Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Anyone worried every single thing will just curl up and die these next two days?

I've been getting loads of water into the ground today, to try to help.

Anyone worried every single thing will just curl up and die these next two days?

I don’t normally like using a sprinkler on my veg, because it is inefficient use of water. But decided everything really needs a good soaking tonight.

Lost one pickling cucumber plant but that’s it. Everything else has held up.

Taties were losing their foliage anyway this has just helped things along

Pulled the last of my new potatoes and cauliflowers, any ideas what I can plant out now. Seems a shame to have a fair bit of space spare.

Question for the experts, my chillies seem to have arrived, either that or I've just noticed them. They are black in colour, anything to worry about? All the herbs came through, loving it just a bit worried about those chillies.

Question for the experts, my chillies seem to have arrived, either that or I've just noticed them. They are black in colour, anything to worry about? All the herbs came through, loving it just a bit worried about those chillies.
Just part of the ripening marra. All to do with the sugars in the chilli pod itself.
It will go red.

Toms are coming through at last.
Cut off loads of leaves and thinned then right down. Good feed, and hopefully they'll fly.

Chilies lol shit again. Just didn't grow upwards at all. Again. Will give up on them this year and try another variety next year.

Lettuce are doing OK. 3 small plants growing and 3 seedlings to come.

Spring onions not great.
Carrots just never appeared.
Peas are a write off. Current theory is that birds are eating them.
Strawberry plants are growing. Trying to send runners constantly, so a weekly prune to stop that. No fruit since May though. Hoping for a second crop at the end of summer.

Blueberry tree and raspberry Bush are growing. Next year for those though.
Need to learn how to prune raspberry to get a good bushy plant, and how to take cuttings as I want 3 or 4 more plants

Last edited:
Planted everything too late. Again. Took forever for what I did plant to come up. Half me peas didn't bother. No idea what's going on with the potato me and the boy planted. It's like a tree. And loads of plants that usually flower just haven't bothered this year.

Green fingers.

Planted everything too late. Again. Took forever for what I did plant to come up. Half me peas didn't bother. No idea what's going on with the potato me and the boy planted. It's like a tree. And loads of plants that usually flower just haven't bothered this year.

Green fingers.
It’s been a bit of an oddball year this year to be fair like with the drought and the heatwave.

We’ve been dotting backwards & forwards to France a lot this year to make up for the previous two years so didn’t really set a lot off. Apples are looking good out here this year, pears ok back home but any mainstream crops we just didn’t bother with.

None veg related post here but funnily enough I was talking about JaneyP today, (the op for those that might not know her), really chuffed to see her thread still going, kudos to all of you involved, used to love having veg crack with her (hence the reason she started this thread)….she’s a big miss to the board imo, if she’s lurking, JaneyP please come back!

Last edited:
None veg related post here but funnily enough I was talking about JaneyP today, (the op for those that might not know her), really chuffed to see her thread still going, used to love having veg crack with her (hence the reason she started this thread)….she’s a big miss to the board imo, if she’s lurking, JaneyP please come back!
Yep, just went awol without any warning.

Politics forum apparently….had enough of getting grief…a real shame as she was/is a very intelligent poster with some great views and was able to have excellent debates. Funny as well.
It's a pity like, I still remember getting my only 'like' from her about 6 year ago when I realised don't compare the blokes game to the women's game and just watch it for what it is during some England lasses WC game😊 Politics forum went mental over Brexit.... and just carried on.

Back