Carvery etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strictly speaking it’s in Killingworth Village ;) but your point about the quality is certainly bang on!
(It’s my local!)
Proper lush ain’t it mate, always busy too.

If you ever see a man coming in filling his plate and having to duck under doors that’s me :lol:

Probs take my lass on Sunday

Last edited:

Just been to the carvery at Cleadon and we were getting the meat put on our plate when a lad pushed in in front of our lass and filled his gravy-stained plate with roast taties & veg. Saw this happen again when we were eating - a lass that had been in the queue with us went back and filled her plate with stuff.
I jokingly said to the missus that they were probably filling up a doggy-bag, then a bloke walks past with a doggy bag :lol:
It was like an episode of Partridge, or is this acceptable?

Bad form to cut in front of people to start with. Didn't know carvery allowed you to have doggy bags

I thought you were queuing for the meat and someone bypassed the meat bit for a bit extra veg, as is normal.

Not sure what happened. Is it the second helping that seemed wrong? Isn't that why people go to these things? I'm not really a fan unless it's empty, a midweek £5 empty Toby isn't bad value, otherwise I'll avoid

I've just remembered, the normal carvery was a tenner and it was about £2 more for the "king-size". Why would they do this if you can go back to get as much as you want anyway? Doesn't make sense.

No they don’t it’s all fresh made to order. :lol:
Most places I go they do. They come in individual veg bowls. My go to place is The Broad Chare and you can see them doing it. You part cook the veg, chill it to stop it cooking then heat when ready. Been there and done it. A carvery it just sits there in hot water cooking away under the lights loosing all flavour, texture and nutrients. Just pure shite. If people can’t tell the difference then they should keep going to carveries because the extra you pay for a good meal would be a waste of money for them.

Most places I go they do. They come in individual veg bowls. My go to place is The Broad Chare and you can see them doing it. You part cook the veg, chill it to stop it cooking then heat when ready. Been there and done it. A carvery it just sits there in hot water cooking away under the lights loosing all flavour, texture and nutrients. Just pure shite. If people can’t tell the difference then they should keep going to carveries because the extra you pay for a good meal would be a waste of money for them.

I think you need to get your head round the fact that not everyone in the north east is minted. The meal we had yesterday was perfectly fine.

All the people who used to frequent Taybarns now clearly scran at Toby’s :lol:

Seriously though, last few times I’ve been to the Toby it’s been awful

I think you need to get your head round the fact that not everyone in the north east is minted. The meal we had yesterday was perfectly fine.

Aye. £10 for two carveries isn't bad, there's nothing much cheaper for what you get.

All the people who used to frequent Taybarns now clearly scran at Toby’s :lol:

Seriously though, last few times I’ve been to the Toby it’s been awful

Ironically the one at the metro center is great midweek, empty and plenty. I'm not a huge fan but I'd choose it over a big Mac and chips.

Last edited:
I didn’t say it wasn’t, I was just answering to them saying there was no difference in the two. They serve a purpose for people. I wasn’t having a go.

I didn’t say it wasn’t, I was just answering to them saying there was no difference in the two. They serve a purpose for people. I wasn’t having a go.

There's also a lot of the cliches on this thread - meat is shite, stuff is sitting under the lights for ages. I'm sure this might be the case in some places but if the place is rammed the plates of veg are continually coming out and the meat I had yesterday was champion.
Earlier in the day me and the missus had 2 veggie burgers from MacDonalds which cost £7, then we had 2 decent carveries for a tenner, no contest really. I suppose we could have gone for somewhere with waitress service but that would probably have been £30ish?

There's also a lot of the cliches on this thread - meat is shite, stuff is sitting under the lights for ages. I'm sure this might be the case in some places but if the place is rammed the plates of veg are continually coming out and the meat I had yesterday was champion.
Earlier in the day me and the missus had 2 veggie burgers from MacDonalds which cost £7, then we had 2 decent carveries for a tenner, no contest really. I suppose we could have gone for somewhere with waitress service but that would probably have been £30ish?
As said mate they have their place. I was just putting someone right who reckons veg isn’t cooked to order.

Value wise for £5 that’s for nowt and if you’re happy with it that’s all that matters.

Or you could have done the right thing, and cooked a proper family Sunday lunch at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back