Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

Update from the allotment.
Tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers & chilli's all doing well. Nothing ripe yet, only a matter of days though hopefully.
1st potatoes being eaten now, and 2nds and main crop doing well.
Carrots in the tubs coming on nice, already had early sowings.
Broad beans have been excellent, 2nd sowing ready soon.
Peas - again, very good, 2nd & 3rd sowings coming along nicely.
Runner beans, in flower, and some have been pollinated, maybe another 3 weeks until a picking.
Parsnips doing OK.
Beetroot - another week or so until 1st picking.
Onions, doing very well - swelling nicely, should be on course to pick them in August when the leaves turn brown.
Garlic - already lifted, and drying off ready to plait.
Leeks - went into the ground early June, and have picked up canny.
Sweet corn, doing nicely, hopefully the warm sunny weather will encourage growth.
Dwarf string beans - doing OK. At least 4 weeks till I get a picking.
Sprouts doing well, so are the Nero kale.
Curly and red kale going well too.
Purple sprouting broccoli went into the ground the other week, and have picked up.
Various cabbages are all doing well - the winter savoy cabbages are still in the seedling stage, so another couple of weeks before they can be planted in their final positions.

So all is good so far. Much watering to do though. Just going along there now.

Same here, wasn’t expecting much being outdoors but they’re fruiting like crazy and already had a few ripening. Tumbling toms in baskets particularly have gone a bit mental, wasn’t expecting so much from them.
My outdoor tomatoes are looking very poor. I think having them in full sun, it is just too hot and dry at the minute.

My outdoor tomatoes are looking very poor. I think having them in full sun, it is just too hot and dry at the minute.
Mine are in full Sun from sunrise to sunset mate, just been giving them a proper soaking every night and feeding once a week.

Mine are in full Sun from sunrise to sunset mate, just been giving them a proper soaking every night and feeding once a week.
Should I be watering them a lot?
They're under a thick mulch, so I thought it would be enough, but they've basically stagnated.

Should I be watering them a lot?
They're under a thick mulch, so I thought it would be enough, but they've basically stagnated.
No idea what should be done tbh, just know that my compost is dry is sticks every evening so giving them a proper soak each evening and seems to be working mate.

Peas have done really well.
Second load of Radishes nearly done. Might do another they've been that good.
Blackberries nearly here I think.
Absolutely nowt from the black current so far. Might end up being next summer at this rate

Found loads of odd looking blackberries in the garden. Google lens reckons they are either tayberries or Marion berries. Just ate one out of curiosity are they edible and are they chock full of maggots? Tasted nice anyway.

Any idea what they are likely to be?

Berries look like long blackberries and there are no thorns or the stalks/runners

Found loads of odd looking blackberries in the garden. Google lens reckons they are either tayberries or Marion berries. Just ate one out of curiosity are they edible and are they chock full of maggots? Tasted nice anyway.

Any idea what they are likely to be?

Berries look like long blackberries and there are no thorns or the stalks/runners
Loganberries?

Got my first two tomatoes today. Two golden cherries.

My daughter planted the seeds and I did the rest, so we are having one each with tea!

Got some beans and courgette with tea last night too, and some turnip earlier in the week. All coming together nicely
@alexander, You asked me to keep you posted about the garlic I transplanted. It died! I didn't have much hope and it was stuff going for the bin. Apparently slugs don't like the smell so it might have helped protect my parsnips as they were growing.

Last edited:
Loganberries?
Could be if they go black? I think going off Google images they are Marion berries? Tasted nice tbf and me and the bairn are still alive.

Back