Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
I'd forgotten about this thread. Here's a recent batch of several types of chillies I've taken from my plants and brought back to the UK for my friends and family:

Logon or register to see this image

That pale green one in the front middle (and some darker ones in the bag too - finger/birds eye chillies) are the hottest I have and they are very hot. The rest of the bag is made up of other birds eye, cayennes and jalapeños.
You should not be bringing plant material in from abroad.

You should not be bringing plant material in from abroad.
Says who?

"Within the EU
You can bring any fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy or other animal products (eg fish, eggs and honey) into the UK if you’re travelling from a country within the EU."

Says who?

"Within the EU
You can bring any fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy or other animal products (eg fish, eggs and honey) into the UK if you’re travelling from a country within the EU."

They talked about it on Gardeners World last Friday.

I'd forgotten about this thread. Here's a recent batch of several types of chillies I've taken from my plants and brought back to the UK for my friends and family:

That pale green one in the front middle (and some darker ones in the bag too - finger/birds eye chillies) are the hottest I have and they are very hot. The rest of the bag is made up of other birds eye, cayennes and jalapeños.
Very similar to the ones that I got from @Typhoonftm last year.
I saved some of the seeds, and got a few plants in my greenhouse (thanks once again @Boris Bear). -
These little chappies are fiery little fuckers!!!🇯🇵🤪

I've got 3 birds eye chilli plants on the go atm. Didn't realise they were so hot mind
My chillies are coming on canny as are my tomatoes.
But something keeps eating my strawberries and raspberries
Pulled up some potatoes and a turnip over the weekend and had them for dinner yesterday.
Slugs, birds and wood lice love eating my strawberries and raspberries

Last edited:
Been another decent year for grapes. These are the last ones, have already picked a bowl full five times.

Autumn raspberries doing well, too.

My try with ginger root didn't work out at all. But I planted a horseradish root as well and am surprised by how tall it is over ground. Haven't checked the roots yet, will wait a few more weeks with that. Do any of you have experience with growing horseradish ? Am I meant to cut the leaves off each year ?

And finally, been the best year for nuts. Like ever. They are drying along nicely and only few green ones left now. Tried a couple already and they are much nice. They won't make it to Christmas but I shall do my best to leave them be for as long as possible.

Been a good year for apples, onions, peas, green beans and various berries. Not as many spuds as normal but they did go into ground bit late. Herb pots are still growing like mad, have been picking them for months and will dry the rest of them in the coming weeks before putting them out on my tiny balcony for Winter. But am disappointed with my pear tree and my plum tree this year. They both blossomed very nicely and produced decent fruits but two storms in late Summer made pretty much all drop to the ground before they were ready to pick.

Not much left to do this year bar keeping things nice and neat, though the lawn needs cutting a few more times, I guess. Last four things left on my season sheet is cutting the hedges (with my broken bone am getting a helping hand with that this Monday), then the old almond tree (which caused the broken bone hrmpf) will no-longer be mocking me in few weeks time as am more determend than ever to get rid of it now. Replacement already ordered. The two nut bushes need bit trimming. And then in a couple of weeks time garlic go into the ground for next year. And before we know it the Christmas lights will be up.

I hope everyone has had a jolly good gardening year and that your harvests have been plentiful.

Our little cherry tomatoes were late coming through but on a real spurt now and just bursting with sweetness. Chillis galore spicing up everything I'm cooking at the minute. Like @alexander having a cracking apple season, crumble with spelt flour and oat makes for a lovely nutty chewy crunchy top and I even had a first stab at making an apple tart which turned out better than I expected.

Early taties were ok last time we were out in France, soon be out again to check on the main crop.

Disappointing year personally
Tomatoes were very slow and only really ripening now.... Same with the courgettes
Broad beans were average.... Spuds appalling.... Only thing we're drowning in is apples.... Getting them pressed next week for cider

Am thinking of getting one of them water boxes for my window sill instead of my pots. It intrigues me. Does any of you have experience with hydroponically grown herbs ?

