Can holidays be too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would travel the small Greek islands for ever and a day, all things being equal.
Unfortunately they're not, most especially the weather.
Too damned hot mid summer, then shite after October when most of the local bar owners shut up shop, many of them heading to London for the Winter, strangely enough.
For that reason I always limited my Greek hols to late Spring or early Autumn.

Fred, the Greeks are so friendly, they are laid back and don't do hassle, they are generous too, often giving drinks or food for free, and their food is awesome.
Greece is the word.

Yeah, I don't see why I don't just go there & check it out. Probably the fact that I'm a grumpy old bollocks.

I went there for the first time this year to Zante. It was lovely! The locals are so laid back and friendly and we had a really nice time. I think I ate my body weight in feta and olives though :oops:

The workmate I mentioned earlier in the thread, the one I beat up, said it was only ok. I just don't know what to think. I'm hugely confused.

Last edited:
Fred, the Greeks are so friendly, they are laid back and don't do hassle, they are generous too, often giving drinks or food for free, and their food is awesome.
Greece is the word.
Got to agree,been to loads of greek islands and there is none I wouldn't go back to,I like the simplicity of the place and friendliness of the locals.

I'm 57 and can honestly say I've never been happy for a holiday to end. I'm currently sat on the terrace of an apartment in Rovinj, Croatia enjoying a lunch of ham, blue cheese, tomatoes and olives, washed down by a glass of local white wine. Cheap as chips! I could quite happily spend the rest of my days here.
It's even better than Coxhoe!

We are going to find out next year if a holiday is too long!

The plan is to ask for a sabbatical (though we've already made our mind up to go even if I don't have it granted) and spend a few months driving in Europe before heading off to Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia & New Zealand. We come back for a couple of weeks before heading for the States

Back late 2018/early 2019 depending on how the mood takes us. Of course we may find somewhere we really love and try not to come back at all!!

Sardinia is on my radar partly because of this thread, and you are too easy to bait...

So I'm wrong for posting a thread but you're fine 'baiting' someone on a forum ..... sad as fuck tbh.

Nice Rev. Costa Smeralda and Blue turtle bay, never get sick of that.We usally stay over on the west coast near Castelsardo, could easily live there, enjoy it mate.

We've just been down there today from Palau, sea like glass ...... absolutely flew.

We didn't go into the port cos we're unsociable bigger but found a lovely little beach nearby and took the picnic in on the 'tender'

Last edited:
I'm 57 and can honestly say I've never been happy for a holiday to end. I'm currently sat on the terrace of an apartment in Rovinj, Croatia enjoying a lunch of ham, blue cheese, tomatoes and olives, washed down by a glass of local white wine. Cheap as chips! I could quite happily spend the rest of my days here.
It's even better than Coxhoe!

Was just down the road in Umag a fortnight back - I love croatia

So I'm wrong for posting a thread but you're fine 'baiting' someone on a forum ..... sad as fuck tbh

you're on holiday in Sardina man and reacting to bait on here and you say I'm sad, get some perspective man you SMB addicted tool..

you're on holiday in Sardina man and reacting to bait on here and you say I'm sad, get some perspective man you SMB addicted tool..

I'm not well up on forum etiquette tbh, I just don't have any interest in games and wumming etc.

You might see what you post as 'bait' but, to someone like me, it just looks like boring shite.

You've posted 3 times without making any contribution .... if that's not sad then I don't know what is.

So I'm wrong for posting a thread but you're fine 'baiting' someone on a forum ..... sad as fuck tbh.

We've just been down there today from Palau, sea like glass ...... absolutely flew.

We didn't go into the port cos we're unsociable bigger but found a lovely little beach nearby and took the picnic in on the 'tender'
Are you there on the boss's boat or something more modest ?

Are you there on the boss's boat or something more modest ?

Nah it's our own mate, just a 5 metre RIB but it's got a 60hp Yamaha so it really flies.

We've towed it from Surrey, through the middle of Paris and all over Corsica & Sardinia for the last month.

The boss is at 'our place' but we called today and he said not to worry about rushing back so we might have another week.

Nah it's our own mate, just a 5 metre RIB but it's got a 60hp Yamaha so it really flies.

We've towed it from Surrey, through the middle of Paris and all over Corsica & Sardinia for the last month.

The boss is at 'our place' but we called today and he said not to worry about rushing back so we might have another week.
Owt on water does me, from a surfboard to a kayak to a RIB to a yacht. Love owt like that, me.

Owt on water does me, from a surfboard to a kayak to a RIB to a yacht. Love owt like that, me.
And yet like a grand prize winner on 'Bullseye' you live about as far away from the coast as it's possible to be in England.

Hope they have some nice paddle boat ponds round yours!

We've been away for about 3 weeks so far and won't be home 'til next month sometime.

The longer we're away the more difficult it will be to go back .... but your brain starts doing strange things when each new day has endless possibilities.

The locals have very simple lives and little money but seem infinitely more content than people chasing rainbows at home.

We were in the wilds yesterday and somehow got talking to a shepherd riding a magnificent white stallion to round up the sheep. As soon as my limited grasp of his language was exhausted he whished us well, turned his horse and galloped off across the fields.

Perhaps it's better to go on a 2 week package to a sunny place based on the price of the lager.

I've just come back from 3 and a half weeks and I am absolutely fucked like

Enjoyable but I am knackered

I'm off on hols soon. Four days at Haggerston castle. About an hour's drive, fish lot from peters in Berwick, heating on full blast, and lieing in till 11am

A bracing walk with the Mrs and dog on cocklawburn beach, a trip to marks and sparks for some grub, back to the van to laze around, reading and watching dvds.

Heaven
Try Coldingham Loch just over the border. It has all of the above with the added bonus of no kids running around and no mobile phone signal.

I've just come back from 3 and a half weeks and I am absolutely fucked like

Enjoyable but I am knackered

That's the problem isn't it :lol:

We've had more to drink than usual then walked & swam for miles plus taken the boat out on seas that were just a bit too choppy.

We have mozzie bites, cuts on our feet, various bruises and sun/wind burn!

Managed to avoid wasps & jellyfish but stood on a black snake in bare feet :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back