Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Last year I covered in shredded leaves, then put cardboard over. A lot of it was gone by the time I started this year.

Planted 4 canes in spring, they were just coming alive.

Then I sprayed roundup over the other side of the fence where grasses and weeds were growing out of control behind the new shrubs.
Didn't think for a second about the canes on the other side of the fence :( Lost all bar one. Will let that grown, and take cuttings at a future date for next year I suppose. I'm big on that, taking cuttings. Got 25 portuese laurel plants and 8 rose cuttings planted. Fingers crossed!
Got two big chicken wire baskets full of leaves, to get leaf mulch. Seem to be taking forever to break down, but that's ok. I can wait.

It was clay soil, so won't be terrible in terms of being bereft of any nutrients.
Then 4" of compost
And now 4" of woodchip.

So it'll be coming to life over the next year or so.

Either way, you can't really plant direct when the soil is 4-6" underneath the mulch. I don't think much will germinate and do well if I sow it in woodchip.
If anyone wants to do the woodchip thing they're better off growing in pots first

Last year I covered in shredded leaves, then put cardboard over. A lot of it was gone by the time I started this year.

Planted 4 canes in spring, they were just coming alive.

Then I sprayed roundup over the other side of the fence where grasses and weeds were growing out of control behind the new shrubs.
Didn't think for a second about the canes on the other side of the fence :( Lost all bar one. Will let that grown, and take cuttings at a future date for next year I suppose. I'm big on that, taking cuttings. Got 25 portuese laurel plants and 8 rose cuttings planted. Fingers crossed!
If you're going to do the back to Eden thing with veggies, why are you using round up marra?

If you're going to do the back to Eden thing with veggies, why are you using round up marra?
Wasn't in my garden. Was the public land on the other side of my fence that was overgrown and growing into my land.

I'm phasing out my weedkiller use though. That area is now covered in 6" of woodchip to prevent weeds, and I've planted 60 laurel trees.

Harvesting loads of broccoli, green beans and pickling cucumbers at the moment.

Onions looking great. Potato foliage starting to die off.

Tomatoes aren’t setting fruit for some reason. Or at least my main, gardener’s delight plants. Have some dwarf varieties that are.

Got 5 maize plants that are going great guns as well.

Strawberries are being problematic. Setting very sad, yellow looking fruit that doesn’t mature. Any ideas?

Wasn't in my garden. Was the public land on the other side of my fence that was overgrown and growing into my land.

I'm phasing out my weedkiller use though. That area is now covered in 6" of woodchip to prevent weeds, and I've planted 60 laurel trees.
Sounds like you've got an up hill battle there mate. My cap is well and truly doffed marra.
Good luck, and those Laurel will look great when they get settled in.
Look forward to the pics buddy.👍👍👍
Harvesting loads of broccoli, green beans and pickling cucumbers at the moment.

Onions looking great. Potato foliage starting to die off.

Tomatoes aren’t setting fruit for some reason. Or at least my main, gardener’s delight plants. Have some dwarf varieties that are.

Got 5 maize plants that are going great guns as well.

Strawberries are being problematic. Setting very sad, yellow looking fruit that doesn’t mature. Any ideas?
Your cues are early marra👍 Brilliant.
Tomatoes not setting fruit? Try a small paintbrush on the stamen of the flowers and just go from flower to flower to polinate them. My Father in Laws not good for much, but gave me that tip and it works really well.👍
Don't do Strawbs so can't help there mate.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got an up hill battle there mate. My cap is well and truly doffed marra.
Good luck, and those Laurel will look great when they get settled in.
Look forward to the pics buddy.👍👍👍

You cues are early marra👍
Tomatoes not setting fruit? Try a small paintbrush on the stamen of the flowers and just go from flower to flower to polinate them. My Father in Laws not good for much, but gave me that tip and it works really well.👍
Don't do Strawbs so can't help there mate.

They’re a small pickling variety.

I have a few plants in pots that have produced much earlier than the ones in the ground mind so could be restricting the roots that’s done it. Either way, they look good!

So are mine, but only just starting to fruit.
You're doing something right mate👍

Need to perfect the strawbs.

If nothing else they’ve produced loads of new plants asexually so I’ll have plenty next year! The few fruits I’ve had have been delicious as well.
Also forgot I’ve got loads of pepper plants on the go!

Last edited:
My strawberries are doing ok considering they only went in 2 months back. I have to keep pinching out the flowers as they're still too small and I need them to grown. Checked yesterday and they'd put out runners all over the place too, which I've also cut off.
They'll do owt except grown like :lol:

Back