Buying old vinyl records

Status
Not open for further replies.
just been trying to find out which pressing of the 1st rolling stones album I have, so many variations with label notes & sleeve notes, turns out its a 5th pressing from 1965-68, actual release is 1964 so fairly hard to value.
Me dad recently moved to spain and before he left he brought out some dusty old 7' singles - 1 of which is an original press of a rolling stones track and the other 2 are beatles tracks - dated from 1963.

The sleeve for i wanna hold your hand has this written on it in pencil

"The beatles are 4 slum dwellers from liverpool who cant sing or play guitar" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

its not my dads writing so wondering if it was written by some record shop seller who clearly hated the beatles :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Me dad recently moved to spain and before he left he brought out some dusty old 7' singles - 1 of which is an original press of a rolling stones track and the other 2 are beatles tracks - dated from 1963.

"The beatles are 4 slum dwellers from liverpool who cant sing or play guitar" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

its not my dads writing so wondering if it was written by some record shop seller who clearly hated the beatles :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Home Bargains were doing these a few years ago - got several dotted arondthe place . Just remember to take the actual vinyl out :)

Edit - the HB ones were for individual albums
I've seen the plastic ones that look like frames but once in there you couldnt get them out - the beauty of this is you can get the vinyl out dead easily to switch around etc. its taken them a f***ing age to sort it mind - paid £69 for 2 sets back in August and the bassas are still not here :lol:

it will look cool as fuck when here though

fascinating the more you look into it, the album I'm on about, tell me, the 3rd song on side 2 if it was the 2 min 20 second version the disc is worth hundreds as the shorter version was pressed on the disc by error hence more pressings followed in quick succesion, also due to printing errors on the album sleeves.

It puzzles me and looks like the site was designed in 1991.
Takes a while to get your head around but once it clicks its canny - its a bit of a clart getting the exact version you are after - especially for popular stuff as there will be about 45 different versions each with little differences - the beatles tracks i was on about earlier was a nightmare - literally identifying the different marks on the runout grooves.

EDIT - theres also an app that you can scan barcodes in and it should bring up the correct version for you - might make it a bit easier to catalogue.

There’s a few artists on twitter who do massive retro’s of old album sleeves, vinyl singles with the record companies original logo bags etc. They look fantastic. They sell em to the fans, the band members record companies etc.
There’s even a feller who makes massive cassette covers, proper dimensions on there.

love the little things you find, in or on, other people's records

Filtering to 'ending soonest' on eBay can be quite fruitful. This afternoon I picked up Rush's Grace Under Pressure for £3.19 (plus £3.20 p&p) and Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme for £1.99 (plus £4 p&p).

Currently got a Portuguese pressing of Santana's Abraxas playing out on me Christmas present. :cool:

Bought it from the record shop up Houghton a couple of weeks back. Nee use to the OP I kna but I'll be viewing this thread with interest.

Been looking at Creation label Oasis on eBay today after watching Supersonic last night and it's rather pricey.

A mate's bought a few unwanted joblots off gumtree n that for next to nowt and found some right gems so I've been looking at that sorta thing as well. Had a 22 quid bid in for a load of old Kinks/Stones/Beatles 45s last week but it ended up going for £80!:eek::lol:

Where the record shop in Houghton?

Bet they're laughing on the other side of their faces now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back