Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

Just out of interest, how many beds is the norm for an allotment?

Depends on the size of the plot really.

But I would go for at least 6.

Using a 5 plot rotation for the regular veg - and one for everything else.

So one year go for:-

Plot #1 - Potatoes (after manure has been added over the winter as the spuds like a more acid soil)
Plot #2 - Legumes
Plot #3 - Brassicas
Plot #4 - Roots
Plot#5 - Alliums
Plot #6 - everything else.

Rotate after each season in the order I have set out.
Always check the soil ph after the potatoes. Use lime to bring the ph back to neutral.

The simplest rule is not to grow the same thing in the same place year after year.

Hope this helps.

If you want fruit bushes like currants or gooseberries, consider making a hedge out of them....in leaf they're quite dense and a good windbreak.

My tunnel has mesh doors either end... Scaffolding net...

You could put a couple of fruit rows in and things like asparagus where they are left in the same place.
I might try and get another plot next year and just have it devoted to fruit
Aye, I'm putting the asparagus next to the rhubarb. Was going to rUn my fruit bushes along the fence with patio dwarf fruit trees next to the shed.

Plot #1 - Potatoes (after manure has been added over the winter as the spuds like a more acid soil)
Plot #2 - Legumes
Plot #3 - Brassicas
Plot #4 - Roots
Plot#5 - Alliums

Always check the soil ph after the potatoes. Use lime to bring the ph back to neutral.

The simplest rule is not to grow the same thing in the same place year after year.

Hope this helps.

Plot #2 - Legumes
Plot #3 - Brassicas
Plot #4 - Roots
Plot#5 - Alliums

Hope this helps.
I had planned on 4 beds and 4 raised beds but we shall see. Cheers

I have dug over 4 beds. Is there anything I can add to the soil this time of year to improve it?
The beds are about 4ft wide by 10ft long.

I have dug over 4 beds. Is there anything I can add to the soil this time of year to improve it?
The beds are about 4ft wide by 10ft long.

First, get yourself a PH testing kit, or even better a PH tester. I got one off the internet, and it didn't cost much. One of these will keep you right for years ahead.

So if you go back to my post #370 - then go for those beds as I numbered.

Plot #1 -Where you are going to grow your potatoes, then dig in plenty of horse manure and leave it until planting time next spring. The spuds like a slightly acid soil around 5.5 PH, and the manure will give you this, and will improve the soil.
Plots #2 & #3 -The other plots need to be tested for PH level too. Your brassica's need a neutral to alkaline soil, as do legumes.
So if the soil in these is too acid, then add garden lime to bring the PH level up to around 6 to 7 PH. By the way, don't put manure and lime in the SAME ground together at the same time.
Plot #4 -Alliums also do well in soil of 6 to 7.

First, get yourself a PH testing kit, or even better a PH tester. I got one off the internet, and it didn't cost much. One of these will keep you right for years ahead.

So if you go back to my post #370 - then go for those beds as I numbered.

Plot #1 -Where you are going to grow your potatoes, then dig in plenty of horse manure and leave it until planting time next spring. The spuds like a slightly acid soil around 5.5 PH, and the manure will give you this, and will improve the soil.
Plots #2 & #3 -The other plots need to be tested for PH level too. Your brassica's need a neutral to alkaline soil, as do legumes.
So if the soil in these is too acid, then add garden lime to bring the PH level up to around 6 to 7 PH. By the way, don't put manure and lime in the SAME ground together at the same time.
Plot #4 -Alliums also do well in soil of 6 to 7.
Yeah, I am going to do that but this time of year manure is hard to come by I believe. Need to improve the soil as hasn't been touched for o er a year and the nutrients will be low. Don't fancy using g grow more or alike

Yeah, I am going to do that but this time of year manure is hard to come by I believe. Need to improve the soil as hasn't been touched for o er a year and the nutrients will be low. Don't fancy using g grow more or alike

Go to any riding stables marra.
I usually go up to the ones at Penshaw (opposite the Grey Horse pub) - There's plenty of the stuff to go at there.

yes. all stables will thank you for taking it away.
Make sure you let it rot a little first though before digging it in, if it's fresh. See if they have any that's been rotting for a while, if not you might be better off seeing if you can buy a couple of bags of rotted manure but start your own heap off with the fresh stuff, turning it regularly to let the air get to it.

Can I join? I'm about to retire and have been hit by the gardening bug. I only have a few tomatoes going but I'm determined to grow all sorts of stuff. I have a minor problem in that I don't have a garden but I do have a big back yard with a polycarbonate roof so it's like a big greenhouse and a small front plot out the front so it's planters and pots for me.

Back