Cars v Cyclists - New Fines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbf you're not coming across as the kind of chilled laid back bloke who would wait 5 minutes mind. And you should have been looking at the road, not your stopwatch.

I'm fairly chilled out, and was looking at my dash, speed and the road ahead.

Agreed. If it takes 5 minutes to get round a cyclist, there are clearly other factors involved - road width, traffic going in the other direction, other vehicles going in the same direction etc.

There were other factors, but why does a cyclists get to undercut traffic??? Can they not get in queue like the rest of us???

Last edited:
I'm fairly chilled out, and was looking at my dash, speed and the road ahead.

There were other factors, but why does a cyclists get to undercut traffic??? Can they not get in queue like the rest of us???
Get a bike, do some expertise then comeback with the same argument. I guarantee you’ll be leaner, fitter and less wound up about someone getting somewhere quicker than you.

Get a bike, do some expertise then comeback with the same argument. I guarantee you’ll be leaner, fitter and less wound up about someone getting somewhere quicker than you.

I'd love to get out on my bike more, but it's a push when I have the kids to drop off at school and be at work for around 9:30 in Hetton.

What will I learn from going out on bike and having the right to undercut a vehicle???

I give cyclists plenty of space when I passing, and even give room for the twats who jump from road to path when at lights and roundabouts.

Motorbikes can do it too (the technical term is filtering).

I can't recall a motorbike undercutting me on a single lane or at lights etc....

Last edited:
I'd love to get out on my bike more, but it's a push when I have the kids to drop off at school and be at work for around 9:30 in Hetton.

What will I learn from going out on bike and having the right to undercut a vehicle???

I give cyclists plenty of space when I passing, and even give room for the twats who jump from road to path when at lights and roundabouts.
So you wouldn’t do it when it’s safe to do so? Bikes are versatile and can be rode on various surfaces. You’d learn that if you got off your lazy arse and stopped making excuses.

So you wouldn’t do it when it’s safe to do so? Bikes are versatile and can be rode on various surfaces. You’d learn that if you got off your lazy arse and stopped making excuses.

Lazy??? You seem to be good at making assumptions about me.

Drops the kids off at school before 9 and get over to the far end of Hetto in in 30 mins?? Plus finish work at 7/8pm and then have to ride back? Tell that to the family I support.

Drops the kids off at school before 9 and get over to the far end of Hetto in in 30 mins?? Plus finish work at 7/8pm and then have to ride back? Tell that to the family I support.
You’re being sucked in... Fight it, fight it!!!

I can't recall a motorbike undercutting me on a single lane or at lights etc....

Happens regularly around here when traffic is stationary or slow moving.

You know fine well I’m on about cycling and not your family. Get a bike and use it then see if you have the same opinion as now. And that goes to all the others that slag cyclists off.
I haven’t got time now to answer any potential replies as I’m off to the gym on my dinner break.

I suppose it depends on the rider.

I have seen cycslosc who hold back in the traffic, but most fly through and jump ahead...

But they aren't doing owt illegal. When I ride my bike around town I filter around (usually nip up the inside) stationery traffic etc. Why wouldn't I? It's one of the benefits of having a bike in a congested city.

You know fine well I’m on about cycling and not your family. Get a bike and use it then see if you have the same opinion as now. And that goes to all the others that slag cyclists off.
I haven’t got time now to answer any potential replies as I’m off to the gym on my dinner break.
I love how you cite is as being a cure for 'being less wound up'.

I suppose it depends on the rider.

I have seen cycslosc who hold back in the traffic, but most fly through and jump ahead...

Why on earth would you wait in traffic? The only reason I cycle to work is because it's quicker than any other mode of transport. I filter to the front of any traffic hold up where it's safe to do so, just being cautious of potential doors opening or vehicles turning left without someone indicating (this happens ALL the time).

The only reason I'd wait in line is if I knew I couldn't get myself into a position to be seen at the front of the queue. No need to take any daft risks that may put you in harms way.

What's your problem with it?

Why on earth would you wait in traffic? The only reason I cycle to work is because it's quicker than any other mode of transport. I filter to the front of any traffic hold up where it's safe to do so, just being cautious of potential doors opening or vehicles turning left without someone indicating (this happens ALL the time).

The only reason I'd wait in line is if I knew I couldn't get myself into a position to be seen at the front of the queue. No need to take any daft risks that may put you in harms way.

What's your problem with it?

This is one of the things I don'r get at all. In stationary traffic, particularly, for example, waiting at traffic lights, it's far safer for cyclists to be at the front of the queue and, also, when waiting at lights, far more efficient, as drivers only have to wait for cyclists going straight on to move away as a group and filter to the left of the road. It's also a lot more healthy for cyclists if they're not stuck behind a vehicle belching out exhaust fumes. Cyclists need to remember to filter through safely, which most do.

All that stopping filtering does is drive cyclists back into cars, increasing congestion.

There are already offences which cover these though, careless or inconsiderate for passing too close, going into an advanced stop box for a driver is contravening a red ATS and surely giving cyclists priorty when you are turning across their path is just giving way to other road traffic.

They should be writing legislation about tax discs on bikes and cyclists having licenses and insurance instead

I suppose drivers might not be aware that doing these things would constitute an offence under existing legislation, hopefully it'll become more widely known that it is a shit thing to do if there's a specific bit of legislation covering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back