Championship relegation watch

Today was always going to be a tough game for Wigan. But, they have been in brilliant form, so I wouldn't rule them out just yet.

I still can't help but think Hull are gonna go down, they're so bad.

And both will get out of it. You're looking at it without Wigan's deduction. As it stands it is:

Hull P40, -14, PTS 45
Boro P40, -11, PTS 44
---------------------------------
Barnsley P41, -20, PTS 41
Luton P41, -30, PTS 40
Wigan P41, -6 PTS, 38

If Boro win 1 of their final 6 matches, Barnsley need at least 7 points from their final 5 to pass them, 2 wins they'll need 10 points etc. It's a massive ask.
Barnsley have got Luton and Wigan in the next 2 games, so it might be a bit early to write them off. Boro still need 4 or 5 points minimum to guarantee safety IMO.

Quick edit: Luton still have Hull, Barnsley and Huddersfield to play so I'd even be reluctant to count them out. Loads of 6 pointers coming up at the bottom.

Last edited:
Barnsley have got Luton and Wigan in the next 2 games, so it might be a bit early to write them off. Boro still need 4 or 5 points minimum to guarantee safety IMO.
In that case, maybe, but they'll still be big outsiders, and need to take at least 4 from those, ideally 6. Their last 3 games all look very tough, but actually might not be as bad by the time those fixtures come around.

Wigan have got QPR, Hull, & Fulham at home, and they have Barnsley and Charlton away.

If they win 4, they can stay up IMHO, and they are all games that can be won in their current form.

Losing to the best form team around in Brentford is no disgrace.

SkyBet have their relegation odds out, and while there are 3 clear favourites to drop, I guess the fact that some of those play each other, means they are not complete write offs yet, because if there is a winner in the Luton vs Barnsley match on Tuesday, then that team will edge a bit closer:

Luton 2/9
Barnsley 2/7
Wigan 2/7
Hull 11/4
Charlton 4/1
Boro 8/1
Huddersfield 10/1
Stoke 11/1

But it's obviously looking a hell of a lot better for those wanting the 'bigger' clubs to avoid relegation than it was 4 or 5 days ago. On Tuesday night Hull were 1/2, Huddersfield 2/1, Stoke around 9/4 etc, now the situation for the latter two looks a lot better.

Last edited:
Looking forward to next season already, hopefully it goes ahead and we can go to games, if we can keep most of this squad together, and just sell Woodrow & Mowatt, we should be in good shape to challenge at the top end of the league all season, we’ve got a really good squad of young players who I feel will thrive in league one.

Looking forward to next season already, hopefully it goes ahead and we can go to games, if we can keep most of this squad together, and just sell Woodrow & Mowatt, we should be in good shape to challenge at the top end of the league all season, we’ve got a really good squad of young players who I feel will thrive in league one.

Do you think you're definitely going?

Luton look doomed

SkyBet have their relegation odds out, and while there are 3 clear favourites to drop, I guess the fact that some of those play each other, means they are not complete write offs yet, because if there is a winner in the Luton vs Barnsley match on Tuesday, then that team will edge a bit closer:

Luton 2/9
Barnsley 2/7
Wigan 2/7
Hull 11/4
Charlton 4/1
Boro 8/1
Huddersfield 10/1
Stoke 11/1

But it's obviously looking a hell of a lot better for those wanting the 'bigger' clubs to avoid relegation than it was 4 or 5 days ago. On Tuesday night Hull were 1/2, Huddersfield 2/1, Stoke around 9/4 etc, now the situation for the latter two looks a lot better.

I still don't get how and why we're so long odds. It's bizarre.
Great result.
Still a twist or two.
Boro and Hull getting results tomorrow would not surprise.

To be fair today was a huge shock. I didn't see this coming in a month of Sunday's. Pretty much all of our squad found a couple of extra gears. Looks like the roasting they had from O'Neill after the Wigan game worked wonders.

Last edited:
Do you think you're definitely going?

Luton look doomed

Today was massive, it’s too much now, Tuesday is a nailed on 0-0 draw and it’ll be the final nails.
I’m not too down beat, because I’m 100% sure we’ll be challenging at the top end of the table next season, we’ve got a quality squad for that level, we’re well run so no need for massive amounts of change in the close season, the last twice we’ve been relegated, we’ve been as good as can be expected for the budget we have, we’ve not stank the championship up we’ve just not been able to compete financially, which in my opinion stands us in good stead for next season, the clubs philosophy and playing style is correct, we’ve got a decent head coach and a decent ish record of finding head coaches should he leave. so like I say in my opinion we should be decent next season.

Last edited:

Back