Cars v Cyclists - New Fines

The culture change in the UK from driving to cycling is underway. We're still a long way from the Danish and Dutch models mind.
Simply can't have more vehicles year on year with a shite infrastructure that costs billions to maintain / improve. Totally unsustainable...

The culture change in the UK from driving to cycling is underway. We're still a long way from the Danish and Dutch models mind.
Simply can't have more vehicles year on year with a shite infrastructure that costs billions to maintain / improve. Totally unsustainable...

It's only going to grow. Shame things have stalled (arguably gone backwards) in London. You need that driver of change. All hope swings to Manchester while Khan remains in charge.

It's only going to grow. Shame things have stalled (arguably gone backwards) in London. You need that driver of change. All hope swings to Manchester while Khan remains in charge.
I think London is much more cyclist friendly than anywhere else in the UK I've cycled.

I'm not a massive cyclist but my impression is that London, Cambridge and Oxford are by far the most cyclist friendly cities. Obviously, some others have geographical issues (i.e. they're bloody hilly!).
London has bus and cycle lanes all over plus forward stop boxes and they have Boris bikes.

It's an easy city to ride in. Very few 60moh roads too.

Park Lane is the worst place to ride for me. That's balanced against the reward of riding down the mall which is epic

London has bus and cycle lanes all over plus forward stop boxes and they have Boris bikes.

It's an easy city to ride in. Very few 60moh roads too.

Park Lane is the worst place to ride for me. That's balanced against the reward of riding down the mall which is epic

Agreed. London also has a lot of parkland and green space relative to a lot of other cities in the UK.

I think electric bikes are going to make a difference too, they seem to have dropped in price and a few of the bike shops in my local town have them in the window. A lot of people travel more than 10 miles to work and my furthest used to be 35-40. That is too far to consider cycling. But, like many the delays were usually in the last 3 miles as I got to the town where I worked. With at least one model of car coming with a built-in bike rack, I wonder if we will start to see a lot more out of town parking cheap or free, then people who are not confident about their fitness or don’t want to turn up at work tired and sweating just jump on their electric bike and fly the last 3 miles on a dedicated track.

I think London is much more cyclist friendly than anywhere else in the UK I've cycled.

All progress on segregated routes has fallen on its arse since Khan came in. Norman is hopeless as well. As much as I loathe Johnson he was fantastic for cycling in the city. We're going nowhere under the current regime, it's all chat and no action.

London is okay to cycle but there's a reason it's only 3% of trips or whatever. It's still minging.

I often see them two abreast on country lanes, that is partially understandable, but when they are like that on busy roads, just a pure lack of respect for other road users.

Our maybe they don't want daft pricks overtaking them without leaving enough of a gap because of oncoming traffic

Back