Championship relegation watch

I still don't get how and why we're so long odds. It's bizarre.

I can understand from your perspective as a fan still with a bit of pessimism - you'll see yourself 5 clear and if you lose, they win etc. you're right back in it, and of course, if that happened, then your odds would come back in a bit, but you'll be 8 points clear of Wigan with 5 to go, 6 clear of Luton with a much better goal difference, which won't be turned around in 5 games (you're +25 better off, so that would need like a 5 goal siwng every match), so it'll take at least 3 matches for either of those to catch you, which leaves Barnsley 5 behind, plus a far worse GD - and they also play Luton, so points are going to be dropped by at least one there, so you're kind of effectively looking to avoid one relagation place, and you've currently got a lot of sides between yourselves and 3rd bottom Barnsley, so even if they did go on a great run, the chances are you'll still be reasonably likely to finish above a Charlton or Hull, and hence the very long odds. But as I say I do appreciate you'll probably be looking at it from a 5 points clear, we lose, they win, 2 points and squeaky bum time type of perspective.

One thing I didnt really understand is Hull being 1 point ahead of Boro, but they are 11/4 to go down, while Boro are 8/1. Boro do look to have the better run in, and there will also be the human perception that they are the better team with better players (despite that result the other day) and more likely to be able to get out of it, but the difference between those odds does seem a bit too much from a points on board perspective.

I can understand from your perspective as a fan still with a bit of pessimism - you'll see yourself 5 clear and if you lose, they win etc. you're right back in it, and of course, if that happened, then your odds would come back in a bit, but you'll be 8 points clear of Wigan with 5 to go, 6 clear of Luton with a much better goal difference, which won't be turned around in 5 games (you're +25 better off, so that would need like a 5 goal siwng every match), so it'll take at least 3 matches for either of those to catch you, which leaves Barnsley 5 behind, plus a far worse GD - and they also play Luton, so points are going to be dropped by at least one there, so you're kind of effectively looking to avoid one relagation place, and you've currently got a lot of sides between yourselves and 3rd bottom Barnsley, so even if they did go on a great run, the chances are you'll still be reasonably likely to finish above a Charlton or Hull, and hence the very long odds. But as I say I do appreciate you'll probably be looking at it from a 5 points clear, we lose, they win, 2 points and squeaky bum time type of perspective.

One thing I didnt really understand is Hull being 1 point ahead of Boro, but they are 11/4 to go down, while Boro are 8/1. Boro do look to have the better run in, and there will also be the human perception that they are the better team with better players (despite that result the other day) and more likely to be able to get out of it, but the difference between those odds does seem a bit too much from a points on board perspective.

I was astonished Hull beat 'Boro the other night, I'd backed 'Boro heavily. Hull were much better than I expected them to be but still not very good. Grant McCann has had the rug pulled from underneath his feet and both arms tied behind his back so if he does keep Hull up he'll deserve a medal.

One thing I will say is that Hull are the worst side i've ever seen at that level. We played them in the last game before lockdown, hit them for 5 and it could have been 7 or 8. They were that bad.

Bloody awful side.

They have lost a number of first team players since too

This might be ironic, since our manager managed him at international level, but no way can a side survive relegation with Josh Magennis up front. If they stopped up at our expense with that galoot up front I think i'd cry.

If they moved so they could live in "The Beautiful South" they got that one wrong!

When Luton were in league two they decided to go the same way as us, Young players playing a set style of football, so when we decided they weren’t good enough for championship/league one Luton snapped them up and developed them at a lower level and they kept improving to a good league one standard.

Frankly I don't care or mind who goes down.

Then again not looking forward to us playing any of those teams who go down. Given what has happened to the club not just the squad I fear clubs like Barnsley and Stoke are going to rip us apart.

Last edited:
Saturday was the killer it zapped all their belief out of them, you could see it leave them when the second goal went in.
Think you've got any chance now? Watched the game and felt a bit must win for both sides and you're both probably going down now.
Shame as I like both Luton and Barnsley.

Saturday was the killer it zapped all their belief out of them, you could see it leave them when the second goal went in.
You played quite well but in saying that we were crap as usual.
We need a fresh start as the championship is beyond both of us probably.

Back