Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
It's a pity like, I still remember getting my only 'like' from her about 6 year ago when I realised don't compare the blokes game to the women's game and just watch it for what it is during some England lasses WC game😊 Politics forum went mental over Brexit.... and just carried on.
I think that’s what her like on your post was mate :lol:

But aye, funny old place the politics forum

I set some more peas off a few weeks back. So you think there's any chance for them if they go out now?

So far I have 2 while pods from all my efforts!

What do you fellas put in the ground for over the winter ?

I'm gonna have a go at onions (toughball) put the seeds in last weekend as per the packet.
I never bother with the over-winter onion varieties mind. I just start off onion sets or seeds in January/February, along with my leeks.

For winter veg, you should already have things in the ground and growing like winter cabbages, parsnips, purple sprouting broccoli, swede, kale, sprouts and leeks.

In October you can sow broad beans, they will germinate slowly, and in the spring they will shoot away, and give you an early crop.

You are not too late to sow spring cabbages, do that ASAP - direct into the soil, and thin them out when they are advanced enough.
You should be OK with the peas until about october. It'll get too cold then. I suppose you know to leave the pea roots in the ground when they're finished ? They're a great source of nitrogen for your soil.
Depends on the variety mind.
As the year goes on, you got to watch out for pea moths laying their eggs in the pods, and of course white mildew, which will knack the plants.

Last edited:
My dad dropped a few young aubergine plants in yesterday, he reckons they’ll grow in the greenhouse over winter.
Has anyone done this before?
Removed the tomato plants over the weekend so just have a few chillis left in.
I’ve got a few pumpkins that are still fully green, do you think they’ll be orange by halloween? 🎃 I’m not sure wether or not to cut them from the plant now as they’ll not likely grow anymore. Ta

My dad dropped a few young aubergine plants in yesterday, he reckons they’ll grow in the greenhouse over winter.
I’ve got a few pumpkins that are still fully green, do you think they’ll be orange by halloween? 🎃 I’m not sure wether or not to cut them from the plant now as they’ll not likely grow anymore. Ta
Leave pumpkins on the plant until you want to eat or there is a risk of frost. They are very hardy and the longer they are out the more their skins will harden to give them a longer storing life.

My timing blows.

Managed to get a decent set of peas away in pots, as well as a few lettuce plants. All ready to go out - but its too late, isn't it???

I'm going to try to keep aubergine plant and a few chilies alive over winter.
Youtube rekons it works

Aubergines - I certainly doubt that they survive a North East winter - the damp and cold will knack them. Unless you have a year round hot greenhouse and self pollinate them??

I still have plenty of tomatoes on the go, as well as chillis, peppers and cucumbers.

As for pumpkins - yes, leave them on the plant. Put some straw under them - to raise them off the ground to stop them becoming damp, and mildew setting in. They will go orange. Halloween is just under 8 weeks away.
Youtube rekons it works
You'll need to keep them warm mind.
Bring them into the house, that might work.
Up here, we don't have the weather.

Aubergines - I certainly doubt that they survive a North East winter - the damp and cold will knack them. Unless you have a year round hot greenhouse and self pollinate them??

I still have plenty of tomatoes on the go, as well as chillis, peppers and cucumbers.

As for pumpkins - yes, leave them on the plant. Put some straw under them - to raise them off the ground to stop them becoming damp, and mildew setting in. They will go orange. Halloween is just under 8 weeks away.

You'll need to keep them warm mind.
Bring them into the house, that might work.
Up here, we don't have the weather.
I've got a polytunnel type of thing, not going to heat it and wont be trying to self pollinate stuff, just trying to keep it alive over winter for a head start in spring.
My flat is too small for all the seedlings I want to get planted so anything I can have ready to go is a bonus.
Overwintered my chillies, and they've barely grown a jot all summer. going to let them die in situ this winter to feed the soil, and put something else in next year.
This has been my best year for the chillies so I'd like to try and keep at least a couple of the plants alive. I already have a load of seeds lined up if it doesn't work.

Last edited:
I've got a polytunnel type of thing, not going to heat it and wont be trying to self pollinate stuff, just trying to keep it alive over winter for a head start in spring.
My flat is too small for all the seedlings I want to get planted so anything I can have ready to go is a bonus.

This has been my best year for the chillies so I'd like to try and keep at least a couple of the plants alive. I already have a load of seeds lined up if it doesn't work.
Understand.
Good luck marra, hope it works for you.

My timing blows.

Managed to get a decent set of peas away in pots, as well as a few lettuce plants. All ready to go out - but its too late, isn't it???
In a nutshell - yes.
By the time the peas send out flowers, the pollinators won't be there to do it.
Lettuce will grow, but the cold damp weather will knack them, as well as the slugs.

In a nutshell - yes.
By the time the peas send out flowers, the pollinators won't be there to do it.
Lettuce will grow, but the cold damp weather will knack them, as well as the slugs.
On the plus side, you've proved you can get peas out of the ground, which alot of people struggle with. Do it in the spring, to plant out after the last frost, and your a winner buddy.👍👍👍

Youtube rekons it works
Just had a thought.
Try a "hotbox" in your polytunnel.
Simply make up a 2 foot square box/cube with wood or plastic, and go to your local horse stables and get a load of the fresh manure. This is still warm.
Chuck the "hot " manure into the box, and with your aubergines & chillis in plant pots, keep them sat on top of the hot manure. Might keep them warm enough in cold weather.
Don't water them much, and they might survive the winter, and start off early.
My old grandad did something like that when starting off early onions & leeks using a "hotbox".

RIP my chillies... I think, only noticed they sprouted a few weeks back, black in colour,still black now, thinking too much sun. Tasted one and just like a pod pea taste.

Back