Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

How did people's courgettes get on this year? I didn't plant any but a self-seeded plant took over part of a bed and flowered like nobody's business but never fruited. Guessing it was a hybrid of some kind so not unexpected?

Our self-seeded tomatoes have gone absolutely wild and fruiting like crazy, really dripping with vines of fruit, and a lot still ripening outside, thought I guess we are coming to the end of their chance to ripen up this week.

How did people's courgettes get on this year? I didn't plant any but a self-seeded plant took over part of a bed and flowered like nobody's business but never fruited. Guessing it was a hybrid of some kind so not unexpected?

Our self-seeded tomatoes have gone absolutely wild and fruiting like crazy, really dripping with vines of fruit, and a lot still ripening outside, thought I guess we are coming to the end of their chance to ripen up this week.

reading that honestly makes me want to grow stuff.

reading that honestly makes me want to grow stuff.
Thing is these tomato plants just turned up in the flower beds and went rampant, I didn't even plant them. Guessing some tomatoes rolled off last years plants somewhere down the line and just took it on themselves to grow. Although they aren't in the perfect position regarding sunlight for ripening, they've still cropped amazingly well.

Any foolproof ways to get the 300 green tomatoes to ripen ?
Just take them inside and put them on a sunny surface for a few days

Only got one plant but it's had enough on it to keep us going.

Self seeded tomatoes grew better than the ones I carefully tended... Very slow ripening tho

Had what I thought was a squash plant growing wild in the tunnel but it's produced 2 massive green gourds the size of basketballs.

Waiting to see if they ripen to orange

Oooof nearly put some straight on this week!!!! Thank the Lord.

Just read it can cause ecoli. The good owld smb always delivers.

Fresh manure is too "hot" to go straight onto the ground.
As previously mentioned, let it rot down, give it a year if it is fresh - and ideally when it is black and has no smell with plenty of little red worms in it, then dig it into your soil.
Best time to do this will be early spring, before you plant your potatoes into it.

But don't forget to check the acidity of your soil, and let it reflect in what you plant in it.

For example, I always manure the plot where I am going to plant potatoes as spuds prefer a more acid soil.
For legumes - which should follow your potatoes in the crop rotation, then make sure the soil is up to around 6.5 to 7 ph.
Brassicas should follow the legumes and the soil should be the same. Garden lime will raise the ph for you.

Don't manure the same patch year after year mind!!

If you arent growing anything on a patch over the winter then you can just pile a layer of manure on it and let the worms and frost do the work for you

Edit, obviously an even spread layer, not just a pile at one end

Fresh manure is too "hot" to go straight onto the ground.
As previously mentioned, let it rot down, give it a year if it is fresh - and ideally when it is black and has no smell with plenty of little red worms in it, then dig it into your soil.
Best time to do this will be early spring, before you plant your potatoes into it.

But don't forget to check the acidity of your soil, and let it reflect in what you plant in it.

For example, I always manure the plot where I am going to plant potatoes as spuds prefer a more acid soil.
For legumes - which should follow your potatoes in the crop rotation, then make sure the soil is up to around 6.5 to 7 ph.
Brassicas should follow the legumes and the soil should be the same. Garden lime will raise the ph for you.

Don't manure the same patch year after year mind!!
Cheers mate. It’s in me book now.

If you arent growing anything on a patch over the winter then you can just pile a layer of manure on it and let the worms and frost do the work for you

Edit, obviously an even spread layer, not just a pile at one end
That’s what I was going to do. So ya can put it on now?

Its the ammonia in it that will burn the roots of anything you plant.

Put them in a draw with a few Bananas.

Going to pick them all at the weekend and try some on sunny window sill and some with the banana - there’s some huge ones just no sign of them ripening and weather is deffo working against us now

Going to pick them all at the weekend and try some on sunny window sill and some with the banana - there’s some huge ones just no sign of them ripening and weather is deffo working against us now
The banana in a paper bag or hessian sack is a good one. Something to do with the ethylene the ripening banana releases from what I remember.

Back