Planted six rows of spuds at allotment about ten days or so back. Noticed two tiny spud sprouts had appeared today. Happy Days. Got my usual selection of herbs ready to be put into pots when am sure the cold nights are done with. Next week two kinds of onions go in the ground, got one of them sprouting like crazy at home. Then in late May the ground should be warm enough for beans to go in. Strawberries are blooming nicely and though very early doors still the two hazelnut bushes, which had the best year ever last year, both look very promising again now.

Went to the garden centre today. Got two kinds of chilies. Usualy only get one as I have one growing from seeds each year from the previous year. But then I saw this one and I simply had to have it:

:)

And then one that should be a bit more packed with heat:

After more or less being stuck indoors for weeks it feels good being back at allotment a bit more and getting stuck in.

Have a wonderful season, folks.

I had a new greenhouse problem this year - mice. I just had sweetcorn, squashes, cucumber and a load of flowers for round the pond (I've dug it out to start from scratch), all sprouting nicely then over the course of two nights all was dug up out the modular pots. The seeds were gone and the stalks were left. Took ages to get replacement seeds and source some propagator lids because everyone is hitting the online garden centres. One week on and some of the new stuff has just started sprouting so hopefully the lids will keep them off. I found one small gap that I filled in too, so they might not get in.

Does anyone start peas in the greenhouse? I have had really trouble this year and last. I'm wondering if it gets too warm and damp, because one seed had just fallen apart without sprouting. I just stuck them in the ground yesterday, so hopefully they will grow. My peppers have not sprouted either. They were old seeds from last year. I might have to get plants if the garden centres are opening.

My most exciting thing is I have made my own solar powered, wireless soil moisture sensor. Hopefully I can have it mail me if I forget to water and water automatically when I go away. It is giving some nice graphs of moisture, then the temperature, humidity and pressure in the greenhouse too.

I had a new greenhouse problem this year - mice. I just had sweetcorn, squashes, cucumber and a load of flowers for round the pond (I've dug it out to start from scratch), all sprouting nicely then over the course of two nights all was dug up out the modular pots. The seeds were gone and the stalks were left. Took ages to get replacement seeds and source some propagator lids because everyone is hitting the online garden centres. One week on and some of the new stuff has just started sprouting so hopefully the lids will keep them off. I found one small gap that I filled in too, so they might not get in.

Does anyone start peas in the greenhouse? I have had really trouble this year and last. I'm wondering if it gets too warm and damp, because one seed had just fallen apart without sprouting. I just stuck them in the ground yesterday, so hopefully they will grow. My peppers have not sprouted either. They were old seeds from last year. I might have to get plants if the garden centres are opening.

My most exciting thing is I have made my own solar powered, wireless soil moisture sensor. Hopefully I can have it mail me if I forget to water and water automatically when I go away. It is giving some nice graphs of moisture, then the temperature, humidity and pressure in the greenhouse too.

good tip for peas, runners, french and broad beans. if youre sowing straight into the ground soak them overnight in paraffin. mice wont touch them.

if you have a greenhouse and can get your hands on scrap guttering with ends on. fill with potting compost and sow peas. when they germinate take one end off and slide into planting trench.

potatoes. if you plant in a trench lined with manure. put your sets in place then wash with a mixture of water and jeyes fluid, around 3 tbsp per 2 gallon bucket. youll get the cleanest potatoes ever.

Frosts possible in northern climes tonight and possibly for a couple of nights.

Northern gardeners be aware and protect your tender crops.
Probably too windy for a frost tonight
The ones earlier in the week got my runner beans, i was disappointed as I thought the frosts had finished.
I put a grass mulch over my potato leaves last week. A couple were slightly frost bitten but nothing serious.

Last edited:
Probably too windy for a frost tonight

I put a grass mulch over my potato leaves last week. A couple were slightly frost bitten but nothing serious.
Yes, a few of my pots have been effected too, hopefully they’ll be ok. I just assumed that once we were into May I’d be safe from frosts. Mind apart from the beans and the odd potato plant the rest are doing really well.

Back