Catts and Oviedo - £500k each

Status
Not open for further replies.

If Cattermole plays well I'd be looking to offload him to a championship club in January, no way he'd get a premier league club unless someone like Cardiff are interested. If he stays we'll be moaning about him this time next year

Oviedo I would look to keep, as someone else has pointed out he is a cut above at this level and his crossing excellent.

I agreed with the OP. I can understand fans being picky about football finances with what happened with Short, but if the owners have said we can afford to keep these players I don't know why people are so desperate to balance the books on their behalf.

At the minute we're a better side with Oviedo on the pitch. I don't know the exact sums but if the OP is right and he'll cost us £500k over the season surely it's better to have that amount 'invested' in having that quality in the team when the aim is to finish as high up the table as possible.

While I would let him go if he wasn't going to keep costing us money (us subsidising his wages elsewhere) i do think he could have a part to play especially if McGeouch is a bit of a sicknote, an injury to Max P would leave us very vunerable in CM, we'd be down to 09, Robson and Bali, or the the other side of the coin is that Catts is more likely than all of them to get crocked ! Oviedo I would keep unless we could get a decent fee for him (£2m +)

Good post. If we can get someone to pay a reasonable proportion of his wages and then use that money to bring in a loan player who JR actually wants here then I'd let him go.

What on earth are you talking about? I merely said a loan to a Championship will probably only save us £500k per annum. If they are the only deals on table i'd keep the pair.

"Did i say 'Donald said we cant afford them'? I was talking about posters on here and sports journos."

I belong to the 1% that believe we can't afford to keep them …..regardless of what Stewart Donald says, I bet he's a sh!t poker player.

I'm sure we could afford to keep them. Our turnover will be about £50m this year. Most of the new players will be on very little, Donald had mentioned £7000 a week being a lot at this level. We could have 20 at that level and it would only be £7.3m of the turnover spent on the wages for a whole squad of new players. Assuming we can get rid of the two twats we aren't paying we've probably got 3 big earners. Let's take a guess and say Catts and Oviedo £35000 each, McGeady £20000. That's an extra £4.7m.

Now, those figures are a bit of a guess and I'm sure some of the others from the Championship might be on a bit more than £7k (Watmore definitely will, Matthews probably as well) but using it for arguments sake that would mean a wage bill of £12m. Hell, even if we call it £17m to allow for some earning a bit more that's still not a massive issue this season and represents a much lower wage to turnover ratio than we've had in years.

Naturally this is boosted massively by the parachute payment, it wouldn't be wise to carry the massive wages since next year we get another big drop in turnover. Equally we know we have other payments going out etc. Despite that I think it's easy to see that, whilst not ideal, we could handle having their wages for a season, as long as we never have to pay for Ndong or Djilibodji again. We won't want to spend £5m on 3 players this season, but we could do it

It's more about FFP , we are already been monitored by the EFL about our wages and made promises that we would get the wage bill down

Having 2 players on wages like this will impact us and FFP could bring us points deductions

I thought FFP wasn't applied to Leagues 1&2 ? And SCMP did ?

From the SCMP rules
League 1 clubs can spend a maximum of 60% of their turnover on wages

The rules apply to all clubs and there is no moratorium for clubs relegated from the Championship. However, Transitional Arrangements are in place whereby clubs are allowed to exclude the wage costs of all players that the club signed pre September of the relegation season, if they were signed on contracts in excess of 3 seasons.

Reactions: Sid
As the PL window is closed it is unlikely we will now sell either of these two. Much has been written about the fact we cant afford to keep these two. If the best we are now looking at is a loan to the Championship with us contributing to their wages id say we should keep them.

Championship clubs are unlikely to contribute more than £15k a month to their wages - few non strikers get more than this in the Championship except where relegated clubs are stuck with players. If we would need to sign replacements on say £5k a week then the real marginal cost to us of retaining these players is £10k a week each or £500k per annum.

I think both are vulnerable to injury but at the same time were 2 of our top 3 players on Saturday.

If we get an offer for full wages (and a fee?) then of course we sell. If its a subsidised loan deal which means we only save £500k each i'd say we keep them both.

They were and still are more likely to go abroad imo, and their windows are still open generally until end of Aug.

If we can do a deal with a guarantee buy in Jan or next Summer then get rid of their contract, even if we need to compromise on fee / wage contribution until then

Love how the attitude towards Cattermole appears to have shifted after a couple of decent games. Can still go for me.

Oviedo has far too much quality for this level and that’s evident, he’s the one I’d love to keep but accept if he’s sold.

James and Hume should be fine

I don’t think anybody including Donald has said that we can’t afford to keep them, in fact the opposite is true, however it does make financial sense that if we can do a suitable deal we move them on but there’s no need to act in desperation

Just keep them, if we can afford them, keep them

They were and still are more likely to go abroad imo, and their windows are still open generally until end of Aug.

If we can do a deal with a guarantee buy in Jan or next Summer then get rid of their contract, even if we need to compromise on fee / wage contribution until then

Yep. The Italian window, I think, has closed but the rest of Europe stay open until August 31st.

Reactions: Gaz
Should be lookin to extend their contracts to be honest after such a good start of the season. Make sure we keep them at the club

I assume that's a piss take ????

No it hasn't. Donald's said over and over that we absolutely can afford them if needs be.

I think your living in cloud cuckoo land mate, he has never said any such thing !!! In TWO separate podcasts the owner has categorically states that ONE of the big earners could be retained ' IF ABSOLUTLEY NECCESSARY '

We simply cannot sustain any player of these wages in League 1.

Last edited:
No it hasn't. Donald's said over and over that we absolutely can afford them if needs be.

What I heard SD say on the Roker Report podcast (weeks back) was that we could not afford to keep all the big earners, but as you say, he confirmed we could afford to keep some of them. But he wasn't specific about how many.

We've got rid of Khazri, and Kone since then ... but still have Djil. NDong, Catts, Oviedo. Question is whether it's viable to keep all of them. Obviously if we could offload the first two as everybody hopes, then things should be ok. But it's looking more likely that a subsidised loan may be the best we can do for thee.

I may have missed SD giving further more precise updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back