Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
The seeds said - Cherry tomatoes and Moneymakers. I've only got a small greenhouse.
Ahh right. Moneymaker are a good tomato for the green house, as are cherry.
I have them in my greenhouse this year.
I don't know how large your plants are at the moment, but plant them in large pots/tubs/buckets with good compost - or in a grow bag - 3 to a growbag. I use a 8" pot with no bottom on it, sunk into the growbag itself. And yes plant them deep - up to the 1st original leaves.
But when the 1st truss is formed, then feed it with a high potash once a week, and when the other trusses come, a few times a week with potash or the liquid feed.
As you say, nip the suckers out, and stop them when you have 5 trusses by pinching out. You could also try removing all the bottom leaves up to the 1st truss once all the 5 trusses are formed.
BUT - you must have pollination - so keep the greenhouse door open and windows - to attract the pollinators.

first year with a garden, got some lettuce in pots on the deck, couple of large plater tubs with baby carrots and onions on the go.
youngest planted some sunflowers as well - had planned to lift a load of slabs and tear down an old shed to do a lawn and raised beds, but best laid plans and all that.

Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of mares tail? Noticed a fair bit coming through now. I don’t really want to use glyphosate on the soil, and most of my veg is now in so I can’t dig it out. I think the plan is for all raised beds next year so I might just ride it out.
You don't live in Washington do you? It is all over there any my mam can't get rid of it from her garden. I have the same problem with bindweed. Massive network of roots deep underground, will keep spreading and springs up again within a week of pulling it out. When you cut off the weeds underground, both will fork and sprout again.

The best I know is to keep pulling it out at the first sign of it coming up, even if that means at soil level because you can't unsettle other plants by digging it out. All plants need sunlight to survive. The gathered sunlight produces a number of chemicals that keep the root network healthy. If you can keep on top of it and reduce the amount of sunlight charging up the roots, the roots eventually start to die back. I have managed to eradicate bindweed in some parts of my garden. Still a pain in the arse in others like. Last year, I tried to do just 10-15 minutes a day, starting from where I left off working clockwise around the garden, pulling at any new shoots. If I was watering and spotted any, stop and pull it out. I've even briefed the kids that if they spot any when they pick up their frisbee, pull it out (not sure if the do!). It is only when you leave it, it becomes a massive job.

I don't know how large your plants are at the moment, but plant them in large pots/tubs/buckets with good compost - or in a grow bag - 3 to a growbag. I use a 8" pot with no bottom on it, sunk into the growbag itself. And yes plant them deep - up to the 1st original leaves.
But when the 1st truss is formed, then feed it with a high potash once a week, and when the other trusses come, a few times a week with potash or the liquid feed.
As you say, nip the suckers out, and stop them when you have 5 trusses by pinching out. You could also try removing all the bottom leaves up to the 1st truss once all the 5 trusses are formed.
BUT - you must have pollination - so keep the greenhouse door open and windows - to attract the pollinators.

absolutely spot on advice.

I stop mine at 4 trusses and start feeding when little tomatoes are formed on fitst truss. I use tomorite.

I have a 12' x 6' greenhouse at home mainly for basket plants, I do 25 for me, my son and lad who does all the heavy work for me. Got a very large coner plot so theres loads of bedding plants in there. Around 1000.

Fuchsias, Marigolds and Salvia for borders.

Fuchsias, Begonia, Surfinia, Million Bells, Bizzie Lizzie, Trailing Nasturtium and Nepeta.

got a mate whos Mag daft and asked me to do 3 baskets for him. My surfinia are red and white but when I plant up I'll nip the flowers off so he wont know until they start flowering again

You don't live in Washington do you? It is all over there any my mam can't get rid of it from her garden. I have the same problem with bindweed. Massive network of roots deep underground, will keep spreading and springs up again within a week of pulling it out. When you cut off the weeds underground, both will fork and sprout again.

