Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

I’ve gone for raised beds, 10 x 4 with a 2 foot path in between each. That way, I can easily reach every part of the bed without over leaning or walking on the beds.

If you go for ground level beds, they can be any size as long as you leave good paths between the rows of plants.
Changed my mind and layout of the plot a thousand times in my head. All new to me haha. I've 7x4 raised beds at home. Maybe I'll do both on the plot. How many beds do you have. My plot is 92'x24'

Last edited:
I have raised beds, 8ft X 4ft with wide gravel paths between for a wheelbarrow.,. Raised beds were here when we bought the place, I just keep at them. Handy for crop rotation.

Got some tomatoes in the tunnel now, couple of pumpkins to grow on the muck-heap, bit of salad and the currants are forming nicely

Not far from the Vale of Evesham which is a pretty good fruit & veg growing area. We are usually 2-3 weeks ahead of home for daffs, blossom etc on average.
For some reason I have peas nearly 6 foot high. Started them inside till about 6” then planted after the beast from the east cleared. Shot away!! Do you know if this is a good or bad thing?

That would be very kind mate. Looked at some of the ploys around mine and they all seem quite cramped.
Looking forward to getting stuck into it though.
Are you doing raised bed with standard size sleepers? If so, 8'x4'8" would be the best size, would only involve one cut of the sleepers to make one bed.

I did I put some in containers. It’s the same every year I plant everything and think that’s enough then I will spend the next week cramming stuff in. Already lost loads of garlic, but apparently it’s the norm?
My garlic bulbs are tiny. I put them in in September in pots and they shot away, but just look like spring onions.

Back