Cars v Cyclists - New Fines

When I'm stuck in slow moving traffic in my car the tailbacks are usually caused by the sheer volume of other cars/vans/lorries etc on the road. Cyclists don't ever really hold me up, and if they do it's only for a few seconds at most. Nowt to get too angst-ridden about tbh.

Yeah but there is inevitably a couple of seconds they lose behind the cyclist which they usually try to make up by horsing it past in first gear with their foot to the floor.

Older drivers are usually the worst as it is that long since they had any sort of training or assessment.
I've got loads of categories on my licence too, I had to pass tests for mine though rather than get them through grandfather rights, makes me better than you

In my experience, it's not so much the age of the driver that defines if they're an angry one. I think they're generally just people who perceive cyclists as the person they wish they could be- slimmer, fitter and more socially responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the things I don'r get at all. In stationary traffic, particularly, for example, waiting at traffic lights, it's far safer for cyclists to be at the front of the queue and, also, when waiting at lights, far more efficient, as drivers only have to wait for cyclists going straight on to move away as a group and filter to the left of the road. It's also a lot more healthy for cyclists if they're not stuck behind a vehicle belching out exhaust fumes. Cyclists need to remember to filter through safely, which most do.

All that stopping filtering does is drive cyclists back into cars, increasing congestion.

I will only filter to the front if there is safe space to do so. Many of the roads around here are narrow and it is not safe so I don’t . If the lights are red and I’m 6 cars back, I’m often there thinking that when the lights change I have to wait a few seconds for all the cars in front to start moving. If there is a car behind then they need to get up enough speed and find space on the junction approach ( which is often the narrowest bit) to pass me or face missing the lights. If Im at the front, Im away quicker and cars can pass either on the junction or the exit, which is wider.

I think there is more chance or more cars getting through kights if I am at the front, so it is better for everyone.

I’m disappointed with this thread though. Page 1 we had red light jumping, tax, licence and a boasting post about someone deliberately putting cyclist lives in danger for a laugh, but then page 7 and nobody has mentioned lycra. I thought we were going to get the SMB cycling thread full house in 8 replies.

Why on earth would you wait in traffic? The only reason I cycle to work is because it's quicker than any other mode of transport. I filter to the front of any traffic hold up where it's safe to do so, just being cautious of potential doors opening or vehicles turning left without someone indicating (this happens ALL the time).

With no evidence at all I suspect that the people who get most wound up about cyclists filtering up to the front at lights are the same people who don't understand merge in turn and get ragingly angry because they feel someone else has somehow got an advantage over them in a way that affects their life for the worse.

With no evidence at all I suspect that the people who get most wound up about cyclists filtering up to the front at lights are the same people who don't understand merge in turn and get ragingly angry because they feel someone else has somehow got an advantage over them in a way that affects their life for the worse.
You an condense that into one word. Muppets.

Do cyclist's need to pass numerous stringent tests to be allowed on the road?

What the fuck do the dvla send out to me every year then?
Vehicle excise duty based on the size of your vehicle and emissions. Iirc.

Nah I'd already turned when she hit into me. I didn't turn into her. I had the indicator on signalling where I was going which she has to look out for

They have to look out for indicators aswell.

My issue with cyclists, and I hear stories at work abut this shit all the time is that sometimes they are in the right, and yeah they do get priority and can squeeze up front amongst buses and lorries. But is it worth the risk, the person driving it can't see you sometimes. Is it really that bad starting a few cars back. And if you get hit, you could die, you could be crushed. Doesn't matter whos right then. I just wish more would apply some common sense and courteous behaviour as its their lives and injuries we are saving.

If you had already turned then you hadn't looked properly or you had misjudged her speed prior to making turn. You were turning left across her path, primary responsibility lies with you. Putting on your indicator doesn't give you freedom to not check your mirrors and carry out careless or inconsiderate manoeuvres

If you had already turned then you hadn't looked properly or you had misjudged her speed prior to making turn. You were turning left across her path, primary responsibility lies with you. Putting on your indicator doesn't give you freedom to not check your mirrors and carry out careless or inconsiderate manoeuvres
No. She wasn't paying attention to what was going on around her and didn't slow when I was turning. I saw her in the mirror but she was a significant distance behind me and should've seen my indicator that had been flashing since the previous set of traffic lights. It wasn't careless or inconsiderate, it was part of normal traffic flow.

Back