Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Yes, a few of my pots have been effected too, hopefully they’ll be ok. I just assumed that once we were into May I’d be safe from frosts. Mind apart from the beans and the odd potato plant the rest are doing really well.
Where abouts are you?

Looked on line and it says last frost date for Sunderland is 2nd week of May

Where abouts are you?

Looked on line and it says last frost date for Sunderland is 2nd week of May
The allotment is at Chester le street, just by the BP garage on the 167. I was pondering nipping down tonight to protect the rest but there was a bit cloud earlier but then I’ve just looked out now and it’s clear. Hopefully it’ll be ok tomorrow morning when I call down

The allotment is at Chester le street, just by the BP garage on the 167. I was pondering nipping down tonight to protect the rest but there was a bit cloud earlier but then I’ve just looked out now and it’s clear. Hopefully it’ll be ok tomorrow morning when I call down
Should be ok. It's too windy to get a frost. Sounds like it's snowing outside now mind :eek:

Hoping to get some sprouts and broccoli seeds sewn today, bit late like but hopefully they’ll be alright.
Not too late marra.
I just put some autumn broccoli seeds in the other day.
My sprout plants (sown in early April) are in the ground now mind.
Try sowing some purple sprouting broccoli seeds now. They will give you produce in the "lean weeks" next February to April when you're not getting much else from the plot.
Also get your winter cabbages sown around now, do them in seeds trays, and plant out June time. 👍

Not too late marra.
I just put some autumn broccoli seeds in the other day.
My sprout plants (sown in early April) are in the ground now mind.
Try sowing some purple sprouting broccoli seeds now. They will give you produce in the "lean weeks" next February to April when you're not getting much else from the plot.
Also get your winter cabbages sown around now, do them in seeds trays, and plant out June time. 👍
Can do an early and late planting and hopefully won't get all the crop at once. The 2nd lot does seem to catch up a bit though

Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of mares tail? Noticed a fair bit coming through now. I don’t really want to use glyphosate on the soil, and most of my veg is now in so I can’t dig it out. I think the plan is for all raised beds next year so I might just ride it out.

Tips for tomatoes please?! Last year I grew them for the first time - 6 plants did not yield that much fruit - hardly any. I fed them, nipped the etc.

This year I have grown them from seed - have about 40 seedlings coming on! - what next? Plant then deep I've heard. Shake them/feed etc? Tips please!

Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of mares tail? Noticed a fair bit coming through now. I don’t really want to use glyphosate on the soil, and most of my veg is now in so I can’t dig it out. I think the plan is for all raised beds next year so I might just ride it out.
My sympathies there marra.
Mare's tail is a bastard to get rid of. Digging it out is a method, but the roots go down a fair bit. I wouldn't try weed killer on it now if you have veg in the ground - and also the leaves of the mare's tail are sort of waxy on the outside, and the weedkiller doesn't penetrate as it should.
After your veg has been harvested, I would give the glyphosate a go, with crushing the leaves a bit to try to allow the weedkiller to do it's job. And keep trying it for several applications.
But leave that plot vacant for a year afterwards. I had a small patch of the stuff on my allotment, and had to do it like that. I still get a touch now and again, but just dig it out now.
Tips for tomatoes please?! Last year I grew them for the first time - 6 plants did not yield that much fruit - hardly any. I fed them, nipped the etc.

This year I have grown them from seed - have about 40 seedlings coming on! - what next? Plant then deep I've heard. Shake them/feed etc? Tips please!
What variety and will they be outside or in a greenhouse marra?

Last edited:
My sympathies there marra.
Mare's tail is a bastard to get rid of. Digging it out is a method, but the roots go down a fair bit. I wouldn't try weed killer on it now if you have veg in the ground - and also the leaves of the mare's tail are sort of waxy on the outside, and the weedkiller doesn't penetrate as it should.
After your veg has been harvested, I would give the glyphosate a go, with crushing the leaves a bit to try to allow the weedkiller to do it's job. And keep trying it for several applications.
But leave that plot vacant for a year afterwards. I had a small patch of the stuff on my allotment, and had to do it like that. I still get a touch now and again, but just dig it out now.

What variety and will they be outside or in a greenhouse marra?
The seeds said - Cherry tomatoes and Moneymakers. I've only got a small greenhouse.

Back