Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

Can I join? I'm about to retire and have been hit by the gardening bug. I only have a few tomatoes going but I'm determined to grow all sorts of stuff. I have a minor problem in that I don't have a garden but I do have a big back yard with a polycarbonate roof so it's like a big greenhouse and a small front plot out the front so it's planters and pots for me.
You can grow all sorts in planters and containers.

Something like courgettes would be fairly easy, tomatoes, peppers, chillis etc all grow well in pots. I have swiss chard and spinach growing in troughs, just pick the leaves as and when you need them, and any salad crops will take quickly, mebbes buy them in strips ready to plant out to speed things up a bit.

You can grow all sorts in planters and containers.

Something like courgettes would be fairly easy, tomatoes, peppers, chillis etc all grow well in pots. I have swiss chard and spinach growing in troughs, just pick the leaves as and when you need them, and any salad crops will take quickly, mebbes buy them in strips ready to plant out to speed things up a bit.

Cheers Flicky. I’ve ordered some pots so will crack on.

Thompson and morgan have an offer on at the minute, 12 tomato plants for 1p, worth a try for that price as I only have a couple in.

As an aside, anyone recommend anywhere to order plug plants, I am after courgette and cucumbers as the ones i was lovingly raising indoors before planting out have all died, I blame the pesky kids

Cheers Flicky. I’ve ordered some pots so will crack on.

You could also start off some lettuces as they grow quickly and will do well in a planter. If you go for a salad bowl type, you can just pick the leaves as you need them. That means you can start your eating when the plant is still young, providing you leave enough of it to keep growing.

Now that the strawberry season is all but coming to an end (three and a half kilos in the freezer) and the garden birds are having the rest of them it is time to get stuck in with the red currants. Looks like a good one for them as well. Picked just over a kilo yesterday and will pick some more there this afternoon. Can taste the lovely jam already. :)

Looks like a good year for black currants, gooseberries and the ol' fruit trees as well.

Now that the strawberry season is all but coming to an end (three and a half kilos in the freezer) and the garden birds are having the rest of them it is time to get stuck in with the red currants. Looks like a good one for them as well. Picked just over a kilo yesterday and will pick some more there this afternoon. Can taste the lovely jam already. :)

Looks like a good year for black currants, gooseberries and the ol' fruit trees as well.

Logon or register to see this image
Wine going on tomorrow night.

Back