C.V. review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loads but they'll say its shite and ask you to pay for them to redo it. I paid cv centre to do mine about 10 years ago and its got me my last 3-4 jobs and countless phone calls
That's exactly what I'd expect too.

And the only way such a business makes any sense tbh.

What a CV should be wholly depends on the industry you work in. You should know better than anyone on here, unless there are people on here who work in the same industry as you.

What a CV should be wholly depends on the industry you work in. You should know better than anyone on here, unless there are people on here who work in the same industry as you.
This. I also change mine slightly for each opportunity I apply for even within the same industry. I have about 20 versions of the same CV just with more emphasis on some bits than others.
I'd also add, from somebody who has read through several CVs when selecting an interview short list, always add a couple of lines about you the person outside of work. It puts into perspective what kind of person they may be bringing in for interview and also gives a convenient line to get the interview going and break the ice. A slightly unusual hobby, or a bit of voluntary work - that kind of thing.

Places still take CVs? Every job I've gone for in the last 10 years have had their own application form. Even if I was handing in a CV I would be writing a covering statement that is specific to that post anyway.
Places still use application forms?

This. I also change mine slightly for each opportunity I apply for even within the same industry. I have about 20 versions of the same CV just with more emphasis on some bits than others.
I'd also add, from somebody who has read through several CVs when selecting an interview short list, always add a couple of lines about you the person outside of work. It puts into perspective what kind of person they may be bringing in for interview and also gives a convenient line to get the interview going and break the ice. A slightly unusual hobby, or a bit of voluntary work - that kind of thing.

Used to do this but I can't fit owt like that on to a one page CV, which is now the maximum anybody wants to see.

Volunteering gives a massive boost.

Should be part of your personal statement at the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back