The best I know is to keep pulling it out at the first sign of it coming up, even if that means at soil level because you can't unsettle other plants by digging it out. All plants need sunlight to survive. The gathered sunlight produces a number of chemicals that keep the root network healthy. If you can keep on top of it and reduce the amount of sunlight charging up the roots, the roots eventually start to die back. I have managed to eradicate bindweed in some parts of my garden. Still a pain in the arse in others like. Last year, I tried to do just 10-15 minutes a day, starting from where I left off working clockwise around the garden, pulling at any new shoots. If I was watering and spotted any, stop and pull it out. I've even briefed the kids that if they spot any when they pick up their frisbee, pull it out (not sure if the do!). It is only when you leave it, it becomes a massive job.

I’m in Chester le street, I’ve just been reading up and people seem to echo what you’re saying, I’ll have a go at just picking when I can see it. Cheers

That’s great thanks. I reckon leaving the door open will help a lot. I’ll need a few more deeper pots.

That’s great thanks. I reckon leaving the door open will help a lot. I’ll need a few more deeper pots.

Don't think leaving your door open will do anything, apart from ventilation. Nearly all types of tomatoes are self polinating now, so all you need to do is give your tomato cane support a shake 1-2 a day.

Don't think leaving your door open will do anything, apart from ventilation. Nearly all types of tomatoes are self polinating now, so all you need to do is give your tomato cane support a shake 1-2 a day.
I have always found that mother nature is the easiest way for pollination marra.
My canes are all tied up solid anyway.
And of course ventilation is very important in a greenhouse.
I go for this method marra.
Works good for me.

Last edited:
glad I am doing it right. this year I bought a cheap bees home and hung it up for it too attract the bees. best crop of apples a couple of years ago when we had a nest of bees in a bird box. last 3 years ive been growing outdoor tomatoes, last 2 from seed. this years crop of seedlings are coming on well for June planting. I noticed that selling now are double growbags, so that allows for deeper planting. will mix that with some rotted well horse manure. also got some tom plants on e bedroom windowsill and they are sprouting away like mad with 3 trusses on some already. funny thing is I dont like to eat tomato

My pak choi has started to bolt so I picked the bigger ones and we had them steamed with tea tonight. Beautiful taste, very fresh and bursting with flavour.

Might plant a few more for later cropping as it looks like we’ll not be dashing off anywhere anytime soon.

My pak choi has started to bolt so I picked the bigger ones and we had them steamed with tea tonight. Beautiful taste, very fresh and bursting with flavour.

Might plant a few more for later cropping as it looks like we’ll not be dashing off anywhere anytime soon.
You need to keep on top of the watering with them.

When did you plant them ?

So does this let the roots develop further with a post into a grow bag?
Basically yes. The bamboo cane goes through the pot and into the growbag.
The plant is in the pot as per usual, and as the roots grow - they go down into the growbag.
By the way, "fluff-up" the grow bag before cutting into it - so the compacted compost can get freed-up. Then pour in a gallon of water into the grow bag to give it an initial watering when you put the bottomless pots into the growbag.
Still use canes and some ancient terracotta pots I got off my Dad.

Only have a few plants in, but wondering if it was time to update my tomato husbandry.
Large pots are good marra. About the size of a 14 litre bucket will be good.

Last edited:
Basically yes. The bamboo cane goes through the pot and into the growbag.
The plant is in the pot as per usual, and as the roots grow - they go down into the growbag.
By the way, "fluff-up" the grow bag before cutting into it - so the compacted compost can get freed-up. Then pour in a gallon of water into the grow bag to give it an initial watering when you put the bottomless pots into the growbag.
That totally makes sense. I'll have to keep you updated now :lol:

You need to keep on top of the watering with them.

When did you plant them ?
they're in containers. Troughs with a little water reservoir in the bottom, but aye probably neglected them the past few weeks and it's not rained much. I read that they don't like being transplanted, but I bought them in a strip so had no choice really.

Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of mares tail? Noticed a fair bit coming through now. I don’t really want to use glyphosate on the soil, and most of my veg is now in so I can’t dig it out. I think the plan is for all raised beds next year so I might just ride it out.
Had it all over my plot when I took mine on. First year u sprayed with Kurtail, no need to damage the leaves as it dissolves the waxy coating and starts to kill down to the roots. It does however keep coming as it will have been in the plot for years and will have a good supply of stored energy. Now I pull it out while I have veg planted. Go down under the soil as best you can by hand and pull it and it does take a bit of root with it. I still use kurtail for "spot treatment" occasionally if there is nothing nearby that could get over spray.

Back