Can holidays be too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kept the thread vague deliberately.

As you've asked we were near Tharros on the west coast of Sardinia.

We'd gone down to see an archaeological dig where they've discovered incredible statues from 1000's of years ago.

It's a region that's barely changed.
That (for me) would be far better than a package holiday. Realise that people have different tastes. I would get bored of a "beach holiday" after about an hour.

Was just down the road in Umag a fortnight back - I love croatia
We're sat in Umag at the moment. We decided to take a look after driving up to the hilltop village of Groznjan.
Umag has a very different feel to Rovinj but it's very pleasant. Groznjan was a dissapointment. Our hire car was the only car with Croatian plates. It's full of small shops and galleries after my Kuna.
I'm like you though Love Croatia

We're sat in Umag at the moment. We decided to take a look after driving up to the hilltop village of Groznjan.
Umag has a very different feel to Rovinj but it's very pleasant. Groznjan was a dissapointment. Our hire car was the only car with Croatian plates. It's full of small shops and galleries after my Kuna.
I'm like you though Love Croatia

Some lovely restaurants right on the front if you wander up the back lanes from the church tower. We had a villa where the ATP Tennis stadium is - lovely place for the kids

That (for me) would be far better than a package holiday. Realise that people have different tastes. I would get bored of a "beach holiday" after about an hour.
We've done 2000 miles so far and been all over Corsica then Sardinia. We've driven up into the mountains and out round the islands on the boat ...... one of the best things was chancing on a little farmhouse kitchen that catered for farmers, shepherds and the like.

No menu or choice but we ate like kings, they gave us all kinds of liqueurs then asked for 14 euros. We thought that was each, which would've been cheap, but it was for both of us!

Mrs Reiver hid another 20 euros, under our plate, before we left so's not to offend her to her face.

We've done 2000 miles so far and been all over Corsica then Sardinia. We've driven up into the mountains and out round the islands on the boat ...... one of the best things was chancing on a little farmhouse kitchen that catered for farmers, shepherds and the like.

No menu or choice but we ate like kings, they gave us all kinds of liqueurs then asked for 14 euros. We thought that was each, which would've been cheap, but it was for both of us!

Mrs Reiver hid another 20 euros, under our plate, before we left so's not to offend her to her face.
I remember after the 92 cup final on the way back I had a stop over in colombo. I needed a shave and went to this local barber shop.
Lad did a fantastic job, spent nearly an hour and then asked for a paltry amount. I gave him 10 USD . He thought he had won the lottery.
The rest of the place was a pile of guano mind.

Our next holiday will be for four weeks. My wife retires at the end of March so we are off to visit Australia, but it's really five short holidays wrapped up into one. Queensland for the Barrier Reef and rainforest, then Ayres Rock, Easter in Melbourne, then touring in a camper Van up to Sydney where we will relax for five days before flying home.

Now that will fill the four weeks, but if you put me on a beach for more than five days I would go mad!

Anymore than 3 days away is to long for me .Miss home comforts,routine ,English beer and most of all home cooked food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back