Catts and Oviedo - £500k each

Cattermole has showed me nothing that McGeouch couldn't do on a fraction of his wages...

As McGeouch has yet to be fit to play a competitive game for SAFC i am yet to be convinced. But more to the point even if McGeouch delivers we need at least 4 central midfielders of quality.

As the PL window is closed it is unlikely we will now sell either of these two. Much has been written about the fact we cant afford to keep these two. If the best we are now looking at is a loan to the Championship with us contributing to their wages id say we should keep them.

Championship clubs are unlikely to contribute more than £15k a month to their wages - few non strikers get more than this in the Championship except where relegated clubs are stuck with players. If we would need to sign replacements on say £5k a week then the real marginal cost to us of retaining these players is £10k a week each or £500k per annum.

I think both are vulnerable to injury but at the same time were 2 of our top 3 players on Saturday.

If we get an offer for full wages (and a fee?) then of course we sell. If its a subsidised loan deal which means we only save £500k each i'd say we keep them both.

If 35,000 turn up to see Sunderland between now and the end of the season we won't need to move them on. Unlike the premiership days, crowds are our main source of income. The owners will have based their business plan on crowds of around 25,000.

Cattermole could leave on a free for me, clubs won't want him for nothing though which tells a story but I do think a prem team could take a punt on him with a 2 year deal like.

Oviedo on the other hand we still owe money to Everton for him so I reckon he'll have to stay unless he takes a pay cut.

If 35,000 turn up to see Sunderland between now and the end of the season we won't need to move them on. Unlike the premiership days, crowds are our main source of income. The owners will have based their business plan on crowds of around 25,000.

Really? I imagine gate receipts will be quickly gobbled up by expenditures, whether we have 10,000 or 30,000.

This is it. He simply isn't worth the cost of keeping him.
While I would let him go if he wasn't going to keep costing us money (us subsidising his wages elsewhere) i do think he could have a part to play especially if McGeouch is a bit of a sicknote, an injury to Max P would leave us very vunerable in CM, we'd be down to 09, Robson and Bali, or the the other side of the coin is that Catts is more likely than all of them to get crocked ! Oviedo I would keep unless we could get a decent fee for him (£2m +)

As the PL window is closed it is unlikely we will now sell either of these two. Much has been written about the fact we cant afford to keep these two. If the best we are now looking at is a loan to the Championship with us contributing to their wages id say we should keep them.

Championship clubs are unlikely to contribute more than £15k a month to their wages - few non strikers get more than this in the Championship except where relegated clubs are stuck with players. If we would need to sign replacements on say £5k a week then the real marginal cost to us of retaining these players is £10k a week each or £500k per annum.

I think both are vulnerable to injury but at the same time were 2 of our top 3 players on Saturday.

If we get an offer for full wages (and a fee?) then of course we sell. If its a subsidised loan deal which means we only save £500k each i'd say we keep them both.

We can afford the wages man, don't u listen to the podcasts ?

It's more about FFP , we are already been monitored by the EFL about our wages and made promises that we would get the wage bill down

Having 2 players on wages like this will impact us and FFP could bring us points deductions

Unfortunately Oviedo is more likely to be sold/loaned out. I think he could make a big difference to us this season if he were to stay.

Agreed. Oviedo has always looked like of we had a half decent team he'd be a big asset. Remember at Everton he was very much an attacking player and has really become a left back out of necessity for us. Now that we're regularly getting in attacking situations you can see his quality more.

Big believer that Ndong would be the same btw, not that we'll ever know.

It's more about FFP , we are already been monitored by the EFL about our wages and made promises that we would get the wage bill down

Having 2 players on wages like this will impact us and FFP could bring us points deductions
Someone will probably know whether this is correct, but I understood, existing contracts didn't effect FFP, for the record I'd keep Oveido 3 assists so far this season, if an offer came in for Cattermole I'd move him on.

Back