Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
My plum tree has been badly attacked by black fly. I noticed trees in other gardens had the same. I've just sprayed the leaves with a washing up liquid, bicarbonate of soda and vegetable oil solution.

Well, blight strikes again. Had to take the halums off 2 pots of potatos today. Hopefully my Tom's in the greenhouse will be ok this year.

Well, blight strikes again. Had to take the halums off 2 pots of potatos today. Hopefully my Tom's in the greenhouse will be ok this year.
Nightmare. A load of my garlic has rotted, not sure what’s caused it tbh. A real kick in the plums as I thought I’d done a good job. That late frost we had in April seems to have done a row of my early potatoes too.

my outside tomato plants have had it, I think. hopefully they will recover if we get some decent weather. the ones inside are doing well most of the trusses have fruits on

Nightmare. A load of my garlic has rotted, not sure what’s caused it tbh. A real kick in the plums as I thought I’d done a good job. That late frost we had in April seems to have done a row of my early potatoes too.
Hope it's not white rot mate. Had that on my onion bed last year, out of action for allium's for 20year +

I lifted all my September sown red garlic on Thursday due to rust, still a good crop and bigger than most supermarket garlic.

my outside tomato plants have had it, I think. hopefully they will recover if we get some decent weather. the ones inside are doing well most of the trusses have fruits on
Mine have fruit on but with getting it on the potatos I hope no spores have floated in with the wind. Might mulch around the bottom of the plants before I water them

I've a raised bed full of onions, how do I know when they are ready?
August time, and wait until the leaves drop and turn yellow.
On a dry day lift them with a fork, and leave them to dry on the earth in the sun for a good few hours.
You can dry them off by putting them in a sunny place, undercover, but not too hot - I put mine on a slatted frame, bulbs upwards, and the leaves hanging down. The warmth in the air will gradually dry them.
So when the leaves are dry, plait them up in a bunch and hang them in your garage or shed where it's dry.

Just used my last ones from last years harvest the other day.

August time, and wait until the leaves drop and turn yellow.
On a dry day lift them with a fork, and leave them to dry on the earth in the sun for a good few hours.
You can dry them off by putting them in a sunny place, undercover, but not too hot - I put mine on a slatted frame, bulbs upwards, and the leaves hanging down. The warmth in the air will gradually dry them.
So when the leaves are dry, plait them up in a bunch and hang them in your garage or shed where it's dry.

Just used my last ones from last years harvest the other day.
Is this the same with shallots? Mine look like they’re not far from pulling now but I don’t want to jump the gun.

Looks like the fire at the pigeon lofts during the week has had an adverse effect on our allotments. Loads of us near to where the fire was have lost a lot of crops that were all fine. Fruit trees, soft fruit, veg the lot all just dying more and more each day

Looks like the fire at the pigeon lofts during the week has had an adverse effect on our allotments. Loads of us near to where the fire was have lost a lot of crops that were all fine. Fruit trees, soft fruit, veg the lot all just dying more and more each day

contact your Local Authority and report it to the County Analyst. toxic fumes

Is this the same with shallots? Mine look like they’re not far from pulling now but I don’t want to jump the gun.

Yes but the timing For lifting depends a lot on when you put the sets in (presuming you are growing from sets). I start mine on Boxing Day in pots in the polytunnel. They are looking like they are ready to lift but I’m gonna see if they swell up and grow more with the rain and hot weather forecast for next week. I’ll keep 80-100 bulbs to dry and store ready to plant again on Boxing Day.

Yes, and as @PigtheBilly says, it will depend on when you put them in.
Shallots will usually split into a clump and then the leaves turn yellow and wither.
Wait until they have done this.
Then get a fork, and just lift them a tad. This will start off the drying out.
When you get a nice sunny day, lift them fully, and leave them on the ground to dry out. The earth around the base will be easier to break off then.
Damn slugs or snails have had a good time with my broccoli, and cabbages. :evil: :evil:
They are bastards like.

Last edited:

Back