Catts and Oviedo - £500k each

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn’t Oviedo assisted a few goals and is playing well. Cattermole 2 out of 2 good games.

Pretty pointless thread

As the PL window is closed it is unlikely we will now sell either of these two. Much has been written about the fact we cant afford to keep these two. If the best we are now looking at is a loan to the Championship with us contributing to their wages id say we should keep them.

Championship clubs are unlikely to contribute more than £15k a month to their wages - few non strikers get more than this in the Championship except where relegated clubs are stuck with players. If we would need to sign replacements on say £5k a week then the real marginal cost to us of retaining these players is £10k a week each or £500k per annum.

I think both are vulnerable to injury but at the same time were 2 of our top 3 players on Saturday.

If we get an offer for full wages (and a fee?) then of course we sell. If its a subsidised loan deal which means we only save £500k each i'd say we keep them both.
Nothing has been said about us not been able to afford there wages, Donald said we can afford to pay the wages

I'd be happy keep Oviedo as I think he'll continue to be an asset to us playing wise and financially.

Cattermole at some point will be crocked/past it well before the end of the remaining 3 years so I'd still be keen to get him off our books permanently asap as I can only see any potential deals getting worse.

Oviedo will win us more games than Cattermole. 3 assists in 3 games while Cattermole won’t be first choice when McGeough is back. No brainer for me keep Oviedo

Fairly simple for me, unless someone is taking on the entirety of there contracts, AND we are getting a fee for Oviedo then they stay.

I don’t think anybody including Donald has said that we can’t afford to keep them, in fact the opposite is true, however it does make financial sense that if we can do a suitable deal we move them on but there’s no need to act in desperation
To me SD will only let anyone go on loan if they covet all their wages

Keep Bryan
Get rid of Cattermole and Byrne.
Be the most difficult to retain by a country mile

Last edited:
I think your living in cloud cuckoo land mate, he has never said any such thing !!! In TWO separate podcasts the owner has categorically states that ONE of the big earners could be retained ' IF ABSOLUTLEY NECCESSARY '

We simply cannot sustain any player of these wages in League 1.
I can't be arsed to trawl back through every thing the bloke has said since arriving, as he's said a lot, but he has reiterated the following several times over...

"We can afford to keep these players," Donald told BBC Newcastle.

"We're not desperate, we can afford these players and want a fair figure. We want to keep some of those players that want to go, and we need to articulate those players and get them to to buy in."

Donald added: "If we're left with some players on big money, then the trick will be for Jack Ross to get them performing in a way that the Sunderland fans appreciate and want them in their team."

Stewart Donald: Sunderland owner says no pressure to sell players despite high wage-bill

That was back in June.

I'd be happy keep Oviedo as I think he'll continue to be an asset to us playing wise and financially.

Cattermole at some point will be crocked/past it well before the end of the remaining 3 years so I'd still be keen to get him off our books permanently asap as I can only see any potential deals getting worse.

Oviedo is fit at the moment, but realistically given his history why would he be any different?

Fairly simple for me, unless someone is taking on the entirety of there contracts, AND we are getting a fee for Oviedo then they stay.

This

I can't be arsed to trawl back through every thing the bloke has said since arriving, as he's said a lot, but he has reiterated the following several times over...

"We can afford to keep these players," Donald told BBC Newcastle.

"We're not desperate, we can afford these players and want a fair figure. We want to keep some of those players that want to go, and we need to articulate those players and get them to to buy in."

Donald added: "If we're left with some players on big money, then the trick will be for Jack Ross to get them performing in a way that the Sunderland fans appreciate and want them in their team."

Stewart Donald: Sunderland owner says no pressure to sell players despite high wage-bill

That was back in June.

SD has also said he wants the wage bill around the £12m mark in Division 1. We are currently around the £17m mark. The only way of getting the last £5m off the wage bill is N'dong, djilli, Oviedo and Catts.

SD said we did not need to sell Asoro or McNair - butwe did.

What SD says we need to do and what we do are not necessarily the same thing.

Last edited:
This

SD has also said he wants the wage bill around the £12m mark in Division 1. We are currently around the £17m mark. The only way of getting the last £5m off the wage bill is N'dong, djilli, Oviedo and Catts.

SD said we did not need to sell Asoro or McNair - butwe did.

What SD says we need to do and what we do are not necessarily the same thing.

Yes but Asoro and McNair wanted to leave and told the club that, so we get the best price we can instead of being stuck with someone who doesn’t want to be here

The same applies to the 4 remaining, although Oviedo & Cattermole are doing it the right way and being professional about it. I don’t suppose that changes they don’t want to be here or in league 1.

If we get a deal that makes sense financially then all 4 will go, probably all abroad imo

Oviedo is fit at the moment, but realistically given his history why would he be any different?
With Catts I mean more that he'll be crocked to the point where nobody will want him for anything that doesn't involve us paying 75% of his contract for the next 3 years. If they want him at all.

I totally agree that Oviedo isn't the most reliable but I think he'll be easier to sell at any point. If we need/want to.

Cat 3 having a meltdown here biting at every comment, are you related to Nobles family?

end of the day:

1) we CAN afford to keep catts and Oviedo, also was very cringeworthy reading you go back and state its what fans have said......yeah course youd make a post and not state that at the start.

2) oviedo has played well and said he will do everything for the club.....yes players say what the fans want to hear ("Something like:" rings a bell)

3) "SD said we did not need to sell Asoro or McNair - butwe did." yeah thats because a deal came in we couldnt refuse and he felt was acceptable....to this point no deal for oviedo or catts has been viewed as acceptable by the board.

4) go and crawl back under your rock and come back when youve actually got something decent to post about.

Can’t really see either of them moving abroad but I’m definitely happy for the club to keep hold of them they’ve both got experience and can keep a tight ship if we go a goal down keep the youngsters heads up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back