Canny cops - bbc3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s grim round Horden and has got worse since the austerity cuts tbf

However there’s generations of people who don’t know what work looks like for whatever reason.
Exactly mate. Still got people never worked since the pits shut with their kids and grand kids that haven’t worked either.

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of Universal Credit and the whole benefits issue, it disheartened me that in this country some people want to live a life without ever working.

The self respect of earning a wedge. Being able to afford a nice holiday, or a decent car, being able to do up the home, and generally have a better life just by spending your week getting paid to do something. I find it amazing that some people don't want to aspire to that.

Even when I had shite jobs on the factory shop floor, I still enjoyed being among work mates and the sense at the end of the shift of getting a fair day's pay for a fair day's graft.

I wish I could put across to career unemployed people just how much better a working life is, and I have a genuine feeling of sadness that there's folk who will never have a remotely decent standard of living just by choosing not to work.

This programme pretty much has brought it home to me.

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of Universal Credit and the whole benefits issue, it disheartened me that in this country some people want to live a life without ever working.

The self respect of earning a wedge. Being able to afford a nice holiday, or a decent car, being able to do up the home, and generally have a better life just by spending your week getting paid to do something. I find it amazing that some people don't want to aspire to that.

Even when I had shite jobs on the factory shop floor, I still enjoyed being among work mates and the sense at the end of the shift of getting a fair day's pay for a fair day's graft.

I wish I could put across to career unemployed people just how much better a working life is, and I have a genuine feeling of sadness that there's folk who will never have a remotely decent standard of living just by choosing not to work.

This programme pretty much has brought it home to me.
Aye that’s what I thought mate. Some of them looked like they came from decent working parents as well.

There's mixed opinions on the Tories and the mines etc but it decimated these smaller areas
Even if they lost money they got a whole micro economy rolling along
It just leaves you wondering what to think
You want to bray them all and lock them up for good then you think what chance have they had?

Reactions: dom
There's mixed opinions on the Tories and the mines etc but it decimated these smaller areas
You want to bray them all and lock them up for good then you think what chance have they had?
Politics has nothing to do with it. These people are f***ing vermin man. Shauna thought thatcher was prime minister

Politics has nothing to do with it. These people are f***ing vermin man. Shauna thought thatcher was prime minister
You might be right
She's just a thick scroat but there's a point where people can be helped before they go down a one way street . A few jobs would be canny
Pitmen weren't academic
I tread a fine line at school leaving age

Found it a tough watch knowing its where I was brought up and spent the first 20 years of my life at. The worrying thing is its spreading slowly but surely from the numbered streets into other areas of horden. Will always be a Horden lad and enjoy the drinking there every now and again but pleased I'm not living there now

Last edited:
What's really frustrating, too, is that you can see in Shauna there's a really good person and possible role model underneath all the bluster and apathy. She knows it, too.

Problem with Horden is the small village mentality.

When I worked there the kids couldn’t believe I drove from Newcastle everyday.

It could have been another country. The kids who do well at school are away like a shot.

I’ve plenty of time for the town but I’ve seen some grim sights down there.

You might be right
She's just a thick scroat but there's a point where people can be helped before they go down a one way street . A few jobs would be canny
Pitmen weren't academic
I tread a fine line at school leaving age

It would be nice if you were right about all people but sadly its a bit of a 'everyone has a quality' way of looking at it and a little naive. These people have already set their stall out long before they are the age to work. And regardless of age some people are beyond helping

What's really frustrating, too, is that you can see in Shauna there's a really good person and possible role model underneath all the bluster and apathy. She knows it, too.

The problem with the programme was she was portrayed as a lovable funny rogue.

Don’t give a fuck if this sounds boring, but there is fuck all lovable about her stealing from others and selling drugs, she was constantly at the cop station meaning that someone somewhere had suffered becuase of her.

I lived in Horden for 32 years of my life and it was a great place to live, people like her have made it a lot lot worse.

Last edited:
I wondering where you think theres a good person at tbh? Thief, drug dealer, any amount of arrests, leading young impressionable lads astray. The list goes on ffs
She will play the system all get life and probably play it very well ,

The problem with the programme was she was portrayed as a lovable funny rogue.

Don’t give a fuck if this sounds boring, but there is fuck all lovable about her stealing from others and selling drugs, she was constantly at the cop station meaning that someone somewhere had suffered becuase of her.

I lived in Horden for 32 years of my life and it was a great place to live, people like her have made it a lot lot worse.
This , even the coppers laughed about it , they are not loveable rogues , they are thieves and criminals who will probably never do a day's work , they care about nobody apart from themselves , a total waste of time and resources

Last edited:
It would be nice if you were right about all people but sadly its a bit of a 'everyone has a quality' way of looking at it and a little naive. These people have already set their stall out long before they are the age to work. And regardless of age some people are beyond helping
And they were still kids when they set their stall out .If it's just odds there'd be similar numbers everywhere

Maybe i
She will play the system all get life and probably play it very well ,

This , even the coppers laughed about it , they are not loveable rogues , they are thieves and criminals who will probably never do a day's work , they care about nobody apart from themselves , a total waste of time and resources
Maybe it's helps the cops get through the day and contain things but I didn't share their view of these people one bit

Last edited:
Exactly mate. Still got people never worked since the pits shut with their kids and grand kids that haven’t worked either.

To be honest if that’s the case then they need to take a long hard look at themselves before they blame anyone else. Did the kids stick in at school or spend time messing around or playing truant? Even in Horden or Easington or the pleasant grounds of Peterlee you can get a job if you get off your arse and are prepared to work.

Problem with Horden is the small village mentality.

When I worked there the kids couldn’t believe I drove from Newcastle everyday.

It could have been another country. The kids who do well at school are away like a shot.

I’ve plenty of time for the town but I’ve seen some grim sights down there.

My neighbour couldn’t believe my daughter got on a bus to Newcastle every day to go to College. They act like they know it all but many of them have never been more than a couple of miles away from their own back doors and think they are a legend in their own life times. It is sad and a waste of life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back