Championship Manager 93, 96/97 and 97/98

Yes.. Football Manager on the ZX Spectrum back in 84 was succinctly shit and therefore totally mint. Sitting for hours watching matchstick men judder around the screen doing fuck all.. who says the youth of today are brain dead.. we could beat them hands down!!
Break
Return

If you know....
You signed orosco and Collis yet
They were only on the Amiga version, and only one of the 3 data packs (94 I think, not original 93 or End of Season)

Personal favourite footie game has to be Player Manager on the Amiga by Anco. Mixed management and a top down game where you could be either the manager or participate in the game as a player/manager. Spent far too long setting up crosses for half volleys on that.

And also on Amiga, Sensible Soccer.

Personal favourite footie game has to be Player Manager on the Amiga by Anco. Mixed management and a top down game where you could be either the manager or participate in the game as a player/manager. Spent far too long setting up crosses for half volleys on that.

And also on Amiga, Sensible Soccer.
Sensi was the daddy.

You reminded me of John Barnes' Footy game, where you could plan setpieces to a huge degree of complexity.
They absolutely never worked, though :lol:

Doing alreet in the current version (FM 24)
Won the Champions League with Sunderland against Paris St German.

Got South Shields from non League into the Championship.
Just about to move into a newly built 11,000+ stadium but really struggling in the Championship.

97/98 was my first champ and probably the one I played the most.i had some great seasons but sometimes I did cheat. I used to take over other teams and then buy all my unwanted players and sell me their better ones. At one point I took over every team I was about to play, put the out the worst team possible with a striker in goal and everyone over to one side and hammered them 50-0 and stuff🤣, I think Niall Quinn got about 150 goals that season. Sometimes I used to switch the computer off in a rage when I got beat. It was also easy to mod, used to add ourselves in and you could easily change the commentary as it was just a text file, replace words with swear words. Hilarious as a kid. Champ used to be a great source to find out about players before most others really. Some players were greats in real life some where champ man only.

CM 01/02 was the one.

I took Luton to the PL and won the UEFA Cup. CM was still Matthew Taylor and Matthew Spring and a smattering of players from Tenerife.

Only played one version of it. I think it was 99/00. Just sign Martin Palermo and he would score insane amounts of goals.

Sensible Soccer will also be the best football game for me

There were some great 8 bit games in the 1980s. Star Wars, Rally-X, Crazy Climber/Steeplejack, Donkey Kong, are still playable today. Needs the Arcade hardware versions mind.
Get a raspberry pi3b+ and i'll send you a free build with around 10,000 of the old games, just plug in to your tv and play
97/98 was my first champ and probably the one I played the most.i had some great seasons but sometimes I did cheat. I used to take over other teams and then buy all my unwanted players and sell me their better ones. At one point I took over every team I was about to play, put the out the worst team possible with a striker in goal and everyone over to one side and hammered them 50-0 and stuff🤣, I think Niall Quinn got about 150 goals that season. Sometimes I used to switch the computer off in a rage when I got beat. It was also easy to mod, used to add ourselves in and you could easily change the commentary as it was just a text file, replace words with swear words. Hilarious as a kid. Champ used to be a great source to find out about players before most others really. Some players were greats in real life some where champ man only.
Danny Webber is this. He complained to the game developers that he wasnt good enough in the game, so they made him one of the best strikers in it.

Also, Freddie Adu, like 15 year old and becomes one of the best in the world. Didn't get anywhere near his potential

Last edited:

Back