Championship relegation watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
You looked a very effective team last year..What went wrong this season?

Is your ground move still on?
Two full backs sold for 12 million killed us replaced by freebies mate.
The virus has messed up the ground as who wants to invest now, oh well I guess div 1 is our level for quite some time.

You played quite well but in saying that we were crap as usual.
We need a fresh start as the championship is beyond both of us probably.

I’m looking forward to next season already, I’d rather us be in league one, winning games every week is a welcome change when you’ve been getting pumped for 8 months.

No we’re done, said so Saturday, stoke finished us off.
Yeah it was a similar result for both on Saturday after a pretty decent fightback once the footy restarted. I still felt both teams had a decent chance of they could bounce back tonight though.

Would imagine you'd be pretty confident of coming back up next season though? Luton the same in my opinion offered enough fight to have some positives despite going straight back down.

I’m looking forward to next season already, I’d rather us be in league one, winning games every week is a welcome change when you’ve been getting pumped for 8 months.
True. Think we will not be conceding 90 goals judging by Oxford Pompey.
Oxford or Wycombe are in for a real shock.

Yeah it was a similar result for both on Saturday after a pretty decent fightback once the footy restarted. I still felt both teams had a decent chance of they could bounce back tonight though.

Would imagine you'd be pretty confident of coming back up next season though? Luton the same in my opinion offered enough fight to have some positives despite going straight back down.

We’ve got 5 young kids coming through from the academy, and I’m really looking forward to watching them next season, I think they’ll take the league by storm if given the opportunity.

We’ve got 5 young kids coming through from the academy, and I’m really looking forward to watching them next season, I think they’ll take the league by storm if given the opportunity.
Seem really well run and always a good team to watch Barnsley,
and plenty to be excited about coming through as you say, good luck mate!

you have 42 points from 42 games....which equates to you either
a. drawing all your matches and losing none or
b. winning one and losing two every three games

i know you are in the relegation scrap but that form isnt so shabby even though i might not be enough to keep you up.
I would much rather be in the Champo that league 1 or even the Premiership...its the most closely fought abd unpredictable keague in England...and you always play twice a week

Last edited:
you have 42 points from 42 games....which equates to you either
a. drawing all your matches and losing none or
b. winning one and losing two every three games

i know you are in the relegation scrap but that form isnt so shabby even though i might not be enough to keep you up.
I would much rather be in the Champo that league 1 or even the Premiership...its the most closely fought abd unpredictable keague in England...and you always play twice a week

We beat Fulham first day of the season, then went 17 games without a win, picking up just 5 points, the new gaffer came in and we’ve been in mid table from since, but the damage was done under Stendels watch.

We beat Fulham first day of the season, then went 17 games without a win, picking up just 5 points, the new gaffer came in and we’ve been in mid table from since, but the damage was done under Stendels watch.

...which says to me you are good enough to compete in the Championship...and yet you want another season in L1 ?

...which says to me you are good enough to compete in the Championship...and yet you want another season in L1 ?

Competing in the championship means winning your home games against the bottom half, winning 3 or 4 away games each season and picking up a few draws along the way. All you achieve is the opportunity to do the same boring mundane shite for another season. A club with our budget and profile as a club is always going to really struggle to achieve anything else at that level.

Being a well run club in league one, means bringing though youngsters, being a top draw to the better players at that level, winning most weeks home and away, spending the full season at the right end of the table challenging for the prizes = a league title or promotion, our playing philosophy is good quick passing attacking football, most teams in league one can’t cope with it and it’s a pleasure to watch.

I’d pick the latter every time. The former is decent for a season, but you don’t want it regularly.

The big difference in the Championship is the oppo , the stature of the clubs. Almost all are ex premier league and the visiting numbers average between 1,500-2,000 creating a decent atmosphere. There's very few home games in Div 1 to look forward to but some enjoyable away days.

Competing in the championship means winning your home games against the bottom half, winning 3 or 4 away games each season and picking up a few draws along the way. All you achieve is the opportunity to do the same boring mundane shite for another season. A club with our budget and profile as a club is always going to really struggle to achieve anything else at that level.

Being a well run club in league one, means bringing though youngsters, being a top draw to the better players at that level, winning most weeks home and away, spending the full season at the right end of the table challenging for the prizes = a league title or promotion, our playing philosophy is good quick passing attacking football, most teams in league one can’t cope with it and it’s a pleasure to watch.

I’d pick the latter every time. The former is decent for a season, but you don’t want it regularly.
Aye but winning most games leads you to that level anyway and you should want to be at the highest level possible

Aye but winning most games leads you to that level anyway and you should want to be at the highest level possible

Bollox, not for me pal, much rather be at a level where we’re capable of a top six finish, I’m my life time I’ve had 20 years of watching us struggle at the bottom of the championship pretending survival is an achievement, all we ever achieve with survival, is another relegation scrap for the season after, it’s a proper shit fest, being in league one ripping it up, going up then straight back down, to have another season of smashing teams, is far better then 8 seasons on spin finishing in bottom 6/8 . And no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Bollox, not for me pal, much rather be at a level where we’re capable of a top six finish, I’m my life time I’ve had 20 years of watching us struggle at the bottom of the championship pretending survival is an achievement, all we ever achieve with survival, is another relegation scrap for the season after, it’s a proper shit fest, being in league one ripping it up, going up then straight back down, to have another season of smashing teams, is far better then 8 seasons on spin finishing in bottom 6/8 . And no one will ever convince me otherwise.
You getting relegated and then promotion won't happen every time though, plus if you get a decent manager you wouldn't have to struggle in the championship and eventually you can build

still a few twists and turns down that bottom end hopefully
You weren't kidding!
You had a premier league season in the 90s, but mostly you're a dead second tier team. If you go down this season, you'll be back up before too long.

Last edited:
You getting relegated and then promotion won't happen every time though, plus if you get a decent manager you wouldn't have to struggle in the championship and eventually you can build

we could have Klopp in charge, still be in a relegation battle ever season, we’ve had some really good head coaches, but every one of them have always had their best player sold from under them, because that’s how we’re run as a club, the minute we’ve developed a player into someone who can demands wages higher than we pay they through the door, and we’re back to trying to develop players again, in league one it’s easy, in the championship it’s nearly impossible on the scale we have to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back