in with a few pointers ;)

Have been thinking about this. Would need to get an electric charging point installed at the house too.

What's reliability like for the 1st gen electric cars?
Was talking to my mate last night, he's had a Leaf for three year and just got another to replace it when it goes back in January. I was asking about the battery on a three year old Leaf like the one he got. He's got the lowest battery option and reckons he gets about 60 mile out of a charge, but he'd expect to get more in the summer when he doesn't need the heaters on. I thought it would be canny to get one cos I don't do loads of miles day to day, but 60 mile doesn't seem like much at all.

Was talking to my mate last night, he's had a Leaf for three year and just got another to replace it when it goes back in January. I was asking about the battery on a three year old Leaf like the one he got. He's got the lowest battery option and reckons he gets about 60 mile out of a charge, but he'd expect to get more in the summer when he doesn't need the heaters on. I thought it would be canny to get one cos I don't do loads of miles day to day, but 60 mile doesn't seem like much at all.
One slow moving traffic jam would wipe that charge out. What puts me off is the speed of charging and the low mileage you get with them.

Wonder how much car makers spend on battery R&D

One slow moving traffic jam would wipe that charge out. What puts me off is the speed of charging and the low mileage you get with them.

Wonder how much car makers spend on battery R&D
He's probably doing about 20 mile a day with some traffic involved so I'm thinking he's based what he's told me on getting three days out of it. Suppose it's not too bad if you think of it in terms of getting three days commute out of a charge and just leaving it going overnight.

As for battery R&D, they're spending an absolute fortune on increasing capacity and reducing charging time and the size and weight of them.

He's probably doing about 20 mile a day with some traffic involved so I'm thinking he's based what he's told me on getting three days out of it. Suppose it's not too bad if you think of it in terms of getting three days commute out of a charge and just leaving it going overnight.

As for battery R&D, they're spending an absolute fortune on increasing capacity and reducing charging time and the size and weight of them.
Until charging a battery and the mileage it gets is the same as I get out of a internal combustion engine car I’ll hold off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back