CC: Durham v Glamorgan

Been a weird morning so far. Sun shining but wicket too wet for play? The old scoreboard was in full operation showing 163 for 3. Thought I’d missed a days play. Can’t understand what that related to.

Starting at noon now. Bet lunch is still at 12.30 though.

See he got a ton for the seconds batting at 3.

Cricinfo has him coming in after raine, seen he bowled legbreak on cricinfo so wasn't sure if he was some spinner.

It was the same on the BBC scorecard, but I’d be very surprised if that happens. Think he’ll come in 6 or 7 personally, reckon they’d like to protect him down the order a bit in his debut.

Lunch: 75-2 - after being inserted on a September morning, where the start was delayed due to a wet pitch, I think it’s fair to suggest that represents a good first session for us.

Last edited:
Sol Bell makes his FC debut.
Unbelievable that

I’ve watched this lad since he played under 11 cricket against my son, Durham city v cls cc 9 years ago now

All sol ever wanted to do was play for Durham

His best mate Jonny bushnell will no doubt join him soon enough
See he got a ton for the seconds batting at 3.

Cricinfo has him coming in after raine, seen he bowled legbreak on cricinfo so wasn't sure if he was some spinner.
He used to bowl leg break but gave that up quite a while ago now

Only bowls occasionally and iirc it’s medium pace

Very quiet on here today, appears that the end of term feeling has taken hold of most of us.

On the field, 50 partnership for the third wicket. Lees and Watling have left well, the Glamorgan bowlers have bowled a disciplined line outside off, but it’s been about 5th stump and therefore not much need for our lads to play. Would think Rushy, Raine et al would’ve challenged the stumps a bit more. Must say though, Hogan has got two to climb alarmingly off a length outside off in the last three overs.

95-2 (30 overs), Lees 45*, Watling 32*.

Edit - Lees gone, left a ball that stayed low and hit him outside of off. Finger was up before the appeal. Didn’t think it had done enough personally.
————

2nd Edit - On closer inspection, Lees is batting outside off and when it hit his front pad, all three stumps can be seen behind him. Very poor decision. To add to it, Steel’s lbw looked to be missing leg also. Whoever the umpire is from Hogan’s end, he’s having a mare.
Watling 50* from 89 balls with 6 fours.

Last edited:
He still bowls leggies, although very occasionally.

Pretty sure hes batting 6. Was meant to be off to Oz last week but was a delay with the visa, seems to have worked out perfectly for him.

Unbelievable that

I’ve watched this lad since he played under 11 cricket against my son, Durham city v cls cc 9 years ago now

All sol ever wanted to do was play for Durham

His best mate Jonny bushnell will no doubt join him soon enough

He used to bowl leg break but gave that up quite a while ago now

Only bowls occasionally and iirc it’s medium pace

He still bowls leggies, although very occasionally.

Pretty sure hes batting 6. Was meant to be off to Oz last week but was a delay with the visa, seems to have worked out perfectly for him.

Heartened to hear he’ll be getting a winter of cricket under his belt. Hopefully improve him as a cricketer and a man :cool:
————

Burnham dismissed in the final over before Tea, to a ball which reared up off a length and took the shoulder of the bat. Can’t fault him really, batted very watchfully before that. Sol Bell then sees off the last three balls of the over - which was odd, normally a wicket in the final over of a session will signal the interval........ 140-4.

Lees, Watling and Burnham all left the ball very well, it appears there’s been an obvious message from the management to avoid unnecessary strokes on a wicket which appears to be quite lively. If we can get through to the Close with power to add tomorrow, that should see us past 250 and I think with our bowling attack a score of that much should be quite a formidable total.

Last edited:
Very quiet on here today, appears that the end of term feeling has taken hold of most of us.

On the field, 50 partnership for the third wicket. Lees and Watling have left well, the Glamorgan bowlers have bowled a disciplined line outside off, but it’s been about 5th stump and therefore not much need for our lads to play. Would think Rushy, Raine et al would’ve challenged the stumps a bit more. Must say though, Hogan has got two to climb alarmingly off a length outside off in the last three overs.

95-2 (30 overs), Lees 45*, Watling 32*.

Edit - Lees gone, left a ball that stayed low and hit him outside of off. Finger was up before the appeal. Didn’t think it had done enough personally.
————

2nd Edit - On closer inspection, Lees is batting outside off and when it hit his front pad, all three stumps can be seen behind him. Very poor decision. To add to it, Steel’s lbw looked to be missing leg also. Whoever the umpire is from Hogan’s end, he’s having a mare.
Watling 50* from 89 balls with 6 fours.

Lee's did look like it would have missed the off stump but it was a daft leave

Lee's did look like it would have missed the off stump but it was a daft leave

The ball was missing off stump, so no, it wasn’t a daft leave.

Aye, he’s been given out, but he knows where his off stump is, just a shame the umpire didn’t. Or perhaps he did :neutral:

143-5 - Bell out for 1. Got to guard against the collapse now.

He is marra.

Not heard anything but wouldn’t surprise me if he’s got another year left on his current deal - someone more ITK on those matters can confirm though.
Came on a 2 year deal at the beginning of 2018. I reckon he was dead and buried about 3 months ago but fair play to the bloke he has comeback well. I think he will be 37 next season though.
Is Burnham just contracted to the end of the season? Does he deserve another year?
I think his is up. He will get another contract on the back of he looks a good player when he gets in but has to start scoring more runs especially hundreds.
Also it shouldn't really count but he is comfortably the best boundary fielder in one day cricket at the club. He looks the only one that has got an arm excluding Stokes.

Last edited:
I had visions of Durham being skittled for about 70 with all the problems this morning with the wicket but was impressed with Watling's solid undefeated knock of 83 although I have to say Glamorgan looked like a team who didnt think they could overhaul Gloucs.

We had no less than three all run fours to the pavilion side which shows how short the other boundary was.

Cant see much chance of play tomorrow so back on Wednesday hopefully.

